Breeze: How early would I need to get up to Serenity to actually find a spot?

RaceAddict

Just wondering if anyone knows...

We were on the Breeze a couple of years ago and the few times to visited the Serenity deck there was absolutely zero vacancies. It wasn't that big of a deal at the time as my son wasn't quite old enough to be left to his own devices all day so my wife and I usually stayed in the general admission areas of the open decks. Not the case this time... we know full well he's old enough to not want to spend his afternoons around adults, and certainly too cool to check in with his parents.

On the flip side, that means we could potentially spend more time on the Serenity deck! :D However, I don't do mornings at the best of times, let alone when on vaca. Is my plan to spend a quiet afternoon, free of screaming kids splashing in the pool, a pipe-dream?

Lots of cruisers throw a towel on a lounger and then head to breakfast or shop. If it's left too long staff removes the towel. I just wait for this to happen and then swoop in. :) This happened several times on our Breeze cruise last year. You just have to be patient and make sure staff is alert to your waiting for a spot to open. I have to wake up at 4:50 am every day for work. There's no way I'm waking up early on vacation. So this is the system I use.

Lots of cruisers throw a towel on a lounger and then head to breakfast or shop. If it's left too long staff removes the towel. I just wait for this to happen and then swoop in. :) This happened several times on our Breeze cruise last year. You just have to be patient and make sure staff is alert to your waiting for a spot to open. I have to wake up at 4:50 am every day for work. There's no way I'm waking up early on vacation. So this is the system I use.

As long as you can get the crew to remove towel after like 45 minutes of non use that will work. The problem is generally they are afraid of getting into something with passenger so they dont do it.

Hi there

Just wanted to point out that if you are willing to get away from the pool areas, there are many quiet/restful area where you can lounge around.

The serenity deck is just one of the many spots that you could choose. They have very nice lounge chairs and it could be considered a preferred spot. I would say that it is just a matter of chance on whether you arriving there at any given time would find a nice spot, but if not there are many other areas to chill out.

Just as I wouldn't wait in a line if it wasn't necessary, I wouldn't worry about finding a spot on the serenity deck if it was crowded. The Breeze just offers you too many wonderful spots to relax to just concern myself with that one area.

have a great cruise

After checking several times in the morning after breakfast, I usually find a spot on a lounger, chaise or sectional, in which to relax. I'm often joined by family, and we come and go, but it seems as if someone always stays, although thats not the plan.

As long as you can get the crew to remove towel after like 45 minutes of non use that will work. The problem is generally they are afraid of getting into something with passenger so they dont do it.

Getting the crew to do something in the past was a problem but lately I've noticed they're taking action. I just point out to the crew member a few spots that have been vacant for a while. I tell them I'll be back in a few minutes to check again. I head out for a drink and when I come back I mention it again. They usually take action at this time. Happened twice on our cruise on the Breeze last year. If the person eventually comes back for their spot I direct them to the crew member. They usually just sigh and groan and wander off. They knew what they were doing. And they knew there was a good chance they could loose their spot.

Just wondering if anyone knows...

We were on the Breeze a couple of years ago and the few times to visited the Serenity deck there was absolutely zero vacancies. It wasn't that big of a deal at the time as my son wasn't quite old enough to be left to his own devices all day so my wife and I usually stayed in the general admission areas of the open decks. Not the case this time... we know full well he's old enough to not want to spend his afternoons around adults, and certainly too cool to check in with his parents.

On the flip side, that means we could potentially spend more time on the Serenity deck! :D However, I don't do mornings at the best of times, let alone when on vaca. Is my plan to spend a quiet afternoon, free of screaming kids splashing in the pool, a pipe-dream?

Run early don't walk.

