Idle Speculation -- Ain't it Great?

LTC Dan

This itinerary was probably in place before the new IMO regulation came into effect. Every ship, starting in 2018 must meet the New Polar Code above 60d lat. I doubt these ship meet the regulation. But as i said before, It's only my opinion

http://gcaptain.com/landmark-polar-code-enters-into-force/

http://worldmaritimenews.com/archives/183185/infographic-ins-and-outs-of-imos-polar-code/

http://worldmaritimenews.com/archives/184465/1st-polar-class-cruise-ships-coming-to-market/

Strenz, I know what you mean - I used to love to visit the US but gave up over 10 years ago because I just got fed up with the outrightright hostility and hassle I encountered at Immigration (I have a British passport). It takes the shine off a holiday. This was well before 9/11 so I just couldn't understand it. A great shame.

Good news. Had dinner tonight with an officer on Star Legend who confirmed Windstar would be doing a Montreal to New York itinerary with embarkation in NY and Montreal in fall of 2018. Ports would likely include Quebec City, Prince Edward Island, Halifax, Bar Harbor. It will either be Breeze or Pride. He also said the Legend would be going to South America after Alaska and down to Antarctica. Wow

I am so pleased with these developments! Misty Morning, fun news. The only was it would be better would be if Wind Surf made a port call in New York City and along the New England coast in leaf season. Alas, twas never meant to be!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I am so pleased with these developments! Misty Morning, fun news. The only way it would be better would be if Wind Surf made a port call in New York City and along the New England coast in leaf season. Alas, twas never meant to be!

Forgot to mention that we also discussed with the officer in question about the possibility for Windstar to acquire the Club Med 2, a subject that comes up regularly in these forums. Well, bad news. He said the company had looked at it even recently but they would never acquire it given its sad state (Club Med has been going through a rough patch lately and they have not invested in the ship). He said that it would require a minimum 8-month drydock and while I do not believe a price was ever discussed, the amount of money they would need to pour in just does not make sense at any purchase price. So I guess we can put this possibility to bed.

Strenz, as you have pointed out, the attitude at US immigration is so untypical of Americans in general that it does make make it hard to understand. Yes, we live in Malta - you have a good memory! Was it a Windstar cruise, or Seabourn that we were on together? We were on Windstar a week ago. Sicily/ Malta is a great cruise - very interesting ports, so keep planning.

From what I've read, the original building cost for Wind Star and Wind Song was 65$millions US (for both) back in 1986. That translate to about 150$ millions in 2017 value. That is using mostly hand labor, no prebuilt hull segment. Probably cheaper to build new (with improved computer-design, low-sulfur engine, improved waste disposale, etc), even with the distinctive sails. Bank would be more willing to loan Xanterra the necessary fund for an asset that will keep its value for 20-30 years

:http://www.josephnovitski.com/wind_star___the_building_of_a_sailship_114299.htm

Strenz, as you have pointed out, the attitude at US immigration is so untypical of Americans in general that it does make make it hard to understand. Yes, we live in Malta - you have a good memory! Was it a Windstar cruise, or Seabourn that we were on together? We were on Windstar a week ago. Sicily/ Malta is a great cruise - very interesting ports, so keep planning.

We were in Malta last August on Celebrity Constellation (2 nighter). Nice country. Wanted to see with my own eye the area that Canada's most successful fighterpilot of the Second World War was stationed. A native of Montréal, Qc, George Beurling shot down 27 axis planes over Malta with his Spitfire.

And luck must have it, we were at Maqbba on Aug. 15 for the firework. Unforgettable (with air raid siren and Ave Maria) - Still have goose bump.

Go Malta!!!

Marama, We have only cruised WS, all 19 cruises. I think we were on a trans-Atlantic with you. I have great skills in facial recognition and hopeless with names but I did remember Malta because it has always been on my go to list especially since the Caravaggio masterpiece is there. We have been a lot in the Caribbean, Mexico, we have done the Panama Canal, Costa Rica. I do not think it was a Europe cruise unless it was Spain. I do not think it was Tahiti. You stay well and keep sailing as well. Next up with WS May Venice/Rome, the Surf, the frirst 2 weeks of January the Surf Caribbean.

No, definitely not a transatlantic so perhaps there is more than one couple from Malta! I hope that we manage to coincide one of these days, I will be sure to let you know - can't wait to get back to Windstar, its addictive. We had two friends with us on the last trip - their first ever cruise and they were in heaven. It was great to see.

Nothing booked for our next cruise yet, we are having a hard time finding something longer than 7 days without doing a B2B. We tried that on the Surf in the Caribbean in 2015 - great cruise, but no chance to get to know people. I wish there were more 10 day caribbean itineraries. If you are doing 2 weeks on The Surf in January, I am guessing its a B2B? sounds a great way to celebrate new year. Enjoy Italy in May.

This this is idle speculation...

What I would do it:

Get the Club Med - assuming it is in decent shape and could be renovated to WS standards and decor at a reasonable cost.

Get that one new build we've been chatting about - that won't be online for awhile in any case.

That would let them grow slowly enough to absorb the added capacity and avoid the disaster following the purchase of the triplets.

Then, see the performance with that capacity, and gradually order more new ships as advisable.

The above, or maybe the rumors about the purchase of one of the River Cruise lines turn out to be true...

• 2 weeks later...

Acquiring CM2 is just a dream for now but according to the new president the dream is pretty much alive.

Don't forget that those older ship will probably need major update of their power plant (ie scrubber or higher cost low sulfur fuel) to make them compatible to the latest emission regulation. Will Club Med (and chinese owner) will invest in the retrofitting of CM2 or just sell her? Can they pass the cost of low sulfur fuel to the customer without affecting rentability?

As of January 2015, The International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL) requires that ships travelling in designated Emissions Control Areas, including most waters in and adjacent to the U.S. and Canada, must use low-sulfur fuel (0.1 percent) or employ technology to achieve equivalent reduction in sulfur emissions.

In 2020, this regulation will be mandatory worldwide.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1700

Dandee2 apologies, for some reason I have only just spotted your earlier post about malta. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. The Canadians are still fondly remembered here as brave men and women. We are hoping to do the new Windstar cruise up past Quebec City to Montreal one year. I hear that both are well worth a visit.