"Transfer to Rome" drop off and pick up location?

WayneFougere

These sites are not far from each other. Did you Google walking distance from Piazza Popolo to Piazza Navona? Just did. Says 20 min walk.
You obviously didn't see my map. As much as map apps help define routes and times, we don't all walk at the typical 3 mph (~4.9 kmph) and I'll bet the calculation doesn't include compensations for terrain features.

My original map shows a 7.6 km loop that takes a 1 hr 33 minute non-stop walk (a pace of about 5kmph). If I assume half that speed to capture small breaks and picture taking, add 1 hour at the Pantheon and St Peter's Square each, 15 minutes each at the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Campidoglio, and Piazza Navona, I will have hit 6 hours without even stopping for lunch. That seems likely to suggest that we'll miss the bus. If I take a taxi between the Vatican and Piazza Popolo, I reduce the walking distance to 5.6 km and the time estimate by 27 minutes. Factoring in potential traffic congestion, I probably either need to take another taxi (from Piazza Navona to the Vatican) or drop Piazza San Pietro from the itinerary altogether. Rather than making such a rash decision now, when we're in Rome walking to each stop, I'll keep any eye on on the clock and search for taxis if needed.

Regards,

Wayne

Why not take the train from Civitavecchia to Roma. It is so easy and frequent. You can get off at St Petros Station for the Vatican or go on to Roma Termini and walk down to the Forum and Coliseum.

We have found the train is faster than the bus into Rome from the port. There is a train to return to port every hour. Just my thoughts.

Check the strike schedule before any decision is made about Roman/Italian public transportation.

Edited by SadieN

Hi Wayne, take a look at http://www.gruppobisozzi.com

Email address;-ncc@gruppobisozzi.com

Address it to Dario the CEO in English but ask for MICHAEL to be your driver.

Michael speaks perfect English & we've used him for the past 2 years for our pick- ups from our cruise ship. Last year, he arrived early & had already filled the minibus by the time we'd got off the ship with other fellow passengers- mainly ladies but wouldn't have expected anything else from him being the Italian Stallion, albeit an older version. Michael is HIGHLY amusing & will keep you entertained all day. It also worked out to be a lot cheaper as we all paid €60 per person for a minibus load of us. You could set up an event for fellow cruisers to join you - max 12 people for a minibus load.

He whizzes up & down the small narrow Rome side streets so there's not much walking to do & will spend as much time as YOU request at the Rome landmarks.

He'll then ask if you'd like to stop off at the VERY traditional Italian trattoria where his eldest son works or you can do your own thing re lunch. This trattoria serves up FANTASTIC food btw & is VERY reasonable.

He's obviously become a GREAT friend now & I would NOT hesitate to use his company again.

Prompt pick- up & prompt return to the ship on BOTH occasions to the quayside. I looked down from our balcony last year to see him arrive at 8am. Our arranged pick-up was 9am. Believe me Michael knows EVERYONE even the Rome police!!

You pay him on your return to the ship. Speaks volumes that we've used him TWICE. Enough said.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Uber did not work in the city last time I was there. I tried it in Civitavecchia once to go to Rome but the fare was I think 212 euros so I did not use it.

I would advise taking a taxi to/from St. Peter's as that is a long walk from most places. There should be taxis there. One good way of getting a taxi in Italy is to go into a hotel and ask them to call you one, which they will (I'm sure they get a piece of it).

Expect most places to be very busy if this is Easter weekend. Most of St. Peter's Square requires going through a security check (also for the Basilica) which is slow.

PS when we did our trip to Rome last year, there was a Bruce Springsteen concert on & nearly all of the roads were closed off but no, not for Michael. He just drove straight up to the barrier, spoke to the police who lifted the barrier & we drove off again to wherever we were going. You can choose your itinerary & discuss it with Michael & Dario but obviously you won't be able to do ALL of Rome as there's not enough hours in the one day you're docked there. We've been twice now but still feel the need to return for MORE but for a longer visit. We LOVE Rome!! ❤️

If you are going to walk to St. Peter's you will probably pass close by the Castel Sant'Angelo, the mammoth fortress by the Tiber. It's worth looking at from the outside, though an inside visit on a first visit to Rome is probably not a good idea. The final act of the opera Tosca is set there, and at the end, the title character throws herself off it (no signs warning to beware of falling sopranos).

As much as map apps help define routes and times, we don't all walk at the typical 3 mph (~4.9 kmph) and I'll bet the calculation doesn't include compensations for terrain features.

Google's assumptions about walking rates do vary if there is a significant change in grade (I tested this out on a steep road, same distance but different time calculations going in the uphill vs. downhill directions) but there's not enough grade change on your route to make a significant difference.

You've got stops at good intervals along the way and, as you say, you've saved the longest leg for last when a taxi (or the metro) would be a big help.

It looked to me like you're planning to visit Campidoglio, which I highly recommend if you are interested in architecture. It's a good example of how spaces can be designed for specific effects, in this case to make visitors (even those on horseback ascending the cordonata) feel small vs. the power of the state. (Of course, the impact is not the same for today's visitors who come from a world of mechanical movement and skyscrapers, but if you can put your mind back ...)

We have been to Rome three times. We are both in great shape, we weren't even able to walk from the Vatican to the colosseum but what it took 3-4 hours... the streets in Rome are hard to distinguish and your mobile device can run lots of $$$$ to use a map app.. use taxis. But be careful before you even get in one..! Pronto Taxi is the only reputable consistent company we have dealt with ( we did metro first visit, that was enough). Some taxis do not use meters and will straight up rip you off 30 euros for what should be a 8 to 10 Euro ride in a pronto taxi. You can call them and they will send a cab immediately, there's a few (think 3euro ) charge for that.. we have hailed taxis no problem. We have encountered the crooks mostly outside the main entrance to the Vatican museum and outside Saint Peter's square. Also beware that the metro line to the Vatican and colosseum are highly trafficked by pickpockets. We love Rome, but be safe.

