Just got back from a Carnival Cruise. Here's how it stacked up.

sapete

As a person who cruises both HAL and CCL I agree with the OP.

I'd like to add my observations..

Crew is better on CCL . They are friendlier and more apt to go out of their way to provide superior service. It's weird because I think they work harder for CCL ( more hours etc)

The cruisers are friendlier on CCL. People seem more open to chit chat and starting a conversation.

But you will see more stupid stuff on CCL. Drunk top less people, vomiting poolside, babies in pools. And yes, this was just in August. Arghhh!

More kids. I like kids, if they are my own young adults. Other people's.. not so much.

There's more of a mememe it's my vacation and to bad for you attitude on CCL. I've experienced it on HAL too but that is not the normal. You'll run into that a lot more on CCL. You can see it here on CC by just reading the CCL boards.. smuggling, ways to bend rules etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your review. I'll have to look up Triumph to compare it size-wise to the other Carnival ships we've done... Spirit (twice), Liberty and Splendor (48 nights around South America!). We found MDR dining similar, especially more recent years) very similar, crew wonderful, entertainment different but good for us, but the Carnival buffet was not as good as HAL back then, so if you would comment on that I'd appreciate it.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, happy birthday! m--

Triumph is same general layout but a little smaller than Liberty

Very good revue of CCL. Nice to know some of the differences.

Does the HAL mariner standing and benefits apply on CCL. I think it used to, but not sure if it still does.

Thanks!

past guest on HAL can get the past guest rate for CCL and vice versa... in all honesty there are usually better promos than past guest, but for times when there are not, it can come in handy

Thanks for the honest comparison. We have always enjoyed Carnival, especially the steakhouses. I agree with other's opinion that they get a bad rap. In my opinion Princess deserves the rap. Only sailed twice but both times food was horrible in all venues. Won't go back for thirds.

I haven't sailed on HAL yet, but I have several Carnival cruises under my belt.

I found the food OK, no problems. No problems with staff either.

My main issue was entertainment. I thought the performers were amateur. There were very few "professional" acts....I don't count passengers performing as entertainment. And there were vocalists who couldn't carry a tune (seriously).

We also sailed on MSC, where the entertainment was superlative. And NCL (Breakaway & Gem) also were excellent.

I'm expecting a more subdued environment as well as entertainment on HAL (based on the demographics).

Thank you to the OP for a fair and balanced comparison! As others have stated, Carnival can get an undeserved bad rap. We've had wonderful trips with them but overall I prefer the more refined atmosphere on HAL. The little touches on HAL [fresh flowers throughout the ship, real china for room service, the Yum Yum man in the MDR] are mostly absent on CCL.

As a person who cruises both HAL and CCL I agree with the OP.

I'd like to add my observations..

Crew is better on CCL . They are friendlier and more apt to go out of their way to provide superior service. It's weird because I think they work harder for CCL ( more hours etc)

The cruisers are friendlier on CCL. People seem more open to chit chat and starting a conversation.

But you will see more stupid stuff on CCL. Drunk top less people, vomiting poolside, babies in pools. And yes, this was just in August. Arghhh!

More kids. I like kids, if they are my own young adults. Other people's.. not so much.

There's more of a mememe it's my vacation and to bad for you attitude on CCL. I've experienced it on HAL too but that is not the normal. You'll run into that a lot more on CCL. You can see it here on CC by just reading the CCL boards.. smuggling, ways to bend rules etc.

I totally agree with the parts of your post that I highlights in red!

I was a bit surprised that you found the crew better on CCL though, especially since HAL is somewhat known in the industry for their fabulous crew. We have had wonderful stewards and waiters on Carnival for sure [including one steward who is possibly the best we've had on any line] but overall I find the crew on HAL to display a certain warmth that is uniquely HAL. They are pampering [sometimes to the point of doting] which is not everyone's cup of tea but I always feel special on HAL.

You comment about friendlier passengers also took me by surprise. I've always made the strongest connection with fellow passengers on Cunard but I would rate HAL as 2nd. I've certainly found most passengers on HAL to be fairly well-traveled and interesting. Carnival attracts many more young couples and families who don't always have the same level of experience with world travel. Of course there are exceptions on either end.

