Cell phone service onboard?

doone

I am a bit confused so I am turning to the experts here on the boards. Cell phone service onboard Holland America ships, do you pay roaming fees while in international waters and at the different ports? How does it work?

I am a bit confused so I am turning to the experts here on the boards. Cell phone service onboard Holland America ships, do you pay roaming fees while in international waters and at the different ports? How does it work?

Your best bet is to call your carrier. Make sure you have a list of all your port stops handy. You're going to pay a roaming rate on the ship, but it varies. It's as low as $1.99/min for some carriers to as high as $5.00/min. We have T-Mobile, which is really high on the ship, but basically free in almost all ports we've visited.

I was planning to ask a question of a similar character.

In Alaska or Canada I'm not worried about verizon fees. But once I leave port do I need to use airplane mode? Would I know if I'd left Land carriers and was suddenly on the ship network?

I did, but I erred on the side of caution. It was nice to disconnect. Your phone will tell you if you are connected to Cellular at Sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will pay roaming fees while on the ship. The company that provides the services is connected to At&t and for some reason I think it is part of that family.

I am thinking it is about 2.99 a minute for Verizon on the ship. And quite high for data. Verizon has a tool that will tell you what you will pay per minute and MB

In Alaska or Canada I'm not worried about verizon fees. But once I leave port do I need to use airplane mode? Would I know if I'd left Land carriers and was suddenly on the ship network?

You'll want to make sure that data roaming is turned off. Your phone probably uses a fair amount of data in the background, and that's really expensive on a ship - and potentially in port, depending on the wireless carrier.

I can't speak to Verizon, but we get a free text message outlining the rates each time we connect to a new network. We do have to turn on data roaming to get the free 2G data (or in our case, to use our 4G data pass, which costs $25 per week.)

62db5f4a1d9a0fb3c1fdefd2a287e13a.jpg

I have Verizon. You will pay "ship rates" for traditional cellular phone calls and data - too expensive unless it's extremely important! If you turn cellular data OFF, you can receive/send text messages for reasonable amounts .05 - .25 cents. Verizon is FREE in Canada and Mexico (your standard plan works with no extra charges to call, text, email etc). If you are in other countries, Verizon has "TravelPass". For $10 per device p/24 hour period (no other charges), your plan works in the foreign country! Well worth it to travelers who want or need to stay connected with family or work. We always use it on one phone. Call Verizon ahead of time to add to your phone. (You have to turn cellular data back on when in port in order to receive emails/data - and then turn off when you start to sail away!).

I just got back from a carnival cruise last week . I have an iPhone and turned off my data plan and paid the wifi on the ship for $18 something and used the Facebook messenger the whole time and it works for me to talked to my family and kids if they need something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have Verizon and like many said keep my cellular data off. I will turn my phone on airplane mode and only turn on in port to check messages and call home quickly to check in. You will get a message at each port with Verizon saying welcome to xxxx you will be charged blah blah blah

You need to contact your carrier and discuss your needs with them. There's a lot of bad advice on the internet. Get the straight story from your carrier.

Depending on your phone type, it's also possible to turn airplane mode on and then turn WiFi back on. This leaves the cellular radios off and the WiFi radio on. If you can do this, you can connect to the ship WiFi but not Cellular at Sea. There are a few free things on the ship's intranet like daily guides, menus, and check your account. You would still have to pay for minutes to use the broader Internet.

Try it out at home before you get on the ship.

Airplane Mode = On (This should turn off all the radios by default.)

Then WiFi = On (Should turn on the WiFi only. You can open up any app that needs Internet access to test.)

You can turn everything on again by turning airplane mode off. Or, if you want to turn everything off, just turn off WiFi while leaving airplane mode on.

You need to contact your carrier and discuss your needs with them. There's a lot of bad advice on the internet. Get the straight story from your carrier.

It's not Verizon I'm questioning. Know how to travel abroad with that. It's the coast of Alaska and the ship picking up the signal. If we are along the coast it's likely fine. If Cellular at Sea picks up I wanted to know the ramifications.

It's not Verizon I'm questioning. Know how to travel abroad with that. It's the coast of Alaska and the ship picking up the signal. If we are along the coast it's likely fine. If Cellular at Sea picks up I wanted to know the ramifications.

Cell service in Alaska isn't always (ever, really) optimized for offshore. If you know how to dig into your phone's network settings, you should be able to select VZW only. That will prevent you from connecting to another network. Verizon uses its own network. So does AT&T. This won't work for other carriers as most of them share towers with Alaskan carriers, although T-Mobile runs on AT&T most places.

When you are fiddling with your network settings, WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Or, take screen shots. You don't want to prevent your phone from working when you get home.

Thanks, I did call my carrier Verizon, they said I was all set onboard the ship, I assumed it meant no roaming fees, anyone have experience with Verizon?

Verizon is $1.79 a minute pay as you go on the ship

They did away with ship board plan packages and now only offer a daily or a bundled priced plan for land only when abroad

Canada/Mexico have separate Verizon plan deals though

$1.79 a minute from Verizon. There are no extra charges

However I'd be somewhat skeptical on an Alaska cruise as you skirt Canada

Which might be good if it goes to the $2 daily Canada charge

Verizon is very reasonably priced when using your phone in Canada and mexico

But call 3x

Until you get the same answer 2x

Verizon cust service is notorious for giving bad info out regarding international travel

When calling your carrier - keep in mind - when at sea - your phone WILL lock into the ships service. I was out to sea for two days crosdining the Pacific - my phone rang , Wife said "want me to get that" HELL no. I had forgotten to turn phone Off . It will ring - answer and you Will pay.

Several cruises back, I passed a teenaged girl sitting on the stairs with her phone "I miss you too and I love you" Some poor father is going to get a real Shock.

Enjoy the cruise - turn the phone off, you will live, lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Depending on your phone type, it's also possible to turn airplane mode on and then turn WiFi back on. This leaves the cellular radios off and the WiFi radio on. If you can do this, you can connect to the ship WiFi but not Cellular at Sea. There are a few free things on the ship's intranet like daily guides, menus, and check your account. You would still have to pay for minutes to use the broader Internet.

Try it out at home before you get on the ship.

Airplane Mode = On (This should turn off all the radios by default.)

Then WiFi = On (Should turn on the WiFi only. You can open up any app that needs Internet access to test.)

You can turn everything on again by turning airplane mode off. Or, if you want to turn everything off, just turn off WiFi while leaving airplane mode on.

Just confirming, iPhone in airplane mode disallows text messaging, correct?

Going to South America and getting the AT&T cell & text plan. I plan to only use it on land. I'm guessing when we get into port I can check if the ship has turned off their cellular.

Just confirming, iPhone in airplane mode disallows text messaging, correct?

Going to South America and getting the AT&T cell & text plan. I plan to only use it on land. I'm guessing when we get into port I can check if the ship has turned off their cellular.[/

I just set my phone so I can use it as a camera period while on a cruise at sea

I then use my wifi only iPad mini she I want to check mail or text on the ship using the ships wifi plan which on ncl I take as a perk