Verizon

Rick32

We have Verizon and could someone please tell me the best options for using phone on a minimal amount? Gonna be on Lady G next week for 12 nights to S. Caribbean. Thanks

The best option is to not use it at all. Put it in airplane mode when you board and leave it there. If it is necessary to use it, find somewhere at a port with free wifi and connect to the wifi there. If you use the cellular service, you will be charged and it WILL be expensive.

The best option is to not use it at all. Put it in airplane mode when you board and leave it there. If it is necessary to use it, find somewhere at a port with free wifi and connect to the wifi there. If you use the cellular service, you will be charged and it WILL be expensive.

Agree totally.

What is the "Lady G".

I'll look elsewhere for answers.

I believe that you got your answer. You asked for the best way. If want to use cellular service at sea there is only one way.

If you are not at all concerned with the cost, most cruise lines have cell service available through their own "tower" (with Carnival and Royal Caribbean it is Cellular at Sea). The use is very expensive and the service spotty. Here is the link to Royal Caribbean's site regarding cell service. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_services_and_accessibility

Reread my question, never said at sea.

You also did NOT say in the ports. My assumption was reasonable.

If you want to use it in the ports, I would recommend contacting Verizon to obtain an international calling plan.

The least expensive way to use it in ports is to find somewhere with free wifi and use wifi calling, FB calling, Whatsapp, or some other wifi enabled method of calling. This will not use any cellular service, and no cost.

Rick,

Call Verizon and get an International plan. Verizon will ask you what ports you are going to and on what day and customize the plan for that. I typically get 1 hour talk and unlimited text. The main reason I get this is because I have been caring for my elderly parents if there were an emergency, that should give me enough talk to solve the problem and/or make decisions. Other than that, I have the caregivers email me a daily report, so if an issue comes up, I usually just email them back or text them when in port.

Without an International Plan using your cellphone in port could lead to mega charges. I didn't know this the first time I cruised with my cellphone and ran up $400 with just 3 brief calls to my parents. After that happened, I called the cellphone company and they advised me what to do to keep the charges in check. Nowadays, what I get only costs $60 for a week.

I used Verizon last year for a transatlantic crossing and visits to England and Germany. You can get a one month International plan that will automatically expire after 30 days. Turn off data services so you can use the phone for voice only. (Data services are where newbies naively run up astronomical cell phone bills.) Keep voice calls brief and to the point.

You will need a globally-enabled phone and your SIM card will have to be entered into Verizon's system. The first time I did this I was on my land line with the Verizon agent for about 45 minutes - the SIM card had to be removed from my cell phone and the 20-digit number printed on the card read to the agent. That's 20 digits on a chip the size of a pinkie nail so have a magnifier handy. Don't wait until the morning of your departure to arrange this.