Birthdays aboard Regent

RachelG

Next week we embark on a cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong aboard Mariner. It just so happens that we will be onboard on my husband's birthday. Somehow that had not occurred to me till today when my soon to be 99 year old mom reminded me. LOL.

At any rate, I need ideas for making George's birthday onboard extra special. It is on a sea day, so I was thinking to book him for a massage, but what else?

And perhaps try to get a specialty restaurant reservation with Wes and Ida, Ginny and Rich.

So any ideas--GO!

Hi Rachel,

My memory is that Regent always wonderfully decorates the suite on birthdays. Balloons everywhere, fun stuff on the bed, can't remember exactly what-all, but nice. I believe that they automatically do that, but you can check to be sure. They also deliver, if I'm remembering correctly, that 14-layer cake thingie, which is one of our favorite desserts. And of course any coffee or other specialty drink that George's little heart may desire.

It could be really fun if you could get someone(s) from entertainment to serenade him, but I suspect that's not an option. (though who knows?)

Special bubble bath if he likes baths?

Oh, I wish we could do a cruise like the one you'll be on! Have the most wonderful time!!

Just thought of something else:

How about having the chef create a gigantic birthday cake that you can jump out of! In YOUR birthday suit, of course! :D

I am definitely NOT doing that, Poss. But the other ideas are excellent. I remember on the information form, they asked if you were celebrating anything special while onboard, and I was too dense to realize it was going to be his birthday.

I have always found that they usually catch the birthdays even without you telling them - from the passport data, I assume. The anniversary dates, of course, they would not know unless you tell them. Your TA can just let them know about the special occasion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Rachel,

Sounds like a fantastic itinerary and would hope to go there some day. Also would love to meet with the friends that you will be seeing onboard, seems like a lovely crowd.

My idea would be something along the lines of a treasure hunt. You could maybe buy a small gift for him at home and then give some clues at various points in the ship and then reward him at the end with maybe a cake or something. Just a thought. :D

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Pam.

I would speak with the F&B Director and see if he/she can come with a special meal (perhaps on your own - more romantic that way -- maybe have a special lunch in CR with the other couples - with a pre-selected menu). In the evening, you could pick George's favorite dishes and a special wine (don't recall if he drinks wine). F&B Directors can be very creative (wish that you had been at our special Meet and Greet on the Explorer - it was over the top which is why I'm thinking of you getting their help for George's special day).

Hope that you will be posting from the ship and will let us know how it goes.

P.S. Didn't realize that we are both married to Pisces. Love the description of our men at this link http://zodiac-signs-astrology.com/zodiac-signs/pisces.htm

Pam, that sounds like a good idea. Don't know if I am creative enough to pull it off, but I am going to think about it.

Travelcat, interesting Pisces article. And pretty descriptive of him too. He is definitely generous to a fault. He loves wine, so I am going to pick a special one, but he is so social, he will want a big dinner with friends. I have tried to do romantic dinners for two, which we are going to do the first night in chartreuse, and he will do it the first night because he is tired, but usually not after that.

Rachel sounds like you are going to have a great cruise with Wes and Ida and lots of other fun people. Last year we boarded Mariner in Vancouver on our 31st Anniversary. We didn't say a word, but we had opened our cards in our suite and when we came back that first nite our butler and stewardess and steward had decorated the cabin and left a second bottle of fizz for us with lots of wee extras. Regent seem to go above and beyond for a special occasion. I am sure you will all have a wonderful time for your husbands birthday. Is it a sea day or port day?. Jean.

Rachel sounds like you are going to have a great cruise with Wes and Ida and lots of other fun people. Last year we boarded Mariner in Vancouver on our 31st Anniversary. We didn't say a word, but we had opened our cards in our suite and when we came back that first nite our butler and stewardess and steward had decorated the cabin and left a second bottle of fizz for us with lots of wee extras. Regent seem to go above and beyond for a special occasion. I am sure you will all have a wonderful time for your husbands birthday. Is it a sea day or port day?. Jean.

Sea.

I think that Wes and Ida, Ginny and Rich should start practicing for a Barbershop Quartet.

Like that idea

Ginny reminded me the other day that she has a five-octave range, so she can handle any of the parts. Meanwhile, I will "lip-sync"--you don't want to hear me!

Love the idea of Wes and Ida and Ginny and me joining the birthday boy and you in either a specialty restaurant or Compass Rose (like the special George-loving menu idea, too). Since George is a more-the-merrier kind of guy, you could even go for an eight-top and invite an officer of two (GM Franck?).

Also, does George have a favorite cake? If so you can request it.

Rich

Hi, Rachel:

I love the idea of a serenade. I did that for The Boss a few years ago and I'm still cashing in brownie points. I'm sure you will come up with something special and we are looking forward to hearing about it. Enjoy your cruise and have a wonderful time!

Z and TB

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Rachel,

My memory is that Regent always wonderfully decorates the suite on birthdays. Balloons everywhere, fun stuff on the bed, can't remember exactly what-all, but nice. I believe that they automatically do that, but you can check to be sure. They also deliver, if I'm remembering correctly, that 14-layer cake thingie, which is one of our favorite desserts. And of course any coffee or other specialty drink that George's little heart may desire.

It could be really fun if you could get someone(s) from entertainment to serenade him, but I suspect that's not an option. (though who knows?)

Special bubble bath if he likes baths?

Oh, I wish we could do a cruise like the one you'll be on! Have the most wonderful time!!

Sandy here, I had my birthday on the Mariner 2 years ago. So exciting. We had the specialty dinner where they match the wine with each entree. But the highlight of the evening was returning to our cabin to find it load with balloons, and all sorts of treats and serenaded by several staff members. They do it up right. Just let them know when you board. write_me.