weather on a Transatlantic Cruise

leds lot

We are on the TA on Britannia in October first time on her but not our first transatlantic. Our crossings have always been fairly steady with no really 'rough' weather or storms at all.

Last year was probably the cloudiest and showery to the Azores where we had an extra day as Azura had a problem with a propeller shaft and spares had to be flown in from Germany. We then had to 'race' across to the Caribbean in four days instead of five taking the shortest/fastest route. The crossing even at speed was pretty smooth, we had more showers than previous crossings but possibly there was no time in schedule for the ship to avoid weather ahead.

Below are notes I made from our TA in 2012

Weather on our Caribbean Transatlantic from 2012 (I am a sadgit and write a daily journal!)

Sat 3 Nov (first day after leaving Southampton)

Woke up 210 miles from Southampton off the Brest peninsularweather scattered clouds and sun but a chilly 10 degrees

Sun 4 Nov Just off the north coast of Spain still scattered cloudsand sun a cool 13 degree today’s course will take us down the coast of Portugallets hope I can start getting the summer clothes out and the temperature startsrising

Mon 5 Nov

8.30am south of Lisbon heading southwest towards Madeira1000 miles from Southampton weather bright but overcast and 16 degrees

11am balcony door now open the sun is trying to shine andit’s a ‘balmy’ 17 degrees maybe it will reach 20 by this afternoon…yes it did!

Tue 6 Nov

Madeira weather very showery and 18 degrees

Wed 7 Nov

First of five days across the Atlantic broken cloud a fewshowers 18 degrees, 2700 miles to Tortola not yet level with the Canary Islandsso expecting to get warmer once we turn south.

Thu 8 Nov

1000 miles out in the Atlantic sunny and 21 degrees

Fri 9 Nov

Weather really getting hot now midday temperature 27 degrees

Sat 10 Nov

Still 1000 mile to go but 23 degrees at 7am scattered cloudsand sun mid twenties by midday again

Sun 11 Nov

3578 miles from Southampton with 475 miles to Tortolaovercast but very warm at 26 degrees at 8am

Mon 12 Nov

Land at last Tortola it’s a steaming 27 degrees but heavyshowers and sunny intervals typical Tortola weather travelled 4059 miles sinceSouthampton.

We are on the TA on Britannia in October first time on her but not our first transatlantic. Our crossings have always been fairly steady with no really 'rough' weather or storms at all.

Last year was probably the cloudiest and showery to the Azores where we had an extra day as Azura had a problem with a propeller shaft and spares had to be flown in from Germany. We then had to 'race' across to the Caribbean in four days instead of five taking the shortest/fastest route. The crossing even at speed was pretty smooth, we had more showers than previous crossings but possibly there was no time in schedule for the ship to avoid weather ahead.

Below are notes I made from our TA in 2012

Weather on our Caribbean Transatlantic from 2012 (I am a sadgit and write a daily journal!)

Sat 3 Nov (first day after leaving Southampton)

Woke up 210 miles from Southampton off the Brest peninsularweather scattered clouds and sun but a chilly 10 degrees

Sun 4 Nov Just off the north coast of Spain still scattered cloudsand sun a cool 13 degree today’s course will take us down the coast of Portugallets hope I can start getting the summer clothes out and the temperature startsrising

Mon 5 Nov

8.30am south of Lisbon heading southwest towards Madeira1000 miles from Southampton weather bright but overcast and 16 degrees

11am balcony door now open the sun is trying to shine andit’s a ‘balmy’ 17 degrees maybe it will reach 20 by this afternoon…yes it did!

Tue 6 Nov

Madeira weather very showery and 18 degrees

Wed 7 Nov

First of five days across the Atlantic broken cloud a fewshowers 18 degrees, 2700 miles to Tortola not yet level with the Canary Islandsso expecting to get warmer once we turn south.

Thu 8 Nov

1000 miles out in the Atlantic sunny and 21 degrees

Fri 9 Nov

Weather really getting hot now midday temperature 27 degrees

Sat 10 Nov

Still 1000 mile to go but 23 degrees at 7am scattered cloudsand sun mid twenties by midday again

Sun 11 Nov

3578 miles from Southampton with 475 miles to Tortolaovercast but very warm at 26 degrees at 8am

Mon 12 Nov

Land at last Tortola it’s a steaming 27 degrees but heavyshowers and sunny intervals typical Tortola weather travelled 4059 miles sinceSouthampton.

Thats very helpful. Thanks for that. :)

The weather can vary enormously as can sea conditions. In my experience on a P&O ship doing the Caribbean to Southampton route it will likely be warmer than the Cunard New York to Southampton route. Remember P&O stay much further South on the crossing as they transit via the Canaries, Madeira or Azores. This makes the cruise much more warmer but the sea conditions can sometimes be rough. Cunard hug the Canadian coastal shelf. If you went for Star Clippers transatlantic you will not benefit from the massive size of the ship. Queen Mary is going to be steadiest and Britannia a bit more rocky under the same sea conditions. Star Clippers are going to be a significantly rougher ride but the sea conditions on this clip would be the same time of year as any major line repositioning a ship.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFbjRpm2hPc

Regards John

John,

We are doing USA and Canada on Aurora in September 2018. We are non stop to New York (6 sea days) and non stop (5 sea days back). Does this mean that we will do the Cunard route both ways? Not bothered about sea conditions (quite like the odd storm actually - breaks the monotony and gives you something to talk about!) and we don't sunbathe, but like it when others do as the inside areas of the ship become very quiet. What would you say the sea conditions and weather would be like on this trip? Thanks.

Hi...Many thanks to everyone for your replies....We have now booked the TA for October on Britannia and are really looking forward to it! And we have booked the select fare and chosen an even cabin no...Thanks for the info! Starting the countdown already! We have only been on one cruise previously, last year, and we are hooked!

Hi...Many thanks to everyone for your replies....We have now booked the TA for October on Britannia and are really looking forward to it! And we have booked the select fare and chosen an even cabin no...Thanks for the info! Starting the countdown already! We have only been on one cruise previously, last year, and we are hooked!

Hello leds lot,

Glad to hear you are booked . It certainly extends the summer when you go away in October. There is a roll call started for this cruise, if you are interested in getting to know your fellow cruise mates pre cruise its worth joining.

We have never done a TA before ,always flown or joined cruises at Southampton so looking forward to this experience.

Hope to catch up with you on the roll call

I'm looking at the no-fly 35 nights Caribbean and partial transit of the Panama Canal on the Oceana in January. Most people have mentioned the weather in October or March, but what about January/February?

We've done December Tas with Cunard and have been really lucky to have had smooth crossings. I'm not the world's best sailor

I'm looking at the no-fly 35 nights Caribbean and partial transit of the Panama Canal on the Oceana in January. Most people have mentioned the weather in October or March, but what about January/February?

We've done December Tas with Cunard and have been really lucky to have had smooth crossings. I'm not the world's best sailor

If you've been lucky in the past in December, then perhaps you will be in January/February too. In the Atlantic, December and January tend to be the stormiest months, but there's not really any time of the year when you can totally guarantee good weather. However your chances of good weather are much better if you're taking a southerly route rather than a more northerly one via New York.

Loved our TA from Southampton to Barbados on ventura a few years back. We gained the hour overnight which helped the sleep but the flight back day was a long one as I cant sleep on planes very well, just don't get comfortable... The weather is always unpredictable all times of the year ( was in the royal navy based in Plymouth ) so experienced good and bad from sept to april in the channel. On out cruise it was slightly lumpy and windy first 2 days but glorious after that all trip. Our jumper mid atlantic was lucky to be far enough south to survive 3 hrs in the water before the crew fished him out... would recommend the trip but thanks for the info about clocks changing at midday might consider the other way as well now...

John,

We are doing USA and Canada on Aurora in September 2018. We are non stop to New York (6 sea days) and non stop (5 sea days back). Does this mean that we will do the Cunard route both ways? Not bothered about sea conditions (quite like the odd storm actually - breaks the monotony and gives you something to talk about!) and we don't sunbathe, but like it when others do as the inside areas of the ship become very quiet. What would you say the sea conditions and weather would be like on this trip? Thanks.

Hi Selbourne,

I think you will follow the Cunard route both ways, they tend to stay fairly close to the Canadian shallow water shelf as much as possible. Once you go into the deeper water the sea can swell more, in my opinion. It's a short and fast route although they do not sail flat out. I have noticed P&O sail slower in the day to keep wind speed across decks down and speed up more at night when the sea is not too rough.

The main point of this traditional Canadian coastal route stopping at all the ports along there is the leaf colour in the forests enhancing the scenery plus the nostalgia of the long associated New York immigration and the history of the Titanic graves at Halifax. I should hope for clear autumnal weather of a dry nature not too cold, this is likely to happen I would say.

Regards John

Hi Selbourne,

I think you will follow the Cunard route both ways, they tend to stay fairly close to the Canadian shallow water shelf as much as possible. Once you go into the deeper water the sea can swell more, in my opinion. It's a short and fast route although they do not sail flat out. I have noticed P&O sail slower in the day to keep wind speed across decks down and speed up more at night when the sea is not too rough.

The main point of this traditional Canadian coastal route stopping at all the ports along there is the leaf colour in the forests enhancing the scenery plus the nostalgia of the long associated New York immigration and the history of the Titanic graves at Halifax. I should hope for clear autumnal weather of a dry nature not too cold, this is likely to happen I would say.

Regards John

Many thanks John. A very informative response, which is much appreciated.