Just got back from a Carnival Cruise. Here's how it stacked up.

sapete

As promised, here's a short review on my recent Carnival cruise with my comparison to HAL. We decided to do a short New-Orleans based cruise for my birthday. Three days in New Orleans, the a five-day Mexico cruise and the 2 days in N.O. after the cruise.

We just returned off the Carnival Triumph cruise and I have to say I was impressed--Carnival met or exceeds HAL is all areas but suite perks. Our Grand Suite (think Neptune SA) only had two bottle of water and one bag of laundry as in-suite perks. Other perks match HALs with embarkation and departure perks and a special GS line vs Neptune concierges. The suite itself was a first cousin to an SA.

Entertainment: This category goes to Carnival. You have to really try to get bored.

Service: Smiles all around. Not an issue

Passengers: The demographic was much wider than HAL's. Truly ran from 20's to 70s. We were the "older" couple. Everyone just having fun.

Embarkation and Disembarkation: We "dragged" our rollies both on and off and so it was a simple walk-on, walk-off.

Food and drink: I left this for last. Much to DW's and my surprise Carnival took this category hands-down other than room service (where HAL is hard to beat). Multiple venues for every meal, Steakhouse offerings beat the Pinnacle (best lobster I have had on a ship). The Seafood Shack on board had tempura-fried shrimp, fried clams, lobster rolls, snow crab by the pound, oyster on the half-shell. All these for a minor charge but all worth it. At almost every meal DW or myself would say, Carnival wins on this one. I was not expecting this.

Drinks: We went with the Cheers drinks package at a pre-cruise cost of $49.95 per person per day. We broke even after the 5-6 spirit based drink. The biggest difference I see in the two packages is that HAL limits the package to a drink price below I believe $7.95 where the is basically no limit on the Carnival package.

Where did HAL stand-out: Like I said--room service suite perks, Neptune Lounge, disembarkation where HAL lets you stay in your stateroom where carnivals wants all folks out by 8:30.

Will I still cruise HAL--yes, the aft-wrap SB on the Vista's cannot be beat for Alaska. Will I now add Carnival for other cruises. Yes. We are thinking about them for our upcoming two-week Hawaii cruise.

Thanks for your review. I'll have to look up Triumph to compare it size-wise to the other Carnival ships we've done... Spirit (twice), Liberty and Splendor (48 nights around South America!). We found MDR dining similar, especially more recent years) very similar, crew wonderful, entertainment different but good for us, but the Carnival buffet was not as good as HAL back then, so if you would comment on that I'd appreciate it.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, happy birthday! m--

1/26/17, off Carnival Liberty's 4 day Bahamas cruise from Port Canaveral. First time sailing from Port Canaveral and I found it to be as easy of an experience as is sailing from Port Everglades, even with using their parking garage. I found it to be a nice change.

I think I will do a thread such as yours. Really had not thought about doing so on the HAL Board because I thought HAL cruisers would not be interested in my ramblings. My experience differed somewhat on Liberty than yours on Triumph. Not terrible; but not the same either.

Thanks for your review. I'll have to look up Triumph to compare it size-wise to the other Carnival ships we've done... Spirit (twice), Liberty and Splendor (48 nights around South America!). We found MDR dining similar, especially more recent years) very similar, crew wonderful, entertainment different but good for us, but the Carnival buffet was not as good as HAL back then, so if you would comment on that I'd appreciate it.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, happy birthday! m--

The Triumph comes in at 101,000GT and 2754 passengers so about 20% larger than the Vistas. We didn't do the buffet because of the other options that were offered on Carnival--seafood, burgers, tacos/burritos, separate deli, pizza, stir fry. But, folks were lined up every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just completed an 11 day on NA after doing several years on Carnival. I didn't find much difference in the quality of the food, although Carnival gives you more choices on the MDR menu. The age of the passengers was the biggest difference, HAL does draw a lot of wheelchairs, scooters and canes. They don't have the lose children running around but I don't know what is worse, dodging children or scooters. For entertainment Carnival wins, we didn't even have a deck party on the NA. We will return to both lines, cause a cruise is a cruise.

Thanks for your review!

We haven't sailed Carnival in a few years and are Diamond. My Daughter who sails Carnival and HAL came off her recent Carnival cruise praising the entertainment. Lounge Music with a Duo singing and people up dancing, another Group in Ocean Lounge, Guitar players in Red Frog Pub, Piano Bar, etc. They have also started bringing back Steel Drums. Plus they have the Comedy Shows nightly! They certainly do beat HAL hands down in this area! Interesting that It cost so much less but they offer so much more!

Steakhouse is one of the best at Sea and their Escargot in the Steakhouse is excellent as is the presentation! Another area they beat HAL is the Deli on Lido!

We really enjoy the Spirit Class Ships as well as the Dream Class such as Breeze.

We would also sail them again!

We have previously sailed Carnival several times and HAL 4 times recently. Have always believed Carnival got a bad rap. Although we have recently sailed HAL, we always enjoyed our Carnival cruises. And agree, no question that their steakhouse beats HAL by a mile . More food variety on Carnival and great service also but believe, in general, not quite the quality of HAL food. Also, as stated, more entertainment options and their Drink Package way better than HAL, although there was a $10 per drink limit on our last Carnival cruise Jan. '14 to HI(compared to HAL $8.00 limit I believe). Every evening was able to enjoy this frozen chocolate drink that was to die for. Some differences I have observed however are: Bathrooms not kept as clean on Carnival, more self service on Carnival which allows more spread of illnesses(IMHO), nothing like BB King Band on Carnival which we enjoy tremendously. HAL room service still offers hot breakfast, Carnival does not. Recently we have taken to ordering room service from MDR menu on Gala nights and, as far as I know, Carnival does not offer evening MDR menu room service. Carnival ships somewhat larger but not significantly except for the smaller HAL ships, Carnival veranda cabins seem larger than HAL's which leave VERY little room at end of beds. Anyway, we will sail either depending on itinerary (HAL generally beats Carnival here, but not always), and cost which are really comparable from my observations. Variety is the spice of life. Much wider age range on Carnival also which means more children of course.

Jane

Edited by jabcruiser

I've sailed on Carnival several times always on the Pride out of Baltimore. & I too always felt that Carnival got a bad rap...

I love the Blue Iguana Cantina! (I gave my regular in the Cantina a $50 tip, he was so amenable/personable/attentive, etc.)

(I don't sail in suites, so I don't even have the benefit of any suite perks. Nor, do I dine in the steakhouse, I'm a vegetarian.)

I've always wondered about this - our first HAL cruise will be on the Eurodam to Alaska later this year. Up until now we've only sailed Carnival and have always enjoyed it.

We have friends that sail Norwegian and RCCL and other lines who always look down on our choice of Carnival and wonder why we always sail the "Walmart of the Seas" when our experience showed it to be anything but - then again, we have nothing to compare it to yet.

Always hung out on the Carnival board and the comparisons there show Carnival to be at least on par with Royal, Norwegian and even HAL.

Thanks for the comparison!

Thank you for posting this. We found that we enjoyed Carnival much more than our Royal cruise (even with the bigger ship). Carnival just had better food and much more entertainment all the way around.

We are cruising HAL this time because they are the ones that have the itinerary we want.

I want to add a side note that this particular board is so refreshing. Many of the other boards (won't name names) do a lot of comparing and complaining and the members are very rude toward one another. I have read very few 'cutting' comments throughout. Thank you for being gracious.