Which side should I choose? Port or Starboard? Europe Cruise.

Cruisekitty1977

Hello Al!

So I am planning on taking the Epic in October for a European Cruise. Signing up for a Balcony, but even though we will not be spending a ton of time on the ship during the day since it is so port intensive, I was thinking at night, when we are cruising along coast, it might be neat to see the lights along the shoreline (I am thinking we will be close enough?).

I am thinking in order to do this, I should book Starboard. Here is the itinerary. Am I correct? Anyone with experience?

Day

Cruise Ports Arrive Depart Sun Barcelona, Spain (EMBARK) --- 6:00 pm Mon At Sea --- --- Tue Naples, Italy 7:00 am 7:00 pm Wed Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 6:00 am 7:00 pm Thu Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy 7:00 am 7:00 pm Fri Cannes, France 8:00 am 6:00 pm Sat Palma, Majorca, Spain 1:00 pm 8:00 pm Sun Barcelona, Spain (DISEMBARK)

Hey Kitty,

You asked this yesterday. Either/neither side is better. Italian ports are very industrial (not much to look at). Docking is random depending on ship maintenance requirements. You won't see land between ports, so sides don't matter. Pick the room based on what's best for you.

We were forward starboard in Naples. Nicer view than port, I thought. If leaving BCN, most of the first leg is going east bound to Italy. We like the north/west bound, second leg on the starboard side even though you see nothing but sea until near port. True, in port it doesn't matter (except Naples)

If you also are concerned about the heat then remember where the word POSH comes from. When the upper classes wanted to be away from the hoi polloi (they travelled cheaply) and also having the cooler weather when travelling to/from India they would travel Port Out Starboard Home.

It would not matter much which side you are in on that itinerary.

Why wouldn't it matter? I am also on this itinerary and it would seem that if I wanted to be staring at land versus open Mediterranean I would want to be on the side of the ship that faces the land, correct? So knowing the direction the ship travels to each port would matter as well as is the port side or starboard side facing in to the shore or out towards open sea.

The itinerary I am on travels north and east so I selected port side anticipating viewing the coastline.

Appreciate feedback if my thinking is flawed.

Thanks.

When you are sailing, you are far enough from land that nothing is visible. If what you want to see isn't on "your" side of the ship, go to the other side! In port, they try to alternate sides of the ship so everyone is facing land...however, you'll be docked in HARBORS where there is plenty to see everywhere!

I guess this is an important issue to you if you are planning to stay on the ship during your port calls in the Med.

Who cares what side you are on? The point of the long port calls in the med is so that you can get off the ship early and get back on as late as possible

Here's a bit of advice for you....make the most of your sailaways....

Go up top and view the scenery and THEN go to the mdr

Or if you want to eat 1st just look at where land is and ask for a window table on that side

Caring about the side your cabin is on is a a useless concern as no 2 ports are the same

Your concern may or may not be relevant on perhaps a Bermuda cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It would not matter much which side you are in on that itinerary.

Why wouldn't it matter? I am also on this itinerary and it would seem that if I wanted to be staring at land versus open Mediterranean I would want to be on the side of the ship that faces the land, correct? So knowing the direction the ship travels to each port would matter as well as is the port side or starboard side facing in to the shore or out towards open sea.

The itinerary I am on travels north and east so I selected port side anticipating viewing the coastline.

Appreciate feedback if my thinking is flawed.

Thanks.

Med cruises travel overnight and it will be dark

Hello Al!

So I am planning on taking the Epic in October for a European Cruise. Signing up for a Balcony, but even though we will not be spending a ton of time on the ship during the day since it is so port intensive, I was thinking at night, when we are cruising along coast, it might be neat to see the lights along the shoreline (I am thinking we will be close enough?).

I am thinking in order to do this, I should book Starboard. Here is the itinerary. Am I correct? Anyone with experience?

Day

Cruise Ports Arrive Depart Sun Barcelona, Spain (EMBARK) --- 6:00 pm Mon At Sea --- --- Tue Naples, Italy 7:00 am 7:00 pm Wed Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 6:00 am 7:00 pm Thu Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy 7:00 am 7:00 pm Fri Cannes, France 8:00 am 6:00 pm Sat Palma, Majorca, Spain 1:00 pm 8:00 pm Sun Barcelona, Spain (DISEMBARK)

You will see nothing from Barcelona to Naples and the only time you might see land is from Naples onward so since this is important to you I'd book starboard

In port, they try to alternate sides of the ship so everyone is facing land...however, you'll be docked in HARBORS where there is plenty to see everywhere!

Um, no, they don't try to "alternate sides so everyone is facing land." The direction in which a ship is docked is determined by such things as what side they may do lifeboat drills on while in port, and other factors involving the port, weather, etc.

One cannot predict which side of the ship will be facing the dock in port, so it's not anything to spend time over in terms of cabin selection.

You will see nothing from Barcelona to Naples
Except for the nice afternoon of cruising through the Strait of Bonifacio. But it's a strait, so there's scenery on both sides.

For ports, I wouldn't say it doesn't matter (there is usually one side that has a better view than the other, in the eye of the beholder of course). But there's no way to pick your cabin so that you'll be on the "right" side in any given port, much less in every port of your itinerary.

But the OP was specifically asking about views while sailing, and they seem to be aware that this will be happening primarily at nighttime. As I mentioned on the OP's thread from yesterday (here), they might be able to see Giglio and Elba off the starboard side of the ship while sailing between Civitavecchia and Livorno.