Reflection Eastern Caribbean Ship Time vs Shore Time

SeaThruU

On Celebrity, at least when we have gone, they notify you the night before to move clocks ahead or back to match the local time. So "ship time" has matched "local" time when we went.

Celebrity doesn't always do this; it is at the discretion of the Captain whether or not to adjust ship time to match local time if there is a discrepancy. A majority of time it seems they do make the adjustment, but there are many occasions where they do not. Hopefully someone has recently sailed this itinerary on Reflection and can let OP what happened on their sailing so the OP will know what is likely to occur.

We were on the Silhouette last year for the DST change and, since Saturday was a sea day, with disembarking the next day, they did the DST adjustment mid-day on Saturday. I guess to ensure everyone was on the new time before going to bed, so they wouldn't be late disembarking. Kind of strange, but it makes sense.

We sailed on the Reflection December 2016 on this itinerary and we did NOT change to local time.

It was the very first time in all my cruises that we did not and it was a bit annoying...

Sailed the same itinerary (almost) on the Silhouette the next we and we did switch to local again.

So I say that you won't know for certain until the Captain tells you to change your clock (or not) at the end of the first sea day.

Something important to remember. Miami is in Eastern Time, the Eastern Caribbean ports are in Atlantic time zone. But the islands do NOT observe Daylight Savings Time. So when the US is in DST, then the time in the islands and Miami are the same. I find it more obnoxious when the ship changes to island time, going to island time and back in same week is a pain.

SeaThruU...

we ran into this challenge when trying to plan our excursion for St. Maarten (we're on the same sailing as you!). The independent tour operator told us we would be on Atlantic time; however, the Celebrity rep couldn't confirm if it would be Atlantic or Eastern time. Since the start time for the tour was close to the arrival time, we decided not to take a chance of missing the tour. We opted for something different that doesn't start until mid-morning.

See you on board in four weeks...Sunset Bar at 4:30pm!

Susan

SeaThruU...

we ran into this challenge when trying to plan our excursion for St. Maarten (we're on the same sailing as you!). The independent tour operator told us we would be on Atlantic time; however, the Celebrity rep couldn't confirm if it would be Atlantic or Eastern time. Since the start time for the tour was close to the arrival time, we decided not to take a chance of missing the tour. We opted for something different that doesn't start until mid-morning.

See you on board in four weeks...Sunset Bar at 4:30pm!

Susan

It seems, from reading the responses to this thread, that it's up to the captain to change the clocks or not. I've never been on a sailing that did not change clocks to island time. We've opted for a day pass at a resort in St. Maarten so we'll be on our own schedule. See you at sail away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And our Captain on the Reflection also did not change to local time last February. It's annoying that they won't pick a policy and stick with it, especially when you're trying to plan excursions. We also left an hour earlier than the posted time from San Juan. Hope no one got left behind!