ventura

cocowills

I did meet with the Hotel Director, Alisdair Ross about the matter of wheelchair allocation on entry to the terminal. I will create a separate thread on this subject. Oh, and about the treatment of single ladies.

However, really in my wide experience of cruising, I have found there is little Hotel Directors can do about food.

There were many on our cruise trying P&O again after many years. We all felt that it was basically quite good, but spoilt by things that are not really a matter of money.

We enjoyed the Glass House and Beach House. Mother doesn't like Indian food.....and the ship was overrun with this and that let out Sindhu. Epicurean is very drawn out and she wouldn't like that. Many people felt that was overpriced, but Sindhu received rave reports.:D

Our cabin attendant was very good and the staff on Reception coped very well.

We will go again as its from Southampton and we don't fly anymore. Shame that P&O has fallen far behind the other cruise lines. Its acceptable - just - and the entertainment was rather good IMHO.

They do a lot right for British tastes but in the long term they need to sort out the food quality if they want us to keep coming back.

love sailing with RCCL

About this time last year we were reading similar reports about the food on Aurora on the World Cruise. Passengers did meet with senior staff and their quite serious complaints were listened to and I believe there was some acknowledgement that standards weren't good enough. (Sorry can't remember who posted this but someone well known on these threads and a regular P&O cruiser making valid comparisons with previous experiences.) I was particularly interested because we were due to go on Aurora April/May for 35 nights so was quite concerned about food quality over a long-ish cruise. In the event, we found the food very good so I can only imagine that some significant shift had occurred - budget/chef? Whatever.

I think it's important to flag up such issues both on board where the senior staff are in a position to give direct feedback, via customer questionnaires or follow up complaint - and on here. It may prompt others who were on board and agreed to also complain in the hope that improvements will be made.

Of course everyone has a different opinion but P&O must be able to recognise the difference between one-off issues which passengers complain about and a lot of poor feedback on food or any other aspect of their operation.

If they choose to ignore it, they may lose repeat passenger bookings and certainly people reading forums to learn about P&O may have cause to pause for thought.

I think it's possible to read between the lines when we believe complaints have some foundation or are a bit unreasonable - but the reports recently about Ventura give me some cause for concern since we have a cruise booked on her.

I think well explained issues raised on here I feel are helping us to be aware of potential problems. I welcome balanced reviews and hope there will be a reversal of this situation as a consequence of the people who have made their feelings known.

I look forward to an improvement and some members posting to tell us so.

The problem is we are fed the line that staff do not get our gratuitys if they don't get top marks and out of sympathy for the hard working staff most of us do give top markings then their head office think everything is rosy and no need to improve and sometimes think they can costcut more and get away with it.

love sailing with RCCL

With respect, you also have to realise that Ventura is not the only cruise ship sailing on the seas. If other cruise ships/cruise lines can provide much better cooking serving large number of customers, there is no excuse for the Ventura kitchen team to be below standard, is there?

Sure, millions of people have barely enough food to survive, but you do not pay substantial amount of money to go on a cruise to be "just satisfied" with mediocre food so we can avoid washing the dishes at home, do you? (Maybe some people do?). It would be fair to expect some degree of cuisine standard comparable to other cruise ships, wouldn't it?

There were some days in the buffet, that after taking the food and tasted them, they were so tasteless or poor, I could not even bear eat them. I had to leave them and walked away. Of course, there were other days that there were other things to fill me, but you do not just go on a cruise to fill yourself but not really to enjoy the food, do you?

We were not expecting every dish to be spectacular, and we would understand if only a couple of dishes were below expectations or even poor. But if you have a series of dishes that were below par, and if you have quite a number of passengers complaining about the poor cooking, then, it is reasonable, isn't it to say so? Or do you expect us to keep quiet, pretend everything is fine and grin and bear it?

Actually, when I first spoke to the F&B Manager, I said to him that it would be fair to mention my issues to him to see if he could fix it before I mention it on CruiseCritic. And it appeared he did not appear to have fixed them.

Of course if the food is truly terrible it should be raised. However when the cost of a cruise is sometimes as low as £60pppn people have to set their expectations appropriately. P&O are catering for the masses and the prices and the standards often reflect this.

Of course if the food is truly terrible it should be raised. However when the cost of a cruise is sometimes as low as £60pppn people have to set their expectations appropriately. P&O are catering for the masses and the prices and the standards often reflect this.

Many of us paid quite a lot more than that low fare you quoted - those fares were probably for just a few last-minute inside cabins.Or maybe it could be "loss leader" fares which were advertised to attract customers, but when you contact them to book , you might be told those cabins with the low fares have been "sold out" ( as they had so few of them.)

What we are saying is that, sure, no cruise ship is 100 per cent perfect, but other cruise ships with comparable pricings, and which are also serving large number of passengers, they managed to make their food taste so much better (as an example, how difficult or expensive is it to put some salt and pepper in their steamed vegetables? Or to ensure that the soup in the buffet is hot, not just warm-ish...little things like that). Should we not encourage P&O senior management make the Ventura cooking team pull up their socks if they wish us to sail with them again rather than excusing for them?

Edited by Cahpek

Many of us paid quite a lot more than that low fare you quoted - those fares were probably for just a few last-minute inside cabins.Or maybe it could be "loss leader" fares which were advertised to attract customers, but when you contact them to book , you might be told those cabins with the low fares have been "sold out" ( as they had so few of them.)

What we are saying is that, sure, no cruise ship is 100 per cent perfect, but other cruise ships with comparable pricings, and which are also serving large number of passengers, they managed to make their food taste so much better (as an example, how difficult or expensive is it to put some salt and pepper in their steamed vegetables? Or to ensure that the soup in the buffet is hot, not just warm-ish...little things like that). Should we not encourage P&O senior management make the Ventura cooking team pull up their socks if they wish us to sail with them again rather than excusing for them?

Fantastic response. Our superior deluxe balcony was a lot more than that and as there are a lot of balcony cabins a lot more people will have so no excuse for cheap quality food or poor chefs.

love sailing with RCCL

But some do not like salt and pepper on vegetables. Seasoning can be added whilst on the plate, it cannot be taken away. We are on Ventura later this month so will be interested to see whether the food is as bad as some are making out. I have to say that on previous cruises on other ships, I have been happy with the food, especially considering the number of meals they serve every day.

Maybe 3000 souls on board, each with a valid opinion on food drink life style and other things!. Plenty like me and my wife who are long time exercise/ healthy option eaters and happily do not carry the burden of foodies wine snobs and the like. Added salt,sugar,thickeners,fat etc. are things we would avoid. Fresh ingredients,clean kitchens,and the kind of things on offer that we do not get around to trying at home are important to us. If these standards have indeed fallen then it will be of great concern . ....and YES my wife loves not having to cook,wash up ,make beds, and tidying up after me and grandchildren for a couple of weeks!..busy lives!...For me the Fred Olsen buffet was much better than P&O. We found wonderful fresh fish,sea food,salad and veg. Perhaps due to its North sea connections. The table beverage and clearing service a plus too. We leave on the Ventura for 12 nights soon and in the spirit of fairness to all will make further comments on food standards......but bear in mind any observations will be from my particular view and preferred menu choices. Many more valued opinions out there.

Maybe 3000 souls on board, each with a valid opinion on food drink life style and other things!. Plenty like me and my wife who are long time exercise/ healthy option eaters and happily do not carry the burden of foodies wine snobs and the like. Added salt,sugar,thickeners,fat etc. are things we would avoid. Fresh ingredients,clean kitchens,and the kind of things on offer that we do not get around to trying at home are important to us. If these standards have indeed fallen then it will be of great concern . ....and YES my wife loves not having to cook,wash up ,make beds, and tidying up after me and grandchildren for a couple of weeks!..busy lives!...For me the Fred Olsen buffet was much better than P&O. We found wonderful fresh fish,sea food,salad and veg. Perhaps due to its North sea connections. The table beverage and clearing service a plus too. We leave on the Ventura for 12 nights soon and in the spirit of fairness to all will make further comments on food standards......but bear in mind any observations will be from my particular view and preferred menu choices. Many more valued opinions out there.

We love P&O and have had 91 days sailing with them.

The food generally is okay but it is the lunchtime buffet that I find a massive disappointment.

I love meat but my wife does not and we are both of the same opinion of the lunchtime buffet.

If you can go into the main restaurant at lunchtime or sample the afternoon again in the main restaurant it is much better.

Ten years ago we used to go as a family of 6 and the Chocoholics event in the restaurant was the highlight plus lots of people ordered boxes of chocolate at the table which was a moneyspinner for them.Sadly this event is no more.

Hopo you have a great cruise.

love sailing with RCCL

We love P&O and have had 91 days sailing with them.

The food generally is okay but it is the lunchtime buffet that I find a massive disappointment.

I love meat but my wife does not and we are both of the same opinion of the lunchtime buffet.

If you can go into the main restaurant at lunchtime or sample the afternoon again in the main restaurant it is much better.

Ten years ago we used to go as a family of 6 and the Chocoholics event in the restaurant was the highlight plus lots of people ordered boxes of chocolate at the table which was a moneyspinner for them.Sadly this event is no more.

Hopo you have a great cruise.

love sailing with RCCL

Do what I do ...miss out eating at lunch time Problem solved.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Do what I do ...miss out eating at lunch time Problem solved.

Good idea but why should you especially if you are diabetic. The food should be of a good standard everywhere,where is the chefs pride in his food otherwise.

love sailing with RCCL

Good idea but why should you especially if you are diabetic. The food should be of a good standard everywhere,where is the chefs pride in his food otherwise.

love sailing with RCCL

Interesting comment that, whenever we go on Celebrity the assistant Maitre D', restaurant manager in P&O speak, always brings the head chef around the MDR in the evening, last cruise he brought him about 3 or 4 nights. Takes him round all the tables and he always encourages the diners to comment on the food, it's generally so good that there are very few complaints. But any comment is listened to, and you can be certain he will check with you later in the cruise if you have raised a criticism, to see if things have improved.

