CruiseCare Protection - Family Emergency

kjwkjw

Wow, this is all a little surreal. We're set to fly tomorrow morning tomorrow (Friday) for a cruise leaving on Saturday. We just got a call from our 22 year old daughter (not going on the cruise) who was involved in a pretty major car accident involving a drunk driver. She lives about 8 hours from us. An ambulance at the scene did not take her to the ER, but she can't hear out of one ear, so a friend took her. She is now waiting on a CT.

My question is, well, a lot.

First, I'm strongly leaning towards not going on this cruise. Is this something that is covered by the CruiseCare Protection? I've tried to read through it, but it's a bit hard to focus right now. Second, I do have until the departure time on Saturday afternoon to cancel, correct? I'm referring to the CruiseCare Protection plan, not the terms of the actual cruise.

Thanks, and sorry if this is a bit scattered.

I'm sorry to read of your daughter's injury. I hope it works out well for her.

I think you should call your insurance provider. Tell them, being as you do not yet know your daughter's condition you are not yet cancelling the trip but want to know your coverage and their suggested course of action. They will know if you're covered to cancel under you're conditions and, important, how to document it. Only the insurer can speak on your actual coverage. Always phone them, they prefer that.

Best.

I appreciate that. Unfortunately, they're closed until morning.

She's being checked out now. I think we're going to base our decision on her being sent home vs. being kept for observation. Of course, she just has to say that she wants us to come up there.....

I'm sorry to read of your daughter's injury. I hope it works out well for her.

I think you should call your insurance provider. Tell them, being as you do not yet know your daughter's condition you are not yet cancelling the trip but want to know your coverage and their suggested course of action. They will know if you're covered to cancel under you're conditions and, important, how to document it. Only the insurer can speak on your actual coverage. Always phone them, they prefer that.

Well said. Better to call than speculate since your inquiry is based on actual situation. At least you will know your options, if any, when you get to know your daughter's actual condition.

I wish your daughter well.

Thanks for the replies. Fortunately, everything checked out okay and xrays were negative, so she's just going to be sore for a week or two. Really makes you appreciate all of the safety equipment (airbags, etc.) in cars these days.

Thanks for the replies. Fortunately, everything checked out okay and xrays were negative, so she's just going to be sore for a week or two. Really makes you appreciate all of the safety equipment (airbags, etc.) in cars these days.

That's great news. Now go enjoy your cruise!

Nice to know!