Just booked first-ever cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam

MtnClimber1101

I just booked our first-ever cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 7-day Alaska roundtrip from Vancouver. Our departure date isn't until June 2, 2018, but we are excited to knock something off our "bucket list".

I've been watching/using this board for awhile now to learn things about the cruise, and I'll continue to do so. Just want to thank everyone for the info they supply for first-time cruisers like us.

Anyone else that joins this cruise, we'd like to hear from you.

We just had our "first ever" cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam too, except it certainly was not our first HAL cruise - 380 days now on HAL, but our first time on one of HAL's "larger" ships. We found her to be a very lovely ship, the prettiest one so far. You picked a good way to start cruising- great itinerary and a very wonderful ship. Happy travels.

Although it is still early, you might want to start a roll call for your sailing (there are a few 2108 Alaska sailings already started but I did not see your date). You might not get a great deal of participation (shorter cruises sometimes don't), but it is nice to "know" a few people before you even get on the ship. Here is the page to start a roll call.

My first cruise to Alaska was on the Nieuw Amsterdam and I thoroughly enjoyed the ship and Alaska. Hope you have a wonderful first cruise.

I just booked our first-ever cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 7-day Alaska roundtrip from Vancouver. Our departure date isn't until June 2, 2018, but we are excited to knock something off our "bucket list".

I've been watching/using this board for awhile now to learn things about the cruise, and I'll continue to do so. Just want to thank everyone for the info they supply for first-time cruisers like us.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the HAL Forum.

We were on your same cruise in 2016 on the NA. Here is a link to our On Locations (daily activities) that should be similar to what you will experience:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/on-locations-specific-cruises/nieuw-amsterdam-alaska-2016-on-locations/

Here is a link to my photo tour of the NA to give you an idea of the ship's layout:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/

My advice (take it or leave it) Join or start a roll call for your cruise.