Room key = Sign & Sail??

Keys2Heaven

O.K. it's been almost a year since our last cruise and, apparently, something has changed. Keep reading about room keys are in sealed envelopes in your cabin's mailbox when you get on ship.

So, is the room key something new and separate from the Sign & Sail card?

I was wondering because we are flying in to Miami and plan on checking in at the airport and I was trying to figure out how our card can be attached to the sign & sail (used to be room key as well) card?

Yes, we are familiar with how the S&S works. This isn't our first cruise rodeo. I am asking why some folks are stating that they now have room keys outside their cabin door, when the S&S HAS been the room key.

The reason I don't put a credit card on the account online is that I don't want my card number stored in anyone's system until I am ready to sail. We've been a victim of identity theft twice and rather not go through that again.

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Carnival and they confirmed that the room key still is the S&S card. I have no idea what some folks are referring to when they state their room keys were in a sealed envelope in their cabin's mailbox. Can someone explain this, because the gal I spoke with at Carnival couldn't. Is it just a matter of syntax?

Edited by Keys2Heaven

Since there are so many complaints about how long the boarding process takes Carnival is trying to streamline some areas to save time. For some cruises you will not have a picture taken for your S&S card. Your S&S card will be at your cabin and your passport photo will be used instead of getting your picture taken. But the S&S card isn't changing, it's still what you use to purchase things and it opens your cabin door. It will just have your passport photo on it instead and it will be in your cabin waiting for you on select cruises where they are trying this out. Hope that passport photo of yours looks better than mine. Mine looks like Gollum. 😂

O.K. it's been almost a year since our last cruise and, apparently, something has changed. Keep reading about room keys are in sealed envelopes in your cabin's mailbox when you get on ship.

I was wondering because we are flying in to Miami and plan on checking in at the airport and I was trying to figure out how our card can be attached to the sign & sail (used to be room key as well) card?

On certain ships (probably certain ports), you will not get your S&S card (which is also your room key) before you board the ship.

We sailed from Miami October 30 2016 (Splendor) and will do so again in a couple of weeks (Vista) and this is how the process goes.

You will wait in the terminal; but will not get your S&S card. Your passport photo will be used as your S&S card photo. If you are traveling with a birth certificate only - you will get your picture taken.

You board the ship with your paperwork - boarding passes. You go to your cabin when you are able. The S&S card (room key also) will be in a sealed envelope outside of your cabin door - in your mailbox. It will be in a sealed envelope. If you see this has been tampered with, you are to go to guest services.

Otherwise, you have your S&S card/room key at that time.

If you want to purchase a drink before you go to your cabin, just present your boarding pass and you can purchase.

The room key and sign and sail card are still one in the same.

As for the airport check-in, not sure if they are still doing this? Maybe someone else can help with this.

Enjoy your cruise.

I believe the issue, for some, with this new method of leaving your sign&sail card (aka room key) in your mailbox is that anyone could "steal" it before you get there and use it for nefarious reasons before the rightful owner takes possession. Unlikely to happen on a ship where it would be easy peasy to ID the thief but some people still are concerned.

I believe the issue, for some, with this new method of leaving your sign&sail card (aka room key) in your mailbox is that anyone could "steal" it before you get there and use it for nefarious reasons before the rightful owner takes possession. Unlikely to happen on a ship where it would be easy peasy to ID the thief but some people still are concerned.

I asked the Carnival gal if this was something Carnival was piloting...sounds like it is. Just from reading these comments, I think it is an incredibly stupid idea. As I mentioned previously, I've always setup my expense account online using cash for payment. When I get to the cruise terminal and officially check in, I present a CC. That way my CC number is not sitting (encrypted makes no difference) in someone's DB. So, now they want to force me to enter my CC number online and, to top it off, have that number attached to my S&S card in my mailbox that someone (far-fetched but still possible) could steal with a scanner?

And if said envelope was tampered with, then I suppose I get the delight of going to GS and using another form of payment if I suspect an issue with the card associated with S&S to begin with. I take it I then get the joy of contacting the CC company at some point whenever I am back in cell range to officially cancel my card and assure no identity theft has taken place.

As far as the Miami airport check-in, I still see this listed on Carnival's site, so don't know what to make of it.

You'll be fine.

I asked the Carnival gal if this was something Carnival was piloting...sounds like it is. Just from reading these comments, I think it is an incredibly stupid idea. As I mentioned previously, I've always setup my expense account online using cash for payment. When I get to the cruise terminal and officially check in, I present a CC. That way my CC number is not sitting (encrypted makes no difference) in someone's DB. So, now they want to force me to enter my CC number online and, to top it off, have that number attached to my S&S card in my mailbox that someone (far-fetched but still possible) could steal with a scanner?

And if said envelope was tampered with, then I suppose I get the delight of going to GS and using another form of payment if I suspect an issue with the card associated with S&S to begin with. I take it I then get the joy of contacting the CC company at some point whenever I am back in cell range to officially cancel my card and assure no identity theft has taken place.

As far as the Miami airport check-in, I still see this listed on Carnival's site, so don't know what to make of it.

For those that are worried about your S&S card (aka room key) getting stolen and used to purchase things on board, don't forget that your picture is tied to these cards. So the likelihood of someone being able to purchase something with your card is unlikely, unless they just happen to be your long lost twin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For those that are worried about your S&S card (aka room key) getting stolen and used to purchase things on board, don't forget that your picture is tied to these cards. So the likelihood of someone being able to purchase something with your card is unlikely, unless they just happen to be your long lost twin.

I guess what I am getting at is that Carnival is forcing you to enter your credit card number online ahead of actual check-in, instead of being able to present a CC number at the terminal. Hey, if that is dem rules, then so be it. I certainly don't have to like it.

your CC number is not imbedded in your S&S card. I have never heard of Carnival's database has ever been compromised. I'm guessing you never booked a hotel or airline ticket with a credit card. Honestly I pay for everything with a credit card, it's all about the mileage.

I guess what I am getting at is that Carnival is forcing you to enter your credit card number online ahead of actual check-in, instead of being able to present a CC number at the terminal. Hey, if that is dem rules, then so be it. I certainly don't have to like it.

you don't have to if you don't want to.

You can go ahead and check in, then set up to link to your credit card when you arrive. Or, set up a cash account if you prefer that.

In fact, when we sailed from Miami 30 Oct, we were sent to another line upstairs where you assign your credit card to your S&S card. Since we had already done this ahead of time online, we jumped out of line after clearing with a terminal employee, and that saved us standing in that line.

I don't give my kids charging privileges before we board so I'm not too worried but they travel with their birth certificates so what happens if there is no passport pic?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They'll take their pic at the port. The idea is that the cards can be printed prior to embarkation and then distributed in the mailboxes when the rooms are clean. Serves the dual purpose of streamlining check in at the port and keeps ppl who aren't diamond/plat/FTTF from accessing their rooms early.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is only my thought, but I am wondering if Carnival is testing this on some ships because of people who go to their cabins before they should. Perhaps by putting S&S cards in the mailboxes, only Diamond, Platinum, FTTF, and Suite guests can access their cabins upon embarkation. All other passengers need to wait until cabins open, about 1:30.