Getting the crew to do something in the past was a problem but lately I've noticed they're taking action. I just point out to the crew member a few spots that have been vacant for a while. I tell them I'll be back in a few minutes to check again. I head out for a drink and when I come back I mention it again. They usually take action at this time. Happened twice on our cruise on the Breeze last year. If the person eventually comes back for their spot I direct them to the crew member. They usually just sigh and groan and wander off. They knew what they were doing. And they knew there was a good chance they could loose their spot.

The crew is supposed to monitor this on their own but understand why they do not. Carnival should enforce this.

From my experience on other ships it depends on when you cruise. If you go during spring break time or summer, a lot of people are new to cruising and don't even know what serenity is or that its free. That means its pretty easy to find a spot early towards the beginning of the cruise. On the other hand, the 9 day Journeys cruise on the Sunshine that I went on was mostly Gold and above people and the only real way to get a Serenity spot any day was to go in the late afternoon when the early morning people decided to pack up and leave.

Again this is just from my experience, as all but my Sunshine cruise were during heavy spring break times. Other people might have had different experiences.

On the pride I really wanted the big round chair. I got up at 6:30 on sea days and went back to sleep on the chair. My husband and I shared it all day.

We also get to the clamshells at 6:30 to make sure we get one. Usually done by 1:00-1:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A chair, any chair, with nothing but a towel or a banana or one flip flop is, in my mind, empty. I have no qualms about gathering up said towel, banana, or flip flop and moving it to an empty, on the deck, corner.

It is very easy to distinguish a "currently being used" chair or lounger from a "I'll save this for later but I won't leave anything of consequence in it".

And, if you really want to enjoy the serenity deck just forego a port visit and visit the deck then. They are always virtually empty, quiet, and serene.

I enjoy days at sea and the serenity deck is the place to be. The Breeze's serenity deck is one of the best! My husband (who is not an early bird) woke up around 7am to secure us a spot on the serenity deck. I believe that is the time that the deck opens.

We were on the Paradise in September of last year, and had no trouble finding loungers no matter what time we went up - sometimes we sat in chairs for a while until a pair of loungers opened up, but it wasn't a big deal. And the staff was great about moving things off 'reserved' chairs.

What we didn't get to do was go in the hot tubs - they were full all the time, and with the same folks. I couldn't believe some of these people could sit in a hot tub that long - we were there for several hours one day, and they were in there when we got there, and in there when we left. Amazing! But they seemed to be having a great time, so more power to them!

KC

We have only had the pleasure of enjoying a clamshell one time, on a cruise in Alaska. We just happened to walk by when a couple asked if we wanted their clamshell because they were leaving. Yippee! Loved it! I would do the same for someone else if I ever get the opportunity. On my next cruise, I plan to get there early, before breakfast. If I'm there alone and need to go to the ladies room, I feel bad about leaving a towel there to hold my place. Don't want to feel like a chog!

We have only had the pleasure of enjoying a clamshell one time, on a cruise in Alaska. We just happened to walk by when a couple asked if we wanted their clamshell because they were leaving. Yippee! Loved it! I would do the same for someone else if I ever get the opportunity. On my next cruise, I plan to get there early, before breakfast. If I'm there alone and need to go to the ladies room, I feel bad about leaving a towel there to hold my place. Don't want to feel like a chog!

Nothing wrong with leaving for say 10-15 minutes to go to ladies room or a spot of lunch what is wrong when someone leaves for hours at a time and hogs up a spot.

We were on the Paradise in September of last year, and had no trouble finding loungers no matter what time we went up - sometimes we sat in chairs for a while until a pair of loungers opened up, but it wasn't a big deal. And the staff was great about moving things off 'reserved' chairs.

What we didn't get to do was go in the hot tubs - they were full all the time, and with the same folks. I couldn't believe some of these people could sit in a hot tub that long - we were there for several hours one day, and they were in there when we got there, and in there when we left. Amazing! But they seemed to be having a great time, so more power to them!

KC

When people are in there for hours at a time, especially while drinking there is a certain ewe factor that makes me want to stay away.