MDR Dress Code for Young Men on Divina

gigi1313

I had read here and other places that the Divina MDR dress code prohibits jeans, shorts, and tee shirts for dinner, yet I cannot find that information on the MSC website at all, whatsoever!

Is it possible that it has changed? I do not want to be buying and lugging slacks for my 20yo son if it is not required that he wear them.

Does the daily navigator maybe spell out the dress code (recent guests)?

Thanks!

I had read here and other places that the Divina MDR dress code prohibits jeans, shorts, and tee shirts for dinner, yet I cannot find that information on the MSC website at all, whatsoever!

Is it possible that it has changed? I do not want to be buying and lugging slacks for my 20yo son if it is not required that he wear them.

Thanks!

There are numerous threads on the same subject.

If your son wears nice jeans (no holes),he'll be OK. I don't think that 20-year old young man would want to wear shorts for dinner at dining room.

My 20yo son would wear shorts year-round everywhere if he could, even in the snow! As a Gold level member on DCL, he has never packed pants for a cruise!

I'm 40 and I wear golf shorts to nice restaurants, especially in the summer. Why would a 20 yr old guy not want to wear shorts to dinner on a cruise ship? However, almost literally "When in Rome..." so I don't care to adjust, but I'd love to have the option of shorts. There's really no difference in guys wearing shorts and women wearing skirts, capris, or sun dresses. As previously mentioned, packing for a trip is always about efficiency and it would be nice to not have to pack a bunch of long pants for summer tropical weather.

IMO I think cruise lines, most of them anyway, are realizing that most pax want to be comfortable while enjoying their vacation. Most passengers prefer to have a choice of what they want to wear, no matter which dining venue they're eating in and have don't worry about the other passengers' attire.

There will always be some pax who enjoy getting dressed up but with the airlines charging for luggage and people not wanting to carry heavy luggage, it makes it easier to travel without the tux and long gowns enabling most to go light.

Also, what difference does it make to you what I've chosen to wear to dinner? I don't get that at all. When I dine in a group, I notice what others at the table are wearing but don't ask me what the guy at the next table has on, I couldn't care less, it has zero impact on me. Sorry if it bothers others what I wear but I won't be changing my preference any time soon.... SMH :o

IMO I think cruise lines, most of them anyway, are realizing that most pax want to be comfortable while enjoying their vacation. Most passengers prefer to have a choice of what they want to wear, no matter which dining venue they're eating in and have don't worry about the other passengers' attire.

There will always be some pax who enjoy getting dressed up but with the airlines charging for luggage and people not wanting to carry heavy luggage, it makes it easier to travel without the tux and long gowns enabling most to go light.

Also, what difference does it make to you what I've chosen to wear to dinner? I don't get that at all. When I dine in a group, I notice what others at the table are wearing but don't ask me what the guy at the next table has on, I couldn't care less, it has zero impact on me. Sorry if it bothers others what I wear but I won't be changing my preference any time soon.... SMH :o

I so agree with you All-ready2cruise!

No it's not. But I don't think I should bother arguing or explaining.

I second that. Great post.

Maybe its a good time to teach him about proper dress code and dinner attire ?

Seriously?

Just because his choice would be to wear shorts on his vacation, does not mean he doesn't know proper dress code/dinner attire. He prefers comfort where it's appropriate hence my inquiry on his behalf as to the appropriateness of shorts in the MDR. When societal norms call for it, he "cleans up" quite nicely, and dresses appropriately for his job each and every day, whether it be a hard hat & coveralls or a suit & tie.

Maybe it's time to quit being judgmental. The food tastes the same whether he has on shorts or pants I'm pretty sure.

THANK YOU FOR THIS!! You basically said what I was thinking! However, I would hate for my son to feel out of place but it sounds like he should be just fine whatever he chooses to wear!

BIG DITTO TO THIS POST!!

The reduction of luggage is a driving factor for us as well... plus, I have to attend a number of corporate events wearing a long or cocktail dress and it's nice to be able to leave them behind when on vacation!

Thanks!

I have posted a screen shot earlier in this thread from last month in case you have missed it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The suggestions for formal nights in the MDR are quite specific. Evening gown, cocktail dress or elegant pants suit for women. Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men. After 34 years in military I am quite accustomed dress regulations and adhere to the above. As to baggage fees my normal cruise is 14+ for which I use one suitcase and one carry on and will include a tuxedo, a dinner jacket and my military dress uniform plus all the required casual clothes, swimwear and shoes. I always travel by air and have never had an overweight or extra fee situation. So in my opinion I see no reason to not follow the suggested dress. I don't mean to offend anyone this is just the opinion of an old soldier.

Thank you,

The Colonel

Maybe its a good time to teach him about proper dress code and dinner attire ?

Why do you always give the same sarcastic response? I got the same exact answer from you months ago when asking for help with my son. It is not helpful, and totally judgemental. Please, either answer the question asked, or move on.

To answer the op's question, we sailed on the Divina in July. We were told by our butler that pants were required in the dining room for dinner but it was NOT enforced. My kids (15 and 13) wore nice shorts and shirts on all but the formal nights. Not sure if it's the same now, but that was our experience. We saw others in shorts and jeans.

Why do you always give the same sarcastic response? I got the same exact answer from you months ago when asking for help with my son. It is not helpful, and totally judgemental. Please, either answer the question asked, or move on.

To answer the op's question, we sailed on the Divina in July. We were told by our butler that pants were required in the dining room for dinner but it was NOT enforced. My kids (15 and 13) wore nice shorts and shirts on all but the formal nights. Not sure if it's the same now, but that was our experience. We saw others in shorts and jeans.

Thank you!!

For The Colonel:

You can interpret the suggestions whatever way you like, but questioning a policy because it doesn't make sense is fair as well. Mindlessly following a rule because someone says so is not a good reason. Everyone should have the right to enjoy their trip and if MSC has a way to change a policy to make that more feasible then they should. That's how the world changes for the better. Personally, it's not a big deal to me. I can eat just the same in the buffet in my shorts and tee shirt. However, I really hate to see people judge others based on their appearance. It's archaic and narrow minded.

Also, do you have a family and children? If everyone in my family packed a suitcase and carry on then we wouldn't be able to afford the cruise with the rates airlines charge for bags lately. I also have no practical use for a tuxedo despite working in a highly professional setting. That's another extra expense that is not necessary. I hope that some of you can see the viewpoint of others at some point.

We are pretty strict about the suggested attire for dinner, but one night we were still in our beach attire when we got back to the ship right at dinner time. Even though we were in "inappropriate" attire, we went to the MDR and asked the maitre'd if they'd make an exception and allow us in (otherwise we would've missed dinner). The maitre'd smiled and welcomed us right in. To our surprise, the MDR was mostly empty (I'm guessing most people were still ashore), but pretty much everyone in attendance were also in beach attire!

I don't know if they'd be stricter on other nights and under different circumstances, but the maitre'd acted as if it wasn't a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums