NCL vs. MSC

BaseballMomof4

Currently looking at 2 different Med cruises and was wondering if anyone had sailed both lines and what their thoughts were.

I have primarily sailed Carnival, but did sail NCL on the Epic so I have some idea of NCL, but have never sailed MSC and am looking for info especially from folks who have experience on both.

Thanks in advance!

I haven't sailed MSC but I'm led to believe they are very much used by Italians and Spanish and that English is very much the third language used. I can't even contemplate being on a ship with 2000/3000 Italians. The noise would be deafening.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't sailed MSC but I'm led to believe they are very much used by Italians and Spanish and that English is very much the third language used. I can't even contemplate being on a ship with 2000/3000 Italians. The noise would be deafening.

Its better than being on a ship with 2000/3000 Hungarians :D

Ive cruised on Costa ships (not MSC but much the same) many times with 2000/3000 Italians - never an issue and English is always the first language spoken on board -

Although - you aint seen nothing until you''ve seen a ventriloquist act in five languages - a La Costa hahahahaha!

I have sailed on the MSC Divina, the NCL Sun, NCL Jewel and the NCL Getaway.

The biggest difference is if you have kids - there is not much for kids to do on the Divina. Just a few waterslides, a putt putt golf course and an arcade. Much more for kids to do on the NCL ships imo.

And the Divina is definitely more European - about a 50/50 mix.

Don't get me wrong - the Divina is a beautiful ship - but I prefer NCL.

I've been fortunate enough to do quite a few European cruises and will do the NCL spirit this fall. There are more similarities than differences between the 2 cruise lines. We like NCL but had a great time on MSC. MSC has traditional dining and they group you with fellow North Americans. Our tablemates were fantastic and added to the enjoyment of the cruise. North Americans get free bottled (still or sparkling) water with dinner.The MSC food is better and the wine quality & prices are reasonable compared to NCL as wine is a staple with dinner. for #30eu you can get a bottle of Amarone on formal night which is basically the same as USA store pricing. The staff on MSC is good but NCL has always treated us the best of all cruise lines. We enjoyed MSC but DW prefers a line that announces in English first. MSC had more of an European feel which is why I chose Europe. I felt the MSC Magnifica had the classiest feel of any of the ships that we've been on. Entertainment is more Cirque like on MSC than the traditional Vegas show acts on NCL. Enjoyable but different.

I would not hesitate to cruise MSC and would base my decision on value/price and itinerary.

I have sailed on 2 NCL ships to teh Carib,Bermuda & New England and one MSC in the Mediterrean & prefer NCL.

I understand that in Europe MSC does things differently than when they bring their

ships to Fla to sail the Carib. While my cabin was fine on MSC's Splendida, the

food was not and they totally catered to Europeans & children ran rampant & noone

spoke English so I shall stick with NCL.

Experienced both, I would book the better routing and price as I didn't feel a large difference.

If you choose MSC for Med: avoid summer months because of all the children, choose the 1. seating for dinner as south european Pax will eat late and then it's really loud. But you will always find quiet places around.

The buffet was better on NCL (Spirit), the dinner on MSC (Splendida)

Here in Germany we can now book NCL only AI so the prices are much higher than MSC or Costa or even AIDA so not an option for us :mad: (we are not alcoholics) .

Enjoy your cruise whether NCL or MSC :)

Elisabeth

I have done 5 MSC cruises, all in Europe and I've done the NCL Epic in Europe as well as several NCL in the Caribbean.

Hands down, I would said MSC in Europe.

On the Epic, when on this ship it felt the same as a caribbean cruise. On MSC you still feel like you are in Europe when on the ship.

If I what to feel the same as being in the Caribbean I will sail in the Caribbean.

MSC the food, wine, entertainment, people and overall atmosphere felt European.

If you want everything to be like home, why go anywhere else.

Lois

I've sailed both. I'm a Haven passenger on NCL and a Yacht Club passenger on MSC. The MSC Yacht Club wins hands down on everything except the size of the suite and the spa - it is literally an all-inclusive experience and the food in the specialty restaurant for Yacht Club guests was AMAZING! I also agree with the previous poster: when you travel, it is best to seek an experience that is more authentic to the area in which you are traveling. For the Med, MSC is from the area of Sorrento and Positano - this is truly a Neapolitan cruise. Why not travel with others from this area? Why not learn a little Italian on your vacation? E 'divertente e piacevole! Buon viaggio!