Gym buffs, come hither...

MrsDeee

Hey! My first question-post about my first cruise!

I'm curious about the gym in the Liberty of the Seas. I'm specifically looking for the interactive bikes that have tracks and trails on them called Expresso Bikes. I have a link here to show what they look like: https://expresso.com/Home

It's really the only way I like to get my cardio.

I found some video tours of the gym online, but they are pretty old. So if anyone knows of a newer, more complete video (perhaps one made by RCI), has first-hand knowledge, knows a contact that I can call and check with, or is going soon and can check for me, that would be great!

A second question, do the group classes cost extra & is there a list of offerings?

Thanks so much! I really enjoy obsessing on this forum. We're going May 14th [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for adding the options that they do have, Andrew. Here's to hoping that you've just passed the Expressos by and they are in a corner somewhere. Lol.

Although, I did notice that the cardio equipment looked older, and these bikes are very expensive, so perhaps it's just not worth it for them to offer such a piece of equipment? I work out in the local university gym, and they have all the gadgets.

MrsDeee...Welcome to CC. Unfortunately the spin bikes are only for spin classes. When the spinners aren't in use they are tethered together so that can't be used by others. Dumb in my opinion. I have a spinner at home so when on a Cruise ship I use the uprights at the gym. They also have recumbent bikes in the gym. I do my own thing in the gym so I can't answer what the costs is for classes. When you board the ship head to the gym. There will be someone there that will be able to answer questions about classes and cost.

Good heavens Mrs Deee, you must be confusing your ship's gym with an actual real gym!!! No there are not expresso bikes anywhere on any ship I have ever seen! (8th cruise coming up). They have pilates, yoga and spin for cost. Usually it's 12 dollars a class maybe less if you buy a package of 3 or 4.

One cardio work out that I LOVE and do only on a ship is stairs. I start on what ever the lowest deck is and run suicides. In other words lets say I am on deck 4. I run 4 to 5 then back to 4. Then 4 to 6 and back to 4. 4 to 7 and back to 4. Continue until I have gone to the highest floor I can. Depending on how much time I have left (I like to do it about 45 minutes) I'll either start over again or just go top to bottom until my time runs out. Just don't touch the railings so you don't sweat on them and listen to your ipod with head phones. Find the least used stair case and have one of the GREATEST and most fun work out ever!!

Good luck and have a great vacation

Thanks guys!

I guess I was thinking that with such a giant ship with crazy options on board (a water slide?!), they might have state of the art gym options. But I used people don't cruise for the gym, lol.

NH, what a great tip. I guess I would just feel self conscious that people would look at my funny (or get run over, lol).

I have been on a few of the Voyager class ships and while there are plenty of cardio machines, they seem to be mostly treadmills. There are spin classes that you can pay for, which I have done, but they were basic spin bikes. The new machines with the monitors to view trails etc are fairly new and I don't think Royal has had much incentive to update their gyms in the same way they update their water slides and restaurants. Those of us who actually still go to the gym every day on vacation are a rare bunch :)

I have to agree, and I completely understand why they wouldn't be too interested in the latest and greatest. The majority of people want to veg-out and eat up! I just want to eat up and not feel weighted down by the fullness (or the guilt [emoji6] ).

MrsDeee...Welcome to CC. Unfortunately the spin bikes are only for spin classes. When the spinners aren't in use they are tethered together so that can't be used by others. Dumb in my opinion. I have a spinner at home so when on a Cruise ship I use the uprights at the gym. They also have recumbent bikes in the gym. I do my own thing in the gym so I can't answer what the costs is for classes. When you board the ship head to the gym. There will be someone there that will be able to answer questions about classes and cost.

Pretty sure if they had the bikes open for general use, it would greatly reduce the number of people who would sign up for the actual spin classes.

Pretty sure if they had the bikes open for general use, it would greatly reduce the number of people who would sign up for the actual spin classes.

Good. IMO the spin classes should be free. I'm just glad there's no charge to use the gym and the other equipment.

Good heavens Mrs Deee, you must be confusing your ship's gym with an actual real gym!!! No there are not expresso bikes anywhere on any ship I have ever seen! (8th cruise coming up). They have pilates, yoga and spin for cost. Usually it's 12 dollars a class maybe less if you buy a package of 3 or 4.

One cardio work out that I LOVE and do only on a ship is stairs. I start on what ever the lowest deck is and run suicides. In other words lets say I am on deck 4. I run 4 to 5 then back to 4. Then 4 to 6 and back to 4. 4 to 7 and back to 4. Continue until I have gone to the highest floor I can. Depending on how much time I have left (I like to do it about 45 minutes) I'll either start over again or just go top to bottom until my time runs out. Just don't touch the railings so you don't sweat on them and listen to your ipod with head phones. Find the least used stair case and have one of the GREATEST and most fun work out ever!!

I don't know whether you are trying to make a joke about a real gym . I am somewhat impressed by the gyms on the ships. While they might not have all the latest equipment they have enough stuff to give you a good work out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally, I took it as a lighthearted joke.

From what I saw in the videos (and Id imagine anyone that has actually seen it in person Would agree), there are tons of basic equipment. That's not what I was looking for in the OP, as I find the old school elliptical and treadmill to be boring, but you're absolutely right in that it'll get the job done.

Chiming in to mimic what has been shared before - none of the higher end bikes on board.

I too enjoy stairs as a means of fitness..our rule is that if it's not a night where her heels are on - my wife and I don't do the elevator. We do that the entire cruise and throw in some running outside and body work (we are CrossFitters - so workouts can be done with just a small space and ourselves) and we avoid the cruise weight gain. On Royal - we camp out at the Flow Rider - so some extra exercise happens organically there!

Get Out There! :)

Thanks guys!

I guess I was thinking that with such a giant ship with crazy options on board (a water slide?!), they might have state of the art gym options. But I used people don't cruise for the gym, lol.

NH, what a great tip. I guess I would just feel self conscious that people would look at my funny (or get run over, lol).

There are stationary bikes with TVs, but no interactive Internet needed features. The gym on your ship is about 9 years old and has pretty much the same equipment from day one, but in that class of ship there is a lot of room and the equipment is well maintained.

Hey! My first question-post about my first cruise!

I'm curious about the gym in the Liberty of the Seas. I'm specifically looking for the interactive bikes that have tracks and trails on them called Expresso Bikes. I have a link here to show what they look like: https://expresso.com/Home

It's really the only way I like to get my cardio.

I found some video tours of the gym online, but they are pretty old. So if anyone knows of a newer, more complete video (perhaps one made by RCI), has first-hand knowledge, knows a contact that I can call and check with, or is going soon and can check for me, that would be great!

A second question, do the group classes cost extra & is there a list of offerings?

Thanks so much! I really enjoy obsessing on this forum. We're going May 14th [emoji16]

Wow, those are some nice bikes. They are probably way too expensive for RCI and likely too fragile for the gyms, anyway - I've seen far too many people visit the fitness center for what appears to be the first time ever and use the equipment improperly. Maintenance isn't the best, either, but on the larger ships there is so much equipment (that one or two being out of service isn't a big deal.

A thought: Is there an app out there that gives you a suggested workout with scenery? You could load it on a tablet and put it over the bike screen. Maybe one that tells you when to make adjustments, which I get is a bit of a PITA, but closer to the experience you prefer.

Just goes to show that people have different ideas of "fun.";)

I have all of my workouts loaded onto a tablet and can do them in the cabin or in a corner of the gym (I love the studios on the Voyager & Freedom classes). I bring along resistance bands for weight work and I'm all set.:)