Where should I book my cruise?

BoiiMcFly

We can't name travel agency sites here however there are many which are famous or associated with a big box store or other credible business. But basically, unless you find a site that offers cheaper prices and onboard credit better than that offered by the cruise line, there is no reason not to book directly with the cruise line. If you book with a travel agent, then should you ever need to make changes to your reservation, you have to wait for the travel agent to help you. If you book the reservation yourself through the cruise line, then you will be in full control of your reservation.

We can't name travel agency sites here however there are many which are famous or associated with a big box store or other credible business. But basically, unless you find a site that offers cheaper prices and onboard credit better than that offered by the cruise line, there is no reason not to book directly with the cruise line. If you book with a travel agent, then should you ever need to make changes to your reservation, you have to wait for the travel agent to help you. If you book the reservation yourself through the cruise line, then you will be in full control of your reservation.

Thanks!

Dear cruisers, should I book on the official cruise line site or what is the cheapest website to book cruises at? Have looked at several but which ones are legit?

TIA.

To each his/her own, but we never book directly with the cruise line. We have a couple of online agencies that we have used for years. Their basic cruise price is the same as the cruise line, however, we always get a ton of on board credit plus other perks.

The choice is yours.:)

To each his/her own, but we never book directly with the cruise line. We have a couple of online agencies that we have used for years. Their basic cruise price is the same as the cruise line, however, we always get a ton of on board credit plus other perks.

That sounds great, would you mind telling me their names?

Short answer, because they say so. Long answer is because they are part of the TripAdvisor group.

One thing to watch for when looking at TA sites is what the real fare will turn out to be. The cruise line divides the basic fare into "commissionable" and "non-commissionable" portions, telling the TA industry that they will pay commissions on only the "commissionable" portion of the fare. So, many TA's will use the "commissionable" portion of the fare as their "advertised fare", which will be much lower than the cruise line's advertised fare. However, when you book with this TA, you will find that a mysterious line item shows up; "port charges" (not to be confused with "port taxes and fees"), which is the way the TA hides the non-commissionable portion of the fare, and what happens is that when you add up the TA's "fare", "port charges", and "port taxes and fees", you get almost exactly the cruise line's "fare" plus "port taxes and fees".

Short answer, because they say so. Long answer is because they are part of the TripAdvisor group.

One thing to watch for when looking at TA sites is what the real fare will turn out to be. The cruise line divides the basic fare into "commissionable" and "non-commissionable" portions, telling the TA industry that they will pay commissions on only the "commissionable" portion of the fare. So, many TA's will use the "commissionable" portion of the fare as their "advertised fare", which will be much lower than the cruise line's advertised fare. However, when you book with this TA, you will find that a mysterious line item shows up; "port charges" (not to be confused with "port taxes and fees"), which is the way the TA hides the non-commissionable portion of the fare, and what happens is that when you add up the TA's "fare", "port charges", and "port taxes and fees", you get almost exactly the cruise line's "fare" plus "port taxes and fees".

Great post, and yes I figured most would have hidden fees that show up at the end. So my mission is to find some that are free of surcharges (except for tax and the usual fees of course.)

Great post, and yes I figured most would have hidden fees that show up at the end. So my mission is to find some that are free of surcharges (except for tax and the usual fees of course.)

I move around between three TAs, one of which is a big-box store. None have hidden fees or charges. When I was shopping around before settling on these, the reputable TAs I looked at were up front with the full cost. They all quoted the exact same price as the cruise line did, including any cruise line promotions in place at the time. The advantage of using a TA is the additional perks they offer, such as OBC, free gratuities, etc. The one I used for my upcoming cruise added $495 OBC and one specialty dining credit for the both of us. This was on top of the $400 OBC and specialty dining credit that the cruise line was offering with the promotion at the time. The TA more than doubled the perks I would have gotten by booking directly with the cruise line.

I don't do business with a TA that charges any fees.

Edited by sloopsailor

Go to the top of the page to, "Find A Cruise" and go from there.

After you put in what you want there will be a banner at the top displaying

different TA's. ;)

Always READ the fine print.

Edited by janetz

I have sailed many times and have never encountered what you describe. The TA rate has always been the same as the cruise line except I received additional perks that the cruise line did not offer.

I have sailed many times and have never encountered what you describe. The TA rate has always been the same as the cruise line except I received additional perks that the cruise line did not offer.

As I say, some TA's do, some don't. The ones that do, are the ones advertising really "cheap" fares. And the perks the TA's offer are from their commissions.

As I say, some TA's do, some don't. The ones that do, are the ones advertising really "cheap" fares. And the perks the TA's offer are from their commissions.

I realize that the perks from a TA are out of their commissions, but I have never witnessed a "port charge" as you described. And I don't believe that the cruise lines allow a TA to advertise a fare cheaper than what the cruise line does.

We always followed this rule but I took a chance & compared all of them. The actual cruise line had a phenomenal price on our 2018 Grand Suite:D:D We also got some onboard credit & perks.

So compare them all before you decide

We always followed this rule but I took a chance & compared all of them. The actual cruise line had a phenomenal price on our 2018 Grand Suite:D:D We also got some onboard credit & perks.

So compare them all before you decide

Having cruised many times, I always "compare" before I book, and have yet to get a better deal booking with the cruise line.:)

A TA can book any deal that the cruise line is offering for booking direct .

They don't under cut their best source of bookings (CLIA states 65% of all cruise bookings are thru TA's)

That said , expect a good TA to always do better , if not , move on to a TA that appreciates your business