Carnival 2 free up grades are not true

sweets2323

Doesn't matter what we think. Cruiselines believe higher decks are worth more...the higher you stay, the more you sway, the more you sway, the more you pay

Since cruise ships have stabilizers they don't actually sway from side to side unless they are being buffeted by hurricane force winds from a single direction hitting the center of the ship, and any good captain is going to turn the butt of the ship into the wind. Most movement comes from an up and down motion caused by riding the waves...which means the front and the rear of the ship have more movement than the center. And, in all actuality, upper decks don't cost the most. On newer ships suites have been moved to mid ship mid decks with cabins above and below because that is the prime real estate.

I believe it is the other way around. Passengers think that a higher deck is better, so the cruise lines charge more for what is more in demand. EM

You are correct, the biggest factor is supply and demand. Carnival is certainly not unique with their pricing as well. It simply is the way that it works.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"Since cruise ships have stabilizers they don't actually sway from side to side unless they are being buffeted by hurricane force winds from a single direction hitting the center of the ship, and any good captain is going to turn the butt of the ship into the wind. Most movement comes from an up and down motion caused by riding the waves..."

OMG, as a USCG Capt., you have no idea what you are talking about, this is simply not true. The seas are always flowing in the same direction. The Capt holds course towards it's destination. "Butt of the ship into the wind?" So go in the wrong direction?

"Since cruise ships have stabilizers they don't actually sway from side to side unless they are being buffeted by hurricane force winds from a single direction hitting the center of the ship, and any good captain is going to turn the butt of the ship into the wind. Most movement comes from an up and down motion caused by riding the waves..."

OMG, as a USCG Capt., you have no idea what you are talking about, this is simply not true. The seas are always flowing in the same direction. The Capt holds course towards it's destination. "Butt of the ship into the wind?" So go in the wrong direction?

Absolutely if you were caught in the throes of a hurricane.

I quite agree. In nearly 30 cruises I've only been "upgraded" twice (inside to an oceanview). If it isn't a category upgrade it's just not an upgrade, plain and simple.

That is crazy talk. To say an inside on the Riviera offers as many benefits as inside on the Lido is crazy. I would take the more convenient cabin on the Lido every time and I have stayed in both.

Absolutely if you were caught in the throes of a hurricane.

With all the weather platforms, cruise ships do not steer into hurricanes. This is why cruise ships will change their itinerary. I have been sailing for over 40 years and have never left port knowing imminent danger was ahead.

Since cruise ships have stabilizers they don't actually sway from side to side unless they are being buffeted by hurricane force winds from a single direction hitting the center of the ship, and any good captain is going to turn the butt of the ship into the wind. Most movement comes from an up and down motion caused by riding the waves...which means the front and the rear of the ship have more movement than the center. And, in all actuality, upper decks don't cost the most. On newer ships suites have been moved to mid ship mid decks with cabins above and below because that is the prime real estate.

Seriously, you haven't heard that saying before?