US visa waiver

If this current situation escalates, it is going to have a bad effect on US tourism. Heaven help them, if they revert from ESTAs back to visas.

As OzKiwiJJ said "There are too many other interesting countries to visit without jumping through hoops".

I quite agree and I hope you will all take your tourist dollars to other places. Go to other interesting less crazed places--and have a glass of wine for me :D

ML

I'm very sympathetic to your situation, and mindful of the numbers.

As the saying goes, what can you do?

I wouldn't expect any 'boycott' to have any effect; it would just get dressed up as fake news, or alternate facts, or similar...

Unfortunately, this is probably true. Here in the US, we will just have to take a deep breath, strengthen our spines and hope the Constitution wins out.

I also think it will be quite interesting to see if this has any impact on the US owned cruise companies. I bet they will be watching carefully to see if there is an impact on cruises booked/cancelled by non-US citizens, even for cruises outside the US.

NoWhiners - as long as you support at lease one football code, I'm sure you would be welcome here :)

I will watch this too. Seems like this is already happening, based on real news sources :)

I promise you, if I lived there, I would support all the football codes!! I am envious of your options. And, much to my surprise, all my travelling companions want to go see the AFL match. Took me by surprise but I am happy for their company. You'll be able to spot us--the dopey tourists who don't know what they are doing.

Almost forgot to ask--can we buy beer at the match??? :D

ML

Malcolm T has done the deal with Donald T, like UK and Canada have done. Dual Nationalities from Australia, even from the 'so called banned Islamic Countries' are now permitted into the' Land of the Free, 'Land of Tipping,' USA of A.

Storm in a tea cup.

Malcolm T has done the deal with Donald T, like UK and Canada have done. Dual Nationalities from Australia, even from the 'so called banned Islamic Countries' are now permitted into the' Land of the Free, 'Land of Tipping,' USA of A.

Storm in a tea cup.

Well, to be fair, it almost had to end that way based on the law. I hope it is a storm in a teacup but may be more like Hurricane Don.:D

Love the Land of Tipping thing. Different for you down there but it is our way ;)

ML

Unfortunately, this is probably true. Here in the US, we will just have to take a deep breath, strengthen our spines and hope the Constitution wins out.

I will watch this too. Seems like this is already happening, based on real news sources :)

I promise you, if I lived there, I would support all the football codes!! I am envious of your options. And, much to my surprise, all my travelling companions want to go see the AFL match. Took me by surprise but I am happy for their company. You'll be able to spot us--the dopey tourists who don't know what they are doing.

ML

Yes you can buy beer.

But your also need to have a meat pie with it:D

My reply from the USA Consulate -

Thank you for writing to the U.S. Visa Service Desk.

We understand that you would like to know about entry status to United States under the Visa Waiver Program (ESTA).

If your ESTA application has been approved then you may use that to travel to US for less than 90 days however; if you will stay in the US for more than 90 days then you are required to apply for a Non- Immigrant Visa.

Please note that under the VWP, time spent in Canada and Mexico and adjacent islands counts towards the maximum of 90 days stay allowed under the program.

Please be advised that your entry to the U.S will be under the discretion of the U.S Customs and Border Protection.

Kindly contact the CBP for your query at http://www.cbp.gov/contact.

We hope this information is helpful to you.

Please visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/gss_australia to share feedback on the services we provide.

Have a pleasant day!

Regards,

U.S. Visa Service Desk

Edited by Tara Jane

Storm in a tea cup.

Who cares about the rest, hey?

ML

Yes, of course. but it will most likely be served in plastic cups at outrageous prices.:D

Having dual US citizenship now means that people are obligated to pay tax in the US, even if they have paid tax on their earnings in Australia. apparently this is not well known.

children of one of my friends have had dual citizenship. One of her children has paid a couple of thousand to revoke her citizenship.

Having dual US citizenship now means that people are obligated to pay tax in the US, even if they have paid tax on their earnings in Australia. apparently this is not well known.

children of one of my friends have had dual citizenship. One of her children has paid a couple of thousand to revoke her citizenship.

Interesting. My sister was born in Hawaii. Dad was posted there on exchange with the Aus and US army for one year and we all cruised on an ocean liner to get there and back. I started kindy in Hawaii in Waikiki and apparently even had an American accent! I think (but am not sure) she had the choice at age 21 to choose either and decided on Aus.

Edited by lucymorgan

Interesting. My sister was born in Hawaii. Dad was posted there on exchange with the Aus and US army for one year and we all cruised on an ocean liner to get there and back. I started kindy in Hawaii in Waikiki and apparently even had an American accent! I think (but am not sure) she had the choice at age 21 to choose either and decided on Aus.

Being born pre or post 1990 makes a difference to how it is treated.

That would be great, I have seen some of Canada and would love to see more. However, it makes it a lot more difficult (and expensive) flying to Canada direct.

If you and Rosie come to Canada, we may meet you there depending on where you go! We are about 30 minutes from the Canadian border and we go there a lot!

PS can't blame you for canceling your trip here! I would also if I didn't already live here!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you and Rosie come to Canada, we may meet you there depending on where you go! We are about 30 minutes from the Canadian border and we go there a lot!

PS can't blame you for canceling your trip here! I would also if I didn't already live here!

Party in Vancouver, I'm in.

I have heard of numerous people who thought they had access to the USA being turned away at the border and that was before DJT assumed office.

The last sentence in the first paragraph of the link I posted mentions Congress & the Obama Admin had designated these countries sometime before Trump's inauguration.

Yes I know but these people are from the banned countries, and unless Australian citizens fall under this criteria they will not be stopped at the moment. It is terrible what he is doing but people need to be very careful and not listen to a lot of false information and maybe speak to the US embassy for clarification

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

An acquaintance of mine is a US Resident & a Dutch citizen. Never had problems with detention with re-entry to the US.

I think this has always been the case. If you are a US citizen, you are, expected to file a US tax return. There is a tax exempt amount you can earn in another country, if you can prove you have held residency outside the US, in said country for more than 150 days (?) and I believe for a Australian/US dual citizen the amount of exempt earnings is $108,000. Not sure if that sum also applies to other nationalities. Trying to file 2 lots of tax returns when the tax years don't coincide is a PITA!

Edited by joandian

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.:D

It really does show that so many of our US friends are currently trapped in a situation that is not of their choosing and out of their control until the next election.

I think this has always been the case. If you are a US citizen, you are, expected to file a US tax return. There is a tax exempt amount you can earn in another country, if you can prove you have held residency outside the US, in said country for more than 150 days (?) and I believe for a Australian/US dual citizen the amount of exempt earnings is $108,000. Not sure if that sum also applies to other nationalities. Trying to file 2 lots of tax returns when the tax years don't coincide is a PITA!

I can imagine, I suppose that is $108,000 USD?