Thank you for this discussion. Based on a party ship reputation I have never considered Carnival. I've sailed on HAL and think it's slightly reserved character suits me. I'm just back from the Celebrity Reflection and found it pretty perfect too. RCI's Oasis of the Seas was a wonder to behold, but I found her a little crowded and overwhelming. Based on many of your favorable comments, I'll have to rethink Carnival. Thanks again.

Vicki

Thank you to the OP for a fair and balanced comparison! As others have stated, Carnival can get an undeserved bad rap. We've had wonderful trips with them but overall I prefer the more refined atmosphere on HAL. The little touches on HAL [fresh flowers throughout the ship, real china for room service, the Yum Yum man in the MDR] are mostly absent on CCL.

I totally agree with the parts of your post that I highlights in red!

I was a bit surprised that you found the crew better on CCL though, especially since HAL is somewhat known in the industry for their fabulous crew. We have had wonderful stewards and waiters on Carnival for sure [including one steward who is possibly the best we've had on any line] but overall I find the crew on HAL to display a certain warmth that is uniquely HAL. They are pampering [sometimes to the point of doting] which is not everyone's cup of tea but I always feel special on HAL.

You comment about friendlier passengers also took me by surprise. I've always made the strongest connection with fellow passengers on Cunard but I would rate HAL as 2nd. I've certainly found most passengers on HAL to be fairly well-traveled and interesting. Carnival attracts many more young couples and families who don't always have the same level of experience with world travel. Of course there are exceptions on either end.

I found that that CCL pax are more chit chatting types. I don't think it has anything to do with being well travelled but more to do with the Carnival atmosphere.

It's a self proclaimed fun ship so I think people have the mindset that everyone has something in common... fun. People aren't strangers but new friends cruising towards a common goal.

There is most definitely a Carnival vibe and there is most definitely a HAL vibe. And most ( but not all, I'm proof of it! ) people seem to act according.

This is probably due to the age demographics but my mom is 75 and she will talk anyone's ear off.

I have to say., on Carnival cruise elegant nights they dress much fancier than HAL. It was weird. People seemed to embrace tuxs and gowns.

I've never ever encountered snide service on CCL. I have several times on HAL. On every cruise. At least once.

But HAL does so much right, thus I booked with them for my upcoming cruise to Panama.

Good suite perks, elegant ships, a nice calming experience .

If I'm cruising to cruise it's CCL. In August I spent maybe a total of 1 hr total in three ports. The ship was my destination. If I'm cruising to experience the ports it's HAL.

The babies in the pool can be very aggravating but I've thankfully never noticed any drunk topless people or vomiting poolside.

DH and I have both lines within the last year.

We did the Carnival Sunshine in Jan for 8 days and again in May for 5. The vibe on the 8 day was more like a HAL vibe The 5 day felt more frantic as if folks were trying to squeeze 8 days of fun into 5 :) Our latest HAL was in Dec for a 10 day partial PC transit.

**Demographics of clientele is different - HAL mainly older and seem to be more widely traveled. Carnival younger and alot more kidlets and large family groups. Of course there are exceptions to each line.;)

**Service was every bit as good on CCL as HAL

**Boarding in Pt Canaveral is a shorter trip for us - we can drive it in one day and save spending $$ on a stopover each way. Pt C is very convenient getting to the port on embarkation day.

**No BB King on CCL but (besides the shows in the theater each night like HAL) there was a live band playing different genres of music in the Ocean Bar every night. We missed having live bands after late fixed dining and the theater show on HAL except for BB Kings show.

**HAL wins for room service breakfast because of hot food selections.

**CCL Sunshine wins lunch with many, many choices of food outlets.including Cuban, Asian, Italian, Mexican, a made to order Deli, Pizza, Guys Burgers, Lido buffet, and a Sea Day Brunch in the MDR. (also 24/7 self-serve soft ice cream and froyo):)

**We're not foodies who eat many gourmet meals but do appreciate a tasty dinner :) The HAL menu leaned more to the gourmet side while CCL leaned more to the "normal" side as the menu is referred to as the "American Table". Both line's meals were cooked well based on the type of menu they presented.

We like both lines although for companionship of other cruisers I think we'd pick HAL and for food CCL :D