Sickness on the Divina

KevintheIrishDJ

We just disembarked from the Divina. We were with a group of over 500. At least 10% became sick, including my wife and myself. Every day at mass, more people were coughing. The stores onboard do not sell cough medicine. “Sir, you can go to the Medical center ($200 for the visit and 5 pills) or you can wait till the next port.” The line was down the hallway for the medical center.

The ship did have hand sanitizers; however, some did not work properly and there were no crew members encouraging you to use them.

We tried to eat dinner in the buffet. The food is TERRIBLE. Only 3 or 4 choices in addition to burgers and hot dogs that were on the hot table so long that the buns and fries were hard as a rock.

So you never said "excuse me can I have some fresh fries" or whatever you wanted? You want to be told like a child to wash your hands and use hand sanitizer?

Clearly someone came aboard sick and it spread from there. In my experience the Divina was the most spotless ship, being constantly cleaned and sanatized day in, day out.

It happens to the best of them. We always pack tablets for such sickness just in case (never needed them) but pack them anyway. They take no room in your luggage.

If you look at the roll call for the week of January 19th al whole bunch of us are saying that we all developed a bad cold on the Saturday that we disembarked ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We only had stinking colds that developed the afternoon after disembarking, the only inconvenience was having to buy DayQuil at airport for flight home at $8.99 for 8 tablets! And that was our fault for not stopping at a pharmacy!

We were not aware of people coughing and spluttering on board and just accept it's one of those things.

At least it wasn't the dreaded Noro!

We didn't see any questionaire either and suspect that it's a useless form anyway. Who's going to admit to being sick when they're boarding a ship for a vacation...?

Not once have I ever seen someone say they're suffering from a cold or flu when boarding. I know someone has to be sick otherwise the virus wouldn't spread like wildfire, just touching a handrail, in the hallway, on the stairs... the virus gets spread easily. And, it makes me want puke when I see a woman leave the public washroom after rinsing her hands... no soap, no hot water, just a 2 second rinse.... yuck... I make sure I use paper towel to open the door for sure.

I think you're just as likely to pick up a virus at the airport, boarding a plane, as you are boarding a ship. I think there are more rules and regs when it comes to cleanliness on a ship than a on a plane.

Obviously during the colder winter months cold and flu are a lot more prevalent. Some years are worse than others. This has been a pretty hard season for colds and pneumonia and many people have been sick who didn't travel. When I do get sick I never blame the cruise line, airline, hotel etc. This is just a nature of the beast and taking precautions with the hand sanitizers and such is your best bet but sometimes you are just going to get sick, bottom line!!

Has nothing to do with MSC . Thats why I never go on vacation without medicine . Aspirin,Advil,Benilyn,Imodum always with me .

Agree!

We had everything but cold medicine!

We just disembarked from the Divina. We were with a group of over 500. At least 10% became sick, including my wife and myself. Every day at mass, more people were coughing. The stores onboard do not sell cough medicine. “Sir, you can go to the Medical center ($200 for the visit and 5 pills) or you can wait till the next port.” The line was down the hallway for the medical center.

The ship did have hand sanitizers; however, some did not work properly and there were no crew members encouraging you to use them.

We tried to eat dinner in the buffet. The food is TERRIBLE. Only 3 or 4 choices in addition to burgers and hot dogs that were on the hot table so long that the buns and fries were hard as a rock.

Is that one of those things where everyone drinks from the same cup? Errrr.......

How was the bacon?

So you never said "excuse me can I have some fresh fries" or whatever you wanted? You want to be told like a child to wash your hands and use hand sanitizer?

Clearly someone came aboard sick and it spread from there. In my experience the Divina was the most spotless ship, being constantly cleaned and sanatized day in, day out.

It happens to the best of them. We always pack tablets for such sickness just in case (never needed them) but pack them anyway. They take no room in your luggage.

In the evening, everything is pre cooked and put in the "steam tray". You cannot get fresh fries if you tried. We always use the hand sanitizer.

We went to the buffet only once for the pizza, and walked around part of the area in the buffet. There was all different stations of food pasta bar, carved meats roast beef, chicken salad bar etc. I don't understand why people down play all the food at the buffet. Crowded yes we aren't buffet people so that's why we only went one and we were in the YC so had no reason to return. Either people try to down play that area or are just blind not sure.

We went to the buffet only once for the pizza, and walked around part of the area in the buffet. There was all different stations of food pasta bar, carved meats roast beef, chicken salad bar etc. I don't understand why people down play all the food at the buffet. Crowded yes we aren't buffet people so that's why we only went one and we were in the YC so had no reason to return. Either people try to down play that area or are just blind not sure.

Agree you just have to walk around to see everything!

Agreed but some just want junk and when they don't get junk.... look out! Then it's "All the food is terrible, I can't eat anything " [emoji849]

Clearly didn't look further than the usual food suspects, it's huge in there.