Tipping Queen's Grill

paulista1950

I don't recall mentioning when any extra thanks are given and they certainly aren't given out at the table or in front of fellow passengers.

It's amazing what can be handed over in a 'thank you for everything' handshake and it's amazing what can be discreetly accepted in a handshake too!

Practised discretion, from the giver and the receiver. :)

This is what we do as well, generally the receivers are well practised in being discrete.

Wow! How generous of you, but then,.who could resist an invitation to your table? A great photo op to show not only your magnanimity but also your beautiful cornflower blue (velvet?)

dinner jacket.

Good evening Salacia, long time no speak: have you been cruising?

Pleased you love the colour, I chose it myself.

But no, not velvet, tailored lightweight as I would never dream of removing a jacket on any night, let alone a formal one.

What about all those crew who do so many special things to make a cruise better with whom we do not come into contact? Laundry. Engine room workers. Cleaning staff etc. That's why I like the crew welfare fund system they have on luxury lines. You make a donation and the whole crew benefits, not just the ones we see.

Surely those crew members you mention are covered in the auto gratuity. I've been talking of something 'a little extra' to those who really give a personal service.

I want to give an extra tip to the people in the restaurant. If I give it to the main waiter, will he share it with his helper? Should I tell him to do so? And how about the maitre d'?:confused:

We always would leave on the auto gratuity & tip extra in envelopes to be discreetly handed to our head waiter/his assistant. We only tipped the Maître D if he did something special for us. Osman got us the "prime" window seat when the pax from the Sundringham suite cancelled their cruise at the last second. I did tip him extra. He always asked us to test the chefs' abilities. We're both in the food industry & gave them some really good challenges.

I actually offered to transfer from our Q-6 to the Sundringham suite for an extra $3000. It was turned down! The suite stayed empty for the entire cruise. Shame to just leave money on the table like that!

We always would leave on the auto gratuity & tip extra in envelopes to be discreetly handed to our head waiter/his assistant. We only tipped the Maître D if he did something special for us. Osman got us the "prime" window seat when the pax from the Sundringham suite cancelled their cruise at the last second. I did tip him extra. He always asked us to test the chefs' abilities. We're both in the food industry & gave them some really good challenges.

I actually offered to transfer from our Q-6 to the Sundringham suite for an extra $3000. It was turned down! The suite stayed empty for the entire cruise. Shame to just leave money on the table like that!

Ah Osman, does a mean Steak Tartare for lunch...

31960455066_9b28136bd7_z.jpg

I bring four envelopes for this purpose. Envelopes for my butler and their assistant. Two for the waiter and their assistant. I do not tip the Maître 'd. On our next trip, now that my DH needs wheat and dairy free, I see that I'm going to need to include the diet chef in the mix. If I received anything less than outstanding service, I can always withhold the envelope. Typically, I tip $5 per day of the trip.

I still pay the auto gratuity. I see these men from the maintenance department working all hours at sea. I admire their work. I admire the work of the poor fellow peeling the potatoes and the fine folks who mash up my rubbish. I want to sail on a happy ship filled with great people. Working for cruise lines is a hard life separated from their families. Conditions can be rough. I can afford to share.

I still pay the auto gratuity. I see these men from the maintenance department working all hours at sea. I admire their work. I admire the work of the poor fellow peeling the potatoes and the fine folks who mash up my rubbish. I want to sail on a happy ship filled with great people. Working for cruise lines is a hard life separated from their families. Conditions can be rough. I can afford to share.

Just remember, the Auto Charge only goes to the Hotel staff. Engineering, navigation etc. do not benefit whatsoever.

I bring four envelopes for this purpose. Envelopes for my butler and their assistant. Two for the waiter and their assistant. I do not tip the Maître 'd. On our next trip, now that my DH needs wheat and dairy free, I see that I'm going to need to include the diet chef in the mix. If I received anything less than outstanding service, I can always withhold the envelope. Typically, I tip $5 per day of the trip.

I did almost exactly the same thing!

It has been my practice to provide a gratuity for each member of the team directly serving us. The Butler, his assistant, The primary waiter and assistant, and the restaurant captains and ( Maitre d when he does something outstanding like getting us a better table.

I use the personalized stationary provided by the concierge and include a little note of thanks as well. I give the notes on the day before the last day as sometimes the crew have changes and our staff changes on the last day..

I have rewarded the Maitre d when he has done something real special since as a member of the ships management team, I know he is well compensated.

I don't recall mentioning when any extra thanks are given and they certainly aren't given out at the table or in front of fellow passengers.

It's amazing what can be handed over in a 'thank you for everything' handshake and it's amazing what can be discreetly accepted in a handshake too!

Practised discretion, from the giver and the receiver. :)

Secret handshakes, now I've heard it all.

DAVID.

Secret handshakes, now I've heard it all.

DAVID.

Secret handshake David?

How can being discreet when handing over a gratuity be described as a secret handshake? We have being doing this for years. No secret, just discretion when shaking hands. Of course there will always be those who are visible who want everyone and their mother to know what they are doing but thankfully ‘that type’ are in the minority.

I don't understand why the methodology for handing over a tip has to turn into a debate or competition. For me it's the thought that counts. Can't we just leave it at that?

M-AR

Agree with you, a personal thing and at one's discretion.:halo:

There was a Maitre d' in Britannia on QV who remembered me from cruise to cruise and managed to find me a table of interesting people each time after I'd booked late and hadn't been assigned a table. I had planned to give him something extra on the last night but then ended up ill and in bed by 6pm. On my next cruise I found he had been transferred to the Lido so I thanked him retrospectively. It was only $20 but he could not have been more delighted and greeted me with a smile for the rest of my cruise. I think he appreciated most the fact that I had remembered from one cruise to the next what he had done for me.