Ear plugs recommendation

itchyfeet

Both my wife and i have trouble with noise so we too travel with ear plugs. If you don't mind spending a little I would recommend getting a pair made, have a look for musicians earplugs. They are a custom made plug with a filter, you can choose how much noise you want to block by which filter you choose. Being custom fit we have never found any issues wearing them for long periods.

But as I said they do cost a fair bit more than regular plugs but it depends on what you think suits your situation.

I get mine at Home Depot. They are 3M branded, and work quite well. They are rated at 32 DB noise reduction, which is very good. They are inexpensive, so can be tossed in the trash after a few uses. They are spongy material that you squeeze into a thin rope, and insert in the ear. They then expand to fit the shape of your ear. Been using them for years, even every night at home since I am a very light sleeper and any street noise outside can wake me.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Orange-Disposable-Earplugs-7-Pairs-per-Pack-92077-7-20DC/202080168

They are also available through Amazon as 20 pairs packaged separately.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Individually-Wrapped-Uncorded-Reduction/dp/B01IU9ZDVI/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1486013456&sr=8-6&keywords=3m+ear+plugs

41JjkBHsA0L._SX385_.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor

I use Mac's silicone earplugs that conform to the outer ear. Kroger makes similar ones that are less expensive and work as well.

I use them too. I used to use Flents' wax ones but couldn't find them anymore so now use Mac's. CVS has similar ones non-branded.

I use the foam ones constantly - every night at home as well as when traveling. I've bought some that were too thin for my ear canals even when fully expanded, so compare packages and pick ones that appear to be a little thicker. The HearO's brand works well for me (bought at Target). I think that some people who say they don't work for them don't insert them properly. You need to fully compress the plug by rolling it between your fingers, then insert it to a comfortable point and lightly hold it in place while it expands. Otherwise it can partially pop back out of the ear canal.

I do wake up sometimes with itchy ears, but to me that's better than being awake at night. It the itching persists I apply a small amount of Benedryl cream and all is well.

Edited by Kartgv

Another thing you might consider using is a sound machine. I find that the sound machine blocks much of the noise that would otherwise bother me and no ear plugs needed! I notice my ears itch after using ear plugs or they fall out in the night. I pack a small white noise machine everywhere I travel now.

The earplugs you describe sound like Mac's.

I have a problem finding ear plugs that are comfortable for my smallish ear canals. Traditional foam earplugs re-expand too quickly before I get them settled in my ears.

I discovered Howard Leight's earplugs and they are perfect. Slightly stiffer than foam so they stay compressed long enough for me to get them seated properly. I think the "underwater" sound is unavoidable once your ear canals are completely occluded.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Women-Earplugs-Pink/dp/B003C7OQ7G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1486130266&sr=8-5&keywords=leight+ear+plugs