Silly question...

svnaaa

Hi!

I'm brand new to cruising and traveling in general. I'm petrified of flying, so cruising is something I'd like to tackle before I decide to fly.

I'm interested in embarking on a long cruise overseas since the next two years of my life are going to be dedicated to being a slave to school. Say a cruise is a 16-night cruise. The itinerary is clearly laid out from departure with every port/or "at sea" each day. Do you take a flight back home? Or does the ship go back and those days are not included on there?

Probably a very silly question, but I can't find anything on this. :o :o

Yes, if the itinerary has a different last port listed than the first port, this is a one-way or "open jaw" cruise, and you would have to fly home from the last port. As stated above, the majority of cruises are "closed loop", where the last port is the same as the first port, and this would be listed in the itinerary. There are no "secret" or "unlisted" days on a cruise itinerary.

If you take a repositioning cruise where the ship is moving, let's say, from Europe in the summer to fall and winter in the Caribbean, it won't go back to Europe until spring. You don't indicate where you live, but you could drive to a port and take a cruise that comes back to the same port you embarked from. For instance, a New England cruise that leaves from Boston and comes back to Boston.

If you could tell us where you live now, what "overseas" means to you, we may be able to provide more information.

Roz

The itinerary is clearly laid out from departure with every port/or "at sea" each day. Do you take a flight back home? Or does the ship go back and those days are not included on there?

If you post more details about your plans it will be easier to give an accurate answer to your question. What part of the world do you live in? Where are you thinking of taking a cruise?

Caribbean cruises often return to the same port that began the sailing. If not it is clearly stated in the itinerary.

These are usually referred to as 'closed loop' cruises. Ports in Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, New York and others offer closed loop itineraries.

To go further, if you are doing a full transit of the Panama Canal, you sail from one beginning port to and ending port. After the 'end', you are responsible for your transportation. So, if you have sailed from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego, you can get home however you like...rental car, train, plane....:)

Sailings in Europe may or may not be closed loop.

To do a longer cruise like you are suggesting approx. 16 days, you might look into doing a Back to Back cruise, where you do a normal 7 days cruise and you do the next cruise on the same ship, without having to worry about flying back to a different port from where you started.

Some ships in the summer will do an Eastern Caribbean for 7 days and the next cruise is a Western Caribbean, which all start at the same home port. You will visit different ports of call. The good thing about this is that if you are an American Citizen you don't even need a passport for this type of cruise, just a certified birth certificate and a government issued ID.