We have taken the train from the port into Termini many times. It is still possible to walk to the gate nearest the train station. The port shuttle drops you off quite a ways from the train station and nearer the new port gate.

The last time we went to Rome, the train ticket included the buses and metro in Rome for a very reasonable price.

Our usual day is the train to Termini, where we get the metro to the Spanish Steps. From there we walk to the Trevi Fountain, then the Pantheon, and on to the Piazza Navona, where we often have lunch. We then walk to the Forum and on to the Coloseum. Depending on your route, you can also walk through the Jewish quarter from Piazza Navona on the way to the Forum. From the Coloseum, we take the metro back to Termini.

OP you mentioned the HOHO, and it is definitely another option to see much of Rome. We did it once, and started our tour at Termini.

As others have stated, it is an easy walk from the Trevi Fountain to the Piazza Navona. The route is well marked, and it passes the Pantheon.

Even though you have booked the transfer to Rome, you could always cancel it and take the train. On our last HAL cruise this fall, we cancelled several shore excursions both before and after we boarded the ship without any problems or penatly. Just be sure to cancel before the booking deadline to avoid a penalty.

Whatever you decide, you will enjoy Rome. It is one of our favorite cities.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
Additonal Information

walk from the Vatican to the colosseum but what it took 3-4 hours
This is my fear of planning too specifically. As much as I want to complete my list on this visit, I've also decide that if I can't make St Peter's Square, it will wait until my next visit. Is there a specific amount I need to throw into Trevi Fountain to guarantee a return visit?

your mobile device can run lots of $$$$ to use a map app.. use taxis.
If charges are a problem, you can always use maps that don't need service, just gps. On the other hand, yo should check rates. I'll be charged a maximum of $10 Canadian per day (to a maximum of $100 per billing cycle) in order to "roam like home". I'll be using data.

Pronto Taxi is the only reputable consistent company we have dealt with ( we did metro first visit, that was enough). Some taxis do not use meters and will straight up rip you off 30 euros for what should be a 8 to 10 Euro ride in a pronto taxi. You can call them and they will send a cab immediately, there's a few (think 3euro ) charge for that.. we have hailed taxis no problem.
Good to know. Thanks.

Regards,

Wayne

I think three coins are customary. I've done it on my past three visits to Rome. I just use small denomination coins.

I always walked in Rome, my favored hotel is near the Vatican and I would walk across the Tiber. As long as you exercise common sense about crossing streets, there's really no place you can't go on foot, and there are neighborhoods that really, you can always see on foot.

I would walk. And plan to come back. I'm going for the day on the Crown Princess in April, just the Rome on your own. They have a choice of bus or train car (private). Intrigued, I took the train car. We'll see what it's like.

Our usual day is the train to Termini, where we get the metro to the Spanish Steps.

You could have saved yourself a lot of time if you had gotten off the train one stop prior to Termini, at Tuscolana, and walked one block to the Ponte Lungo metro station. Trains have to slow down significantly to pull into Termini, plus the track used by the Civitavecchia regional train stops three blocks from the main station. By the time you get on the metro at Termini you could already be at the Spanish Steps, not to mention avoiding the crowds jamming onto the metro at Termini. You'll already be on the train.

As others have stated, it is an easy walk from the Trevi Fountain to the Piazza Navona. The route is well marked, and it passes the Pantheon.

One could start this loop as we like to do from THE colosseum. Walk past the forum up to the victor Emmanuel then to the trevi then the pantheon and then end up at the piazza navona. There's always lots of cabs on this square and so much to see along the route along the North side of the colosseum to the victor Emmanuel and everything is free, expect if u want to go in the colosseum. This is an easier walk in Rome and breathtaking. A quick cab ride and have the cabbie wait from the piazza navona would check Saint Peter's square

You could have saved yourself a lot of time if you had gotten off the train one stop prior to Termini, at Tuscolana, and walked one block to the Ponte Lungo metro station. Trains have to slow down significantly to pull into Termini, plus the track used by the Civitavecchia regional train stops three blocks from the main station. By the time you get on the metro at Termini you could already be at the Spanish Steps, not to mention avoiding the crowds jamming onto the metro at Termini. You'll already be on the train.

I should have pointed out that not every train stops at Tuscolana, many go through but don't stop. If that's the case it's still faster, though a tad more cumbersome, to get off at Ostiense and get the metro there, changing lines at Termini.

Wayne is talking about the "Rome on your own" AKA "transfer to Rome" ship excursion. It's a round trip transfer from Civi to Rome.

He's trying to find out people's experience with where the drop off spot is. The drop off is definitely in Rome not at the airport ;)

Yes !!! you have that right.

We were six of us and rode the tansfer from Civi to Rome and back and it worked finne for the six of us.

My memorey is we were dropped off and picked up at end of day near piazza dell popullo but that was a while ago. My DH and I had spent a great deal of time inr Rome and knew exactly what we wanted our friends to see and do that day and didn't have to waste time getting to and from the meeting place.

Wayne, The Piazza del Popolo is a wonderful place so make sure you plan on extra time to see it. In particular, there are two churches. When I was in a Rome last (January 2016) one was under renovation, but they are not to be missed. One contains a very famous work by Caravaggio that you must not miss. There are several of his works in Rome but they are often overlooked because of the preponderance Bernini and Michelangelo. The guide books will discuss them, but if you need more info just email me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums