Rome hotel between airport and vatican

bethsanfrancisco

hi

can anyone recommend a cheap but safe hotel in between the airport and the vatican?

we will only be staying one night so it doesnt have to be anything fancy..... just clean and safe.

hoping to be able to take public transportation to the airport and the vatican.

thanks!

Edited by bethsanfrancisco

hi

can anyone recommend a cheap but safe hotel in between the airport and the vatican?

we will only be staying one night so it doesnt have to be anything fancy..... just clean and safe.

hoping to be able to take public transportation to the airport and the vatican.

thanks!

I assume that you are flying into FCO? FCO is located about 28km from Vatican City. If you book a hotel between the Vatican & FCO you won't be near the historical center of Rome ... is that what you want?

Using public transit you have two options, the local train to San Pietro (from airport to Trastevere, change there for another train to San Pietro) or the bus that has a stop at Piazza Cavour.

The San Pietro train station is six-tenths of a mile from the basilica, Piazza Cavour is eight-tenths of a mile, so pretty much equidistant.

If you measure to the Vatican museums, the San Pietro train station is one and a quarter miles, Piazza Cavour is just under a mile.

The bus doesn't have stops along the way, so you'd need to find a hotel around Piazza Cavour. There are options in most price ranges.

The train does have stops along the way so you could check out options but consider how much of your limited time do you want to spend just getting back and forth? There is a value to your time as well.

If you are coming in and out via the airport, then (much as it pains me), I'd suggest just staying AT the airport. There are several hotels. From the airport itself, it's easy to use the train to get to the Vatican and back. Advantage, you don't have to drag your luggage along on the train.

Or are you coming in from a cruise and then departing via FCO? In which case I might make a different recommendation...

We are doing the same, cruise ends in Civ and flying out the following day from FCO.

Have decided for convenience we will stay near Termini as we can drop our luggage on arrival and start exploring Rome. Termini isn't the nicest of areas but for one night we will manage. Many many buses leave from Termini to all parts of Rome. We are staying at a convent. We expect to arrive about 11 am and will be leaving about 10 am the following day.

If you are a little worried about the sketchiness of the area around Termini, look at the Boscolo Exedra Rome - about a block or two from Termini. It's a 5* hotel, part of Marriot's Autograph Collection. It's very pricey, but if feeling less worried is your goal...

sorry i wasnt more clear.

our cruise ends in rome, (civitavecchia)

we are going to stay an extra day so that we can see the vatican.

weve been to rome before but didnt get to see everything at the vatican so that is our main concern.

then fly home the next day.

Depending on how you're planning to get from the cruise port to Rome, I see three alternatives:

1) If you're going to take the train into Rome, and then take the train to the airport the following day -- and you want to get to the Vatican via public transportation, then I suggest you look for a hotel near Termini. If you're looking for an American-style hotel (but less expensive than the Boscolo), I can recommend the nearby UNA Hotel. It's quite close to the train station, so you don't have to drag your luggage far. And Termini is a hub for the metro, which you can take to the Vatican. As well, depending on the timing of your flight the next day, you can take the express train to the airport, or one of the express buses. (If UNA Hotel is too expensive for you, I've also stayed at Hotel Sonya, which is Rick Steves recommended and cheaper, but also further from the train station and much more modest -- I didn't find it to be special in any way.)

2) It may be that you have a free transfer to the airport or that you were thinking of sharing a ride there with others. In that case, it would just make sense to stay at the airport (Hilton has a hotel that is actually attached, and another less expensive hotel, the Hilton Garden Inn, which is easily accessed by a free shuttle that runs frequently to/from the airport. From the airport you can get the local train into Rome and make your way to the Vatican.

3) If you're getting a private transfer by car into Rome, you could really stay anywhere that's near transportation -- see eurocruiser's earlier post recommending Piazza Cavour, for example. Or you could stay in a nice, lively area (e.g., near the Pantheon). You can get a bus from the nearby Largo Argentina hub to the Vatican, and you could get a taxi (from the stand next to the Pantheon) to the airport the next morning for your flight -- cost is 48 euro flat fare from the "Centro Storico" to FCO.

We've stayed at the Royal Santina, a Best Western hotel, which is just outside Termini. Safe, clean, and easy access to train and bus to airport.

I know it's just me, but, when someone says something is "safe and clean", it makes me run in the opposite direction. It's not the best way to describe a hotel to me - I want to not have to wonder if my hotel is safe and clean - that should be a default. Maybe that's why I will pay more to stay in an area that I don't have to worry about that. I've walked out of a hotel on more than one occasion because I did not like the area or the hotel gave me a "feeling."

If you want at FCO, I will put my recommendation to the FCO Airport Hilton. I've stayed there a few times. I just hop on the Leonardo or a regional from the station right there into Rome, and take it back. I've done this on my last day/night in Rome before.