Inside to concierge - worth it?

bertrande

We have a Cat 9 inside for 2 pax booked on a 10-night cruise, no perks except for some OBC from TA. For a little under $3k, we can upgrade to a C2 at C3 pricing, with two perks and onboard booking bonus of $400. With the inside, we would have paid for an unlimited internet package anyway. With the C2, our chosen perks would be $300 OBC and unlimited internet for 2.

I went to see stateroom descriptions and was surprised to see there isn't a huge size difference between the two categories once you take away the balcony. We are not balcony fans.

Would you do the upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are not balcony fans I would not upgrade at that price. We always sail in balcony cabins but I have visited inside cabins on Solstice class ships and they are pretty much identical in size and lay out to the balcony cabins. So if you wouldn’t enjoy the balcony you really wouldn’t gain anything from the upgrade except the perks which are worth much less than the price of the upgrade. You would of course earn more Captains Club points in a concierge cabin if that is important to you.

Good to hear the room is almost identical - I was wondering whether I was reading the size descriptions wrongly. Then it makes zero sense for us to upgrade the inside. CC points not all that important and not a factor unless the price difference is very small, which it isn't in this case. Thanks all!

Well actually, to give some colour to this, I currently have 3 pax booked in a CS and 2 in a cat 9 which does not have a third berth. It costs slightly under 3k to upgrade the two pax to a C2. However if I upgrade the cat 9 inside to a C2, THEN transfer my third person in the CS to the C2, the difference in total price drops to $2k. Still not worth it?

Thanks!

Agree that the upgrade to CC at that price would not be worth it.

Have you considered upgrading to a Category 10 inside on an S class ship? The ones we have stayed in are higher in the ship in more preferable locations so they are very quiet. I can especially recommend on decks 7, 8 and 9 forward from the forward elevator bank on the inside corridor.

Happy cruising.

Well actually, to give some colour to this, I currently have 3 pax booked in a CS and 2 in a cat 9 which does not have a third berth. It costs slightly under 3k to upgrade the two pax to a C2. However if I upgrade the cat 9 inside to a C2, THEN transfer my third person in the CS to the C2, the difference in total price drops to $2k. Still not worth it?

Thanks!

That's what we did. We had 4 in a Concierge veranda, until someone suggested looking into an inside cabin for the kids.....it was cheaper to keep the veranda and add an inside cabin than to cram all 4 of us into the veranda. And refund too! Best decision ever! Advice from someone on these boards!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

I just booked a concierge balcony for a December cruise.

Thus will be only my 2nd cruise ever and when I researched Celebrity the concierge package was only a bit more than the deluxe veranda, I also loved the perks that were added and the location of my cabin.

I will report again after my cruise.

Oh, btw, if someone has more info on this subject I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

I still don't think it would worth it, especially if you're not balcony lovers.

Have you considered upgrading to a Category 10 inside on an S class ship? The ones we have stayed in are higher in the ship in more preferable locations so they are very quiet. I can especially recommend on decks 7, 8 and 9 forward from the forward elevator bank on the inside corridor.

Happy cruising.

Thank you! As one of the pax in the inside is my child who will be 2.5 years old at the time of sailing (booking there only to avoid single supplement for the adult - she will definitely be sleeping with us), we are only looking for rooms as close as possible to our cabin. Cat 9 is the only category that's been right next to us hence not considering cat 10 at all. Our initial booking was an aft S1 and we subsequently shifted to a CS on deck 10. Both times, the inside nearest to us has been a Cat 9. Our current deliberation is because the C2 next to us is available (although not connecting).

That's what we did. We had 4 in a Concierge veranda, until someone suggested looking into an inside cabin for the kids.....it was cheaper to keep the veranda and add an inside cabin than to cram all 4 of us into the veranda. And refund too! Best decision ever! Advice from someone on these boards!!

Yes I also got the idea from these boards! I'm definitely leaning towards leaving the bookings as they are at the moment.

The CS is really nice! First, the cabin has a true bedroom, living and dining room. Walk in closet- plenty of storage for three. It also has a much nicer bathroom with a bathtub. However, you have to step up to enter the tub, so if you have issues or are very short-not easy. You have access to Michael's club which is excellent- free drinks in the club with priority everything- but people not in suite will not have this access. You also have access to the suite restaurant, which IMO is much better then all of the other regular restaurants. The non-suite passengers can join you for a fee and based on availibility which isn't a problem. I would grab the CS. The inside cabins are very small- smaller then the CC cabins. While balcony might not be important to you, a dark small cabin with very limited storage, might not be for everyone. Even a regular 175 sq feet balcony cabin makes you feel like you have much more room. You can see the cabins on youtube.

Enjoy your cruise.

Happy cruising.

They wouldn't be upgrading to a Cat 10 inside because that's a lower cat than the 9 they are presently considering ;).

OP,

As I pointed pointed out to Pier290, it can sometimes be less expensive to have the inside cabin, together with the balcony for the adults, than paying the 3rd and 4th rate on any balcony cabin. Remember if you have the 3rd person on the inside though, they would not qualify for the extra perks offered with the CS being the 3rd person. However, in your case, I don't think it will make much difference to your 3rd person (as your child is only 2.5yrs old). Remember too, that all the persons not in the suite wouldn't have access to Michael's or Luminae (only on a pay by visit basis if space is available).

S Class ships have all the same size cabins, unless you are in a suite, CC will only be larger on M class ships. Tbh, your main concern should be regarding the dining: most evenings, will you be happy dining in a different room from those in the inside/C2 cabin?

Last November, When we booked our cruise on the Eclipse for Europe, the difference between an Oceanview and a balcony was $1200 pp. Today, three weeks before final payment is due, it cost us $179 extra for 2 people to upgrade. We grabbed it while we are waiting for AQ prices to go down! Will monitor it daily.

We have a Cat 9 inside for 2 pax booked on a 10-night cruise, no perks except for some OBC from TA. For a little under $3k, we can upgrade to a C2 at C3 pricing, with two perks and onboard booking bonus of $400. With the inside, we would have paid for an unlimited internet package anyway. With the C2, our chosen perks would be $300 OBC and unlimited internet for 2.

I went to see stateroom descriptions and was surprised to see there isn't a huge size difference between the two categories once you take away the balcony. We are not balcony fans.

Taking the other side. Don't discount the value of a balcony you didn't say where you are going, but there is a value to having a quiet place to sit and watch the world go by. Don't forget, there are also the Veranda staterooms which would be cheaper than concierge and still give the balcony.

Not for $3000.00 $$$$$$

OP,

As I pointed pointed out to Pier290, it can sometimes be less expensive to have the inside cabin, together with the balcony for the adults, than paying the 3rd and 4th rate on any balcony cabin. Remember if you have the 3rd person on the inside though, they would not qualify for the extra perks offered with the CS being the 3rd person. However, in your case, I don't think it will make much difference to your 3rd person (as your child is only 2.5yrs old). Remember too, that all the persons not in the suite wouldn't have access to Michael's or Luminae (only on a pay by visit basis if space is available).

Thanks for your thoughts on this. The reason why the dining isn't important to us is because we have been assured by Celebrity that the kids will have access to Luminae whether 1 or both are in the other room. The third person in my CS is my older daughter who will be 5 at the time of sailing. It would be ideal if I could put the two girls in the inside by themselves and have the adult in ours so that she gets the classic non-alcoholic package and luminae if she chooses but Celebrity will not allow it as they are so young.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. The reason why the dining isn't important to us is because we have been assured by Celebrity that the kids will have access to Luminae whether 1 or both are in the other room. The third person in my CS is my older daughter who will be 5 at the time of sailing. It would be ideal if I could put the two girls in the inside by themselves and have the adult in ours so that she gets the classic non-alcoholic package and luminae if she chooses but Celebrity will not allow it as they are so young.

Yes, if the kids are under 12 I believe they would be allowed into Luminae, but then the lone adult would not. Would he/she mind dining alone in the MDR each evening? Is there a CC connecting to a desired suite? If so, X will probably allow the 2 kids on paper to be put in that room and then the 3rd adult in yours. I'm unsure which ship you are sailing on so can't check the deck plans to confirm if this is possible (it is on some ships). Again, it would mean that you'd have to pay the extra for the CC room (if available).

