Sorry, Perks question

Crzy4my2

I did search but I didn't see anything that answered my question..So I'm sorry if it is out there. a little back story if needed..We cruise out in a few weeks. It was supposed to me, DH, DS15 and DD13 and my parents. Due to a family members medical situation, found recently, my DH won't be coming with us (this family member was supposed to cruise with us too). The cruise is paid for, and we have specialty dining and the UBP.. I have been told to have my husband be a no show and file the claim after the trip with the family members medical records, because if I cancel now, DS15 would be moved to the 2nd passenger and I would have to pay an additional $1100 for him to cruise...anyway, I only got the UBP for my DH, I don't drink alcohol and I don't drink soda. I like iced tea, water and non alcoholic frozen drinks. When I get on the ship can I change it from the UBP to the internet package? is it too late because the trip is less than 2 weeks away? I bought the kids the soda package already. Thank you for your time.

You should consider doing two things. First change your perks, then switch one of your children to the second person in the cabin. Then you will lose less, because it is not likely that insurance is going to cover your husband not sailing unless the family member is one of your minor children or you have exceptional insurance.

I suggest you verify your insurance. Some require you to cancel and not wait, due to there might be less than 100% cancellation fee at this point? The insurance will know when you found out and their whole priority is paying minimum or not at all.

You need to change that perk- if allowed= now. A lot of reports of no changes on board including a traveling companion.

Agree with above, you probably have to cancel with the cruise line if you want to make an insurance claim. There is a risk they will increase the fare for one of the remaining passengers, but many insurance policies cover that, too.

If they say they are going to have to adjust the fare, and you want to avoid that, ask them if they can first move the passengers around so that your husband is guest 3 or 4, and then cancel him.

It's my DH's brother, we found out about 2 weeks ago. he is having surgery a few days before the cruise. I called the ins. company and told them and they said submit my BIL's medical records. When I called NCL, that's when they told me to have my DH be a No-show or I'll have to pay the $1100.. I guess it's a wash. I don't have an additional $1,100 to dish out 2 weeks before the cruise, so either way I could lose out. I could pay the $1,100 for DS to be moved to the 2nd passenger and still not get my DH's $1500 back, putting me out $2600.. not that losing $1500 is OK but it's better than $2600 :(

It's my DH's brother, we found out about 2 weeks ago. he is having surgery a few days before the cruise. I called the ins. company and told them and they said submit my BIL's medical records. When I called NCL, that's when they told me to have my DH be a No-show or I'll have to pay the $1100.. I guess it's a wash. I don't have an additional $1,100 to dish out 2 weeks before the cruise, so either way I could lose out. I could pay the $1,100 for DS to be moved to the 2nd passenger and still not get my DH's $1500 back, putting me out $2600.. not that losing $1500 is OK but it's better than $2600 :(

If you bought the travel insurance through Trip Insurance Store, give them a call. They will be able to tell you how to handle it the right way and save you from a little mistake that could cost you money. If you bought the insurance through any other source, give them a call and find out how to handle it. A lot of the policies cover cancellation if a close family member gets sick, and usually siblings are included in that. But if you change the booking before hand the insurance might not cover anything.

So call the insurance agent and follow their rules to get reimbursed. If you don't follow their rules, you have no hope of getting reimbursed, especially since NCL certainly won't help you after final payment.