White Pass Summit and Glacier Point Safari on same day

gags9999

Hi everybody. We are going on an Alaska Cruise aboard Carnival Legend this June and we have a rather long port time at Skagway (7am to 9pm). I am therefore considering doing White Pass Summit roundtrip train tour as well as Glacier Point Safari on the same day. White Pass Summit tour leaves at 8:30am and lasts for 3 hours. While Glacier Point Safari tour departs at 1:30pm and lasts for 6 hours. Is this a feasible itinerary?

Secondly, booking through an independent operator (Alaska Excursions) is saving me $100. Would I have any problem booking White Pass and Glacier Point independently or is it better to stay with cruise line for peace of mind? Thanks.

Thanks everybody for the reassurance. Budget Queen, I am looking at the tour provided by Alaska Excursions which seems to be highly rated on Trip Advisor. The website doesn't have complete details, specially regarding cruise ship passengers. So, have mailed them and awaiting their reply. Can somebody recommend any other operator out of Skagway for Glacier Point Safari? Thanks.

We loved the Glacier Point Safari. I think we booked through Alaska Excursions. However, it appeared to me that no matter who you booked with (cruise line, Alaska excursions, or other) you ended up with the same 3rd party company and basically ended up on the same boat with the same guides at the Glacier. I suppose if you book through the cruise line there may be a little more peace of mind in that they may comp you or hold the ship if late. However, it appeared to me this is an excursion that was well organized and I didn't feel there was much of a chance of being late. The only drawback is that when we exited off the boat in Skagway, there was quite a bit of confusion as to which guide to meet, - depending on who you booked with. However, as I said it didn't really matter as the groups ended up together anyway.

We loved the Glacier Point Safari. I think we booked through Alaska Excursions. However, it appeared to me that no matter who you booked with (cruise line, Alaska excursions, or other) you ended up with the same 3rd party company and basically ended up on the same boat with the same guides at the Glacier..

Alaska Excursions is the vendor for Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. If you book with them or with the ship - you use the same vendor.

Alaska Excursions is the vendor for Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. If you book with them or with the ship - you use the same vendor.

That sounds great. I am still waiting for their reply, this being a weekend. The only doubt is about their cruise related policies as their website fails to give an information in this regard. Do they offer a similar guarantee like other websites that we won't miss our cruise ship or would get a full refund in case of delays or failure to dock?

That sounds great. I am still waiting for their reply, this being a weekend. The only doubt is about their cruise related policies as their website fails to give an information in this regard. Do they offer a similar guarantee like other websites that we won't miss our cruise ship or would get a full refund in case of delays or failure to dock?

Some of these companies in Alaska work 15 hours a day in the summer and they vacation during the coldest months in the winter. Sometimes it is difficult to get a hold of these vendors in the winter. Hopefully you will hear from them but just heads up.

Let me ask you this - is the ship running the tour at the same time, if so you have nothing to worry about! You will be with the cruise ship tour people.

These companies depend 95% of their income and reputation on cruise ship passengers. I have not heard one person ever say in Alaska that their private tour did not get them back on time.

The tour that you are booking is a "hidden gem". It is not a tour that many book like "the train" or "dog mushing" but it is ranked extremely high every year by those who go on it. Though every year, it does become more popular.

Some of these companies in Alaska work 15 hours a day in the summer and they vacation during the coldest months in the winter. Sometimes it is difficult to get a hold of these vendors in the winter. Hopefully you will hear from them but just heads up.

Let me ask you this - is the ship running the tour at the same time, if so you have nothing to worry about! You will be with the cruise ship tour people.

These companies depend 95% of their income and reputation on cruise ship passengers. I have not heard one person ever say in Alaska that their private tour did not get them back on time.

The tour that you are booking is a "hidden gem". It is not a tour that many book like "the train" or "dog mushing" but it is ranked extremely high every year by those who go on it. Though every year, it does become more popular.

Yes, the timings are the same as cruise ship. In-fact all websites offering this tour has same time slots and similar itinerary. So it seems likely that it is a tour run by a single operator but promoted through other tour operators too. I was only apprehensive about Alaska Excursions as their website doesn't offer much information.

Yes, the timings are the same as cruise ship. In-fact all websites offering this tour has same time slots and similar itinerary. So it seems likely that it is a tour run by a single operator but promoted through other tour operators too. I was only apprehensive about Alaska Excursions as their website doesn't offer much information.

Alaska Excursions is the ONLY tour operator for this excursion:

https://www.alaskaexcursions.com/about/

Thanks for the information. I'll go ahead and book with them as only a few seats are remaining on the day of my tour. Thanks again to everybody for helping me out.

You will have a blast!

As someone else pointed out, when you get off the ship, there will be the cruise line people and their sign out, you will need to search for the tour operator which may be at the end of the pier. It won't be that difficult and I am sure they will send you instructions. Good job saving money!

You will have a blast!

As someone else pointed out, when you get off the ship, there will be the cruise line people and their sign out, you will need to search for the tour operator which may be at the end of the pier. It won't be that difficult and I am sure they will send you instructions. Good job saving money!

Thanks Coral. I find that switching to independent operators, I am saving around $400 for all the excursions. I can now think of splurging them on a beverage package :)

Is it possible to do both of these when in port with Royal Caribbean from 7 am to 8:30 PM? I would imagine all aboard would be at 8. Glacier Point has departure times of 7:30 am and 1:30 pm. The latest train departure is 4:30 pm, while the earliest is 8:15 am. Is this doable and which order would be recommended?

Is it possible to do both of these when in port with Royal Caribbean from 7 am to 8:30 PM? I would imagine all aboard would be at 8. Glacier Point has departure times of 7:30 am and 1:30 pm. The latest train departure is 4:30 pm, while the earliest is 8:15 am. Is this doable and which order would be recommended?

In my case, I'd be booking a White Pass Summit Train & Bus tour with Chilkoot which leaves at 7:30am and is back by 11am. I have a good buffer of two and a half hours before Glacier Point Safari tour at 1:30pm. That tour should be back by 7:30pm while my all aboard time should be 8:30pm.

The same should workout for you provided your cruise line offers the same Glacier Point excursion is same time slot of 1:30pm. As you can gather from the above replies, there is only one vendor and if the cruise line offers the same tour, you are virtually guaranteed to be back in time.

Otherwise you can choose to go on a morning Glacier Point Tour which should be back by 1:30pm and take a later train.

The trip is amazing, but you might want to be aware that weather can comeinto play. We had a seriously rough go (multiple people got sick as it was quite bumpy) to the point they (the tour operator) admitted lying to us that it would be easier going back as there were concerns that some would not get back on the boat to go home! Hopefully you have a smooth trip but I would make sure to plan for the worst. one poor guy on our trip was very green hours after we returned and my back was seriously unhappyfrom the impact of waves that felt like we were running into a building. If you plan to do both, I would do the railroad first, as if you hit a bad day you may find the rest if the day difficult &it would be a shame to miss the 2d excursion.