The lone adult thinks luminae is too limited and would rather go to the buffet every night! Overnight my US TA has come back with the OBC she's able to give and I will post in the post below the pricing to get views again. Unfortunately the CC is next to but doesn't connect to the CS - there are no connecting rooms at the same price point as of now.

As stated above, overnight my TA has responded with the OBC she's able to provide. By taking that and the onboard booking bonuses etc into account and factoring all expenses that we have to make (gratuities not covered by go best and internet if we stay on the inside vs triple concierge grats not covered by Go Better), the price for 3 persons in a CS and 2 in a Cat 9 is: $16974.55 while the price for 2 pax in a CS and 3 in a C2 is $18069.55.

The difference between the two scenarios is now $1095 and no longer $3000. Is that attractive enough to get a room right next to mine as opposed to across the hallway, a balcony, slightly better amenities (I think) and higher CC points for the original two passengers in the inside (my 5-year old daughter would already have accumulated enough points for elite so to me she's irrelevant).

Sorry for all this trouble - grateful for everyone who has bothered to answer. We have one day left to make our decision as the cruise is about to end (sob!!). Many thanks in advance again.

Edited by bertrande
Updating figures

As stated above, overnight my TA has responded with the OBC she's able to provide. By taking that and the onboard booking bonuses etc into account and factoring all expenses that we have to make (gratuities not covered by go best and internet if we stay on the inside vs triple concierge grats not covered by Go Better), the price for 3 persons in a CS and 2 in a Cat 9 is: $16974.55 while the price for 2 pax in a CS and 3 in a C2 is $18069.55.

The difference between the two scenarios is now $1095 and no longer $3000. Is that attractive enough to get a room right next to mine as opposed to across the hallway, a balcony, slightly better amenities (I think) and higher CC points for the original two passengers in the inside (my 5-year old daughter would already have accumulated enough points for elite so to me she's irrelevant).

Sorry for all this trouble - grateful for everyone who has bothered to answer. We have one day left to make our decision as the cruise is about to end (sob!!). Many thanks in advance again.

You have to consider what that extra $1000 means to you personally. The amenities are not worth taking into account as you have a suite where the majority of your party will 'hang out'. The points are only really relevant to your additional adult. You would be gaining, in real terms, a balcony for one person and the perks that come with booking the CC cabin i.e. the classic beverage package and the Internet (for 1 device). So, if that is worth $1000 to you, then go for the CC (unsure how much your additional adult drinks - do they warrant a beverage package?).

You would be gaining, in real terms, a balcony for one person and the perks that come with booking the CC cabin i.e. the classic beverage package and the Internet (for 1 device). So, if that is worth $1000 to you, then go for the CC (unsure how much your additional adult drinks - do they warrant a beverage package?).

We would not take the classic beverage package. The two perks would be internet for 2 (DH will take the second internet account for his laptop) and the OBC of $300. I guess we will have to decide if the proximity of the cabin to ours, the slightly bigger room (the Cat 9 can only sleep 2 so I assume it's at the smaller end of the range of inside cabin sizes) and the balcony is worth the $1000 over ten nights. Tough choice, will mull over it. Thanks again!

If the cost of the amenities are less than the total to upgrade, then you are probably better off paying as you go! Why spend $2K to get $300 OBC and the internet package (unless the internet package is over $1700 which I believe is NOT the case!) If the balcony was worth it to you, then that is a different story and/or if you were taking the classic beverage package (the alcohol one), then there is a value to the upgrade.

Enjoy your cruise. Celebrity is a wonderful cruise line and is our favorite!

We would not take the classic beverage package. The two perks would be internet for 2 (DH will take the second internet account for his laptop) and the OBC of $300. I guess we will have to decide if the proximity of the cabin to ours, the slightly bigger room (the Cat 9 can only sleep 2 so I assume it's at the smaller end of the range of inside cabin sizes) and the balcony is worth the $1000 over ten nights. Tough choice, will mull over it. Thanks again!

Regarding the inside, Cat 9 is top of the inside cabin category - it's more about location than size. The 2 person allocation just means it doesn't contain any additional beds - this can be appropriate for any type of cabin e.g. balcony, OV, CC, it's all to do with maximum numbers allowed onboard (capacity) - there are a range of cabins in all categories holding different persons (Aqua only 2 max).