Overnight off the ship?

Nodales

My husband and I have an upcoming California cruise where we plan to see friends in two ports, LA on a Friday, and Catalina Island on Saturday.

If we wanted to spend the night with our friends (get off in LA and re-board in Catalina Island), how can we make this kind of arrangement with Princess, if it is allowed at all?

Any advice would be appreciated!

What you are proposing is a violation of the US Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA). You would be breaking up your one cruise into two separate cruises in the eye of the law, at least one of which (both if your cruise is a round-trip sailing) transports you from one US port to a different one without a call at a distant foreign port. It is illegal for a foreign flagged ship to do so in the US. And even if the "split" involved foreign ports if your cruise is a round-trip from a US port it creates a huge hassle for processing the other passengers when there is even a temporary change in the ship's passenger manifest during a cruise that should not have one.

Edited by fishywood

My husband and I have an upcoming California cruise where we plan to see friends in two ports, LA on a Friday, and Catalina Island on Saturday.

If we wanted to spend the night with our friends (get off in LA and re-board in Catalina Island), how can we make this kind of arrangement with Princess, if it is allowed at all?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Only if you disembark the ship in Ensenada and return to the US via land. You cannot embark in one US port and disembark (even for an overnight) without going to a "far" foreign port. The closest "far" foreign port is in South America. Otherwise, it's against the law. Princess cannot knowing allow you to violate the Passenger Vessel Services Act. Edited by Pam in CA

What you are proposing is a violation of the US Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA). You would be breaking up your one cruise into two separate cruises in the eye of the law, at least one of which (both if your cruise is a round-trip sailing) transports you from one US port to a different one without a call at a distant foreign port. It is illegal for a foreign flagged ship to do so in the US. And even if the "split" involved foreign ports if your cruise is a round-trip from a US port it creates a huge hassle for processing the other passengers when there is even a temporary change in the ship's passenger manifest during a cruise that should not have one.

Or they could deliberately "miss" the ship and play dumb when showing up after it sailed away. Then they would have to overnight and the cruise line wouldn't know the actual reason if they were willing to lie and break the law for their convenience. :D

The cruise you are talking about is probably the 10 day Classic California Coastal on embarking on April 11th in Vancouver, BC on the Star, right?

This voyage: http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=9711

If this is correct, maybe other posters can look at the itiniary and chime in about possible PVSA violations considering that the cruise is Vancouver, BC to Vancouver, BC.

Or they could deliberately "miss" the ship and play dumb when showing up after it sailed away. Then they would have to overnight and the cruise line wouldn't know the actual reason if they were willing to lie and break the law for their convenience. :D

The ship would impose the PVSA fine on the passengers, I'm sure.

Hmmm now a conspiracy.

They would almost certainly not be allowed to reboard for the remainder of the cruise as that would create a second PVSA violation--and one that Princess cruises would thus willingly allow. (I will give you the benefit of the doubt that this post was a deliberate wind-up based on the smiley :rolleyes:)

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I'm not one who'd want to give up a night on board, but the hubby was dying for a night of DnD with our friends so he'll have to wait until our next visit! LOL

But as pointed out in post #6 if you are on the round-trip Vancouver sailing then the PVSA does not apply and it is possible Princess would consider your request. Could you at least do us the courtesy of clarifying where you are embarking from--even if you have decided to abandon your plans--so that we know whether our advice was sound or we all wasted our time replying to a question that omitted its most essential fact :confused:

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I'm not one who'd want to give up a night on board, but the hubby was dying for a night of DnD with our friends so he'll have to wait until our next visit! LOL

Yeah, I was trying to figure out why anyone would pay to go on a cruise, then give up a night (or two). Made me wonderi just how "close" these friends are. :D

Yes, I went "there." lol

Edited by Cras108er

They would automatically be charged $300/pp and I'm not sure if they would be allowed to reboard. Plus, the ship would wait as long as possible thinking they hadn't returned to the ship. It costs literally $0,000's per hour of port time. The Captain would NOT be happy.

If you are really interested in doing this, contact Princess or have your TA contact Princess to see if legally you can (not sure where cruise starts and ends). This will need to be pre-arranged and approved a head of time. Since you are leaving soon, contact them today.