Premium Levy for Transiting Sounds

Beanb41

Last year a premium levy was talked about for Cruise ships to transit Dusky, Doubtful and Milford Sounds. This levy was to cover costs in event of a cruise ship having an accident in these pristine areas far from help and civilisation. It didn't stay front and centre in the news for very long but I wonder if some are considering bringing it back to the table in light of mishaps on cruise ships in recent weeks.

The Austral hit a rock in Milford Sounds

Emerald Princess has mishap onboard resulting in death of a crew member

A Norwegian cruise ship breaks down en route to Milford Sounds and has to be towed back to Melbourne

Luxury liner breaks its moorings in Timaru

Coincidence perhaps but perhaps a levy to protect our pristine areas may make cruise lines take a bit more care

Not a bad idea, Beanb41.

I must admit that in some ways it felt a bit wrong to be in those places on a huge cruise ship, especially Dusky and Doubtful Sounds which are much more isolated than Milford Sound. As we cruised through I did wonder what impact the cruise ships were having on those close-to-pristine environments.

I wonder what would have happened if Norwegian Star had broken down after crossing the Tasman, instead of just out from Port Phillip Bay, especially if there was a classic southerly blow around the bottom of the South Island.

There is a levy now but it is only a pittance. When an increased levy was muted cruise lines screamed loud and strong and threatened to leave our shores. If one ever destroys the pristine waters there will be hell to pay and the ships captain will be lucky to get out with his/her skin attached