1st time cruise-leaving in 12 days!

Me, my hubby & 10 yr old daughter are going on Royal Carribeans Enchantment of the Seas in 12 days! This is our first cruise! We bought the deluxe beverage package for us and soda package for daughter online and it looks like 18% gratuity is already added but I read that they also read that they charge 18% per drink for each drink ordered on the cruise, I'm confused.

Also, is the water at Coco Cay and Nassau warm enough to go in? Are the cabanas worth renting? Has anyone done the dolphin experience at Pearl Island? Also how's Vroom internet? Any other insight would be greatly appreciated. My daughter is a quiet well behaved kid-the water parks or Atlantis would be too busy for her-we thought she may do well with the dolphins. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Coco Cay and Nassau water will definitely be warm. We do not get a cabana, as we consider that money better spent on future cruises. We are on a strict budget so that we can cruise often. There is plenty of shade at Coco Cay and it is fun to explore the island.

We enjoy Junkanoo beach in Nassau - Fairly easy walk from the ship. :)

Enjoy your first cruise! We loved our experience on Enchantment!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you APDMOM! Great advice and your pics are beautiful! Now I'm getting really excited to hop on that ship! I agree-i will save my $ towards another cruise instead of getting a cabana! I love that the water is so clear! My daughter has never been in an Ocean! (We live in Arizona) lots of resort pools--no Oceans! Lol

You will NOT be charged "per drink"..as each drink carries a "0" charge...18% of zero, is zero! They charge the 18% on the cost of the package.

There is no need for cabanas....loungers are everywhere on Coco Cay, and plentiful...move them if they aren't where you want them.

You have no beaches in AZ...but the water will be fine for cooling off in Nassau (coco cay is in the Bahamas)...it's fine. The bahamas are NOT in the Caribbean...they are in the Atlantic...but it's warm enough.

Atlantis is VERY pricey....unless you've never been to a "water park", I'd skip it...there's enough to do without paying close to $400 for an afternoon. Get a guidebook..it's VERY helpful in planning your time ashore. Rarely are excursions needed on ANY island!

Thank you APDMOM! Great advice and your pics are beautiful! Now I'm getting really excited to hop on that ship! I agree-i will save my $ towards another cruise instead of getting a cabana! I love that the water is so clear! My daughter has never been in an Ocean! (We live in Arizona) lots of resort pools--no Oceans! Lol

You should take her snorkeling.

I remember at that age it felt like flying, the water is so clear you can see the bottom 10-20 feet below you, and you feel like you're flying!

Thank you for the fast response! I also read that their are not many outlets in the rooms. Does Royal Carribean allow us to bring a power strip that has additional outlets?

I know that some will argue, they always do.

You are not supposed to bring any kind of power strip that has surge protection. We like to take a small extension cord that has a head on it to plug in three devices. it does not have surge suppression. If your looking for charging, buy a 4 or 6 port USB charging device. They work well too.

The reason for this is complicated. But in short, the power on board a ship is a lot different than on land and devices with surge suppression are fire hazards.

I just got off the Harmony yesterday and I glanced at the table of confiscated items that contained a bunch of power strips, hair driers, etc. it even had a skateboard. LOL.

Me, my hubby & 10 yr old daughter are going on Royal Carribeans Enchantment of the Seas in 12 days! This is our first cruise! We bought the deluxe beverage package for us and soda package for daughter online and it looks like 18% gratuity is already added but I read that they also read that they charge 18% per drink for each drink ordered on the cruise, I'm confused.

Also, is the water at Coco Cay and Nassau warm enough to go in? Are the cabanas worth renting? Has anyone done the dolphin experience at Pearl Island? Also how's Vroom internet? Any other insight would be greatly appreciated. My daughter is a quiet well behaved kid-the water parks or Atlantis would be too busy for her-we thought she may do well with the dolphins. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

We have not done that particular dolphin experience, but if she's not afraid to swim with them, pet them, she should be fine.

Also enroll her in Adventure Ocean once aboard the ship. She will make so many new friends that you may never see much of her.

Have a wonderful cruise. :)

Enjoy your cruise .

I used to be a Carnival fan years ago, and would still consider them again. However, our last cruise was our first Royal Caribbean, and we had such a great time, that we booked our next cruise while onboard (FYI - something to consider if you enjoy the cruise that much). They were advertising that they would hold cabins for a very low per cabin deposit (not the standard per person deposit), and in addition, would give you the same amount in OBC on the current cruise. We did so for $100, so in essence, we received a "free" $100 from RCI. The OBC showed up the next day on our account, and our future cruise booking shows a (-$100.00) on the amount due line. Just throwing that out there that it CAN be a good deal and worth considering, AND, the booking can be transferred to a travel agent (which we did). After we transferred it to our normal travel agent, we played around with the booking and now have over $350 in OBC to use.

Do you know if that's true about spa treats purchased ahead of time?

Yes, it's automatically added to the charge.

They did try to tell me that was a service charge and said I could give a gratuity on top of it. But I know I was already charged the 18% automatically so didn't give anything more, kind of annoying to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm excited for you! There's nothing like your first cruise. My parents were cruisaholics so we knew it was only a matter of time for us. Our daughter turned 10 on our first one (sailed on Princess) and absolutely loved everything about it including the kids club. Prepare to be hooked. Daughter is now Diamond (she's 28) and DH and I will turn D+ on our next cruise in 3 weeks.

We did the dolphin experience in Nassau many years ago and loved it. It was an experience we'll never forget.

You can't bring a power strip that has a surge protector and they may confiscate a power stripe even if it doesn't have a surge protector .

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We carry a couple of three-way taps with a swivel head. Plug it into one outlet and you can then plug three devices into it. Never had one confiscated.

I just got off the Harmony yesterday and I glanced at the table of confiscated items that contained a bunch of power strips, hair driers, etc. it even had a skateboard. LOL.

They confiscated a hair dryer? I've never heard that...are you no longer allowed to bring one aboard? I've always brought one and never had a problem. The one they provide on board takes too long to dry my hair lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They confiscated a hair dryer? I've never heard that...are you no longer allowed to bring one aboard? I've always brought one and never had a problem. The one they provide on board takes too long to dry my hair lol.

Hair appliances (dryer, curling iron, straightener) are still allowed.

I'm not sure which port that Pearl Island is in, but when we were in Nassau my mom, wife and daughter all did the dolphin experience at the Blue Lagoon. It was offered by the cruise ship and was much cheaper than the Atlantis one. They had a good time with it. Got to hug the dolphin, give it a kiss, and a few other interaction things with it. The ship also should offer an observer package where someone can go and just watch/take pictures. Thats what I did to save some money as I already did a swim with the dolphins thing before.