Cell phone question (no internet package)

Ok I am the least tech savvy person in the world so excuse my ignorance...but will my cell phone work on the ship if I do NOT purchase an internet package? I assume I want to keep in on airplane mode to avoid roaming charges but can I still text if my phone is in airplane mode?

Basically we are traveling with my child and my elderly mother so I would like to have some basic contact with them thru out the ship we are debating getting walkie talkies (which apparently is a hot topic around here I had no idea) but I fear on their reliability on the ship...so I didn't know if basic texting on our phones is an option?

We are with Sprint if that matters...

Thanks in advance....

Ok I am the least tech savvy person in the world so excuse my ignorance...but will my cell phone work on the ship if I do NOT purchase an internet package? I assume I want to keep in on airplane mode to avoid roaming charges but can I still text if my phone is in airplane mode?

Basically we are traveling with my child and my elderly mother so I would like to have some basic contact with them thru out the ship we are debating getting walkie talkies (which apparently is a hot topic around here I had no idea) but I fear on their reliability on the ship...so I didn't know if basic texting on our phones is an option?

We are with Sprint if that matters...

Thanks in advance....

1. Yes your phone will work on the ship but you will not be able to text or make calls with it in the airplane mode unless you have the ships internet package. It will have to be out of the airplane mode to make or receive calls or texts and will cost you an arm and leg.

2. If you purchase the internet package you will be able to text your family members but only if they also have the internet package. You can purchase multiple packages.

I guess it depends on how much a priority it is to keeping in contact is. We use to take the radios and They worked ok...Problem was getting the person you wanted to talk to keep the radio on and answer you. We don't take them anymore. It's just my opinion but the multiple internet package might be your best choice

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

Freedom of the Sea...is that text package price per day or per voyage?

Unfortunately, it is not available on Freedom. It is currently only available on Harmony & Quantum class... and it would be per phone per cruise.

Also...texting only works if you're texting via the internet and not SMS. Flip phones, most android text apps use SMS. imessage will send via the internet, but only to other imessage users. WhatsApp, telegram, slack are all internet based "texting" apps. If you're just opening up your SMS/Text app on an android device odds are you're using SMS and that will require cell connection and high rates. Just something to be aware of before you get on board.

There is always the old fashioned way.... Plan your day ahead of time and have a check in place and time. (i.e. at 1pm meet in the atrium by the statue). You can also leave sticky notes on cabin doors and voice mail messages on cabin phones.

Was on a cruise with my Mom, SIL and two nephews and never had need to text. We planned ahead and agreed on meet up times.

That's just exact it though, all year around (minus vacations) I have to be somewhere specific at a specific time etc....so I am not wanting to have to be like that on vacation...if say my son and husband are having a great time playing mini-putt or whatnot I don't want them to have to leave to go meet us at said place at said time....so I am trying to figure out the best way to stay in communication without us having to watch the clock, go back to the room and or leave what we are doing to meet up etc....

1. Yes your phone will work on the ship but you will not be able to text or make calls with it in the airplane mode unless you have the ships internet package. It will have to be out of the airplane mode to make or receive calls or texts and will cost you an arm and leg.

2. If you purchase the internet package you will be able to text your family members but only if they also have the internet package. You can purchase multiple packages.

As long as you leave cellular data turned off, you won't incur any roaming charges unless you make or receive calls or send or receive texts. If all you do is text, it won't cost you an arm and a leg. Cost per text depends on your carrier but figure on $0.50 for each sent text. Received texts are less and may be free.

If your phone and carrier supports wifi calling, you will be able to call or text anyone over the ship's internet with no roaming charges.

....so I am trying to figure out the best way to stay in communication without us having to watch the clock, go back to the room and or leave what we are doing to meet up etc....

For that convenience you'll have to pay. Either as was mentioned above at about 50 cents per text via ship cell tower (you need to know what you are doing otherwise you might run up a bill) or via VOOM package and WiFi texting/calling.