It's disappointing that P&O do not seem to encourage this sort of feedback with their passengers. We find their wait staff to be far more reserved, which I accept some people prefer, but the friendly interaction that Celebrity foster makes for a much better MDR experience.

Interesting comment that, whenever we go on Celebrity the assistant Maitre D', restaurant manager in P&O speak, always brings the head chef around the MDR in the evening, last cruise he brought him about 3 or 4 nights. Takes him round all the tables and he always encourages the diners to comment on the food, it's generally so good that there are very few complaints. But any comment is listened to, and you can be certain he will check with you later in the cruise if you have raised a criticism, to see if things have improved.

It's disappointing that P&O do not seem to encourage this sort of feedback with their passengers. We find their wait staff to be far more reserved, which I accept some people prefer, but the friendly interaction that Celebrity foster makes for a much better MDR experience.

That is good for Celebrity.We have had 169 nights on RCCL as well as 21 nights NCL,29 nights Princess and this has never happened.

It did in the speciality restaurants on Allure and Harmony though so I guess they are more motivated chefs.

love sailing with RCCL

That is good for Celebrity.We have had 169 nights on RCCL as well as 21 nights NCL,29 nights Princess and this has never happened.

It did in the speciality restaurants on Allure and Harmony though so I guess they are more motivated chefs.

love sailing with RCCL

On Celebrity Eclipse, I was quite impressed with some of the cooking there in their buffet. I asked one of the chefs around how he and his team made the food taste so nice, and what was their secret.

He said to me, "We cook it with L-U-R-V-E ! ". I laughed because it seemed amusing, but I realise a bit more now what he meant. The cooking on the Ventura gave me the feeling that most of the chefs on the ship did not cook with love ....there was simply no passion in the cooking of so much of the food, therefore, the lack of taste or flavour.

Could it be due to cut-backs from above that caused them to loose enthusiasm and pride in their cooking, I wonder? Or is there lack of leadership? Food for thought , perhaps? Maybe they ought to get Marco Pierre-White (or Gordon Ramsay) to give them a kick up the you-know-what to turn-around and improve their cooking standards because I am quite sure these guys (and gals) can cook great food if they wanted to.

Edited by Cahpek

On Celebrity Eclipse, I was quite impressed with some of the cooking there in their buffet. I asked one of the chefs around how he and his team made the food taste so nice, and what was their secret.

He said to me, "We cook it with LOVE! ". I laughed because it seemed amusing, but I realise a bit more now what he meant. The cooking on the Ventura gave me the feeling that most of the chefs on the ship did not cook with love ....there was simply no passion in the cooking of so much of the food, therefore, the lack of taste or flavour.

Could it be due to cut-backs from above that caused them to loose enthusiasm and pride in their cooking, I wonder? Or is there lack of leadership? Food for thought , perhaps? Maybe they ought to get Marco Pierre-White (or Gordon Ramsay) to give them a kick up the you-know-what to improve their cooking standards.

Perfectly said, everything you say is what I was thinking.

love sailing with RCCL

During the middle of the cruise, P&O did sent a questionaire about their food . (I nearly fell off my chair in disbelieve when I received it! ) . However, it gave the impression that it was just a perfunctory excercise to satisfy head-office requirements, because in the questionaire, for each restaurant, they only gave the passenger one and a half lines on a small A5 sized page to elaborate his/her views of the meals/service, etc. etc. That would squeeze in about 15 words! How much can you say in 15 words? We would need a couple of pages to write about our experience of the buffet alone, not just one and half lines on an A5 sized page!!

However, after they have done their excercise, the standard of their cooking remained more or less the same.

Edited by Cahpek

Most of the staff are from India - and yet many passengers said that the Indian food was horrible!!:confused:

Sindhu was universally praised however.

Interesting that there no real promotions for port days in the hairdressers for example - very unusual. No promos for the chargeable restaurants in port/quiet times. The menu leaflets for the specialty restaurants did not specify prices!!

Most of the staff are from India - and yet many passengers said that the Indian food was horrible!!:confused:

Sindhu was universally praised however.

Interesting that there no real promotions for port days in the hairdressers for example - very unusual. No promos for the chargeable restaurants in port/quiet times. The menu leaflets for the specialty restaurants did not specify prices!!

Possibly people who do not like Indian food. The curries in the MDR are excellent. Perhaps they are different from the curries people get at home. Most chiefs where we live are actually from Bangladesh

Prices for the speciality restaurants differ with the length of cruise. The offers are to found on board if there are any. These restaurants are not open during the day when a ship is in port. So clearly no offers.

On October on Azura last year the head waiter came over to us in the MDR, introduced herself and said to find her if we had any concerns. Never had that before.

On October on Azura last year the head waiter came over to us in the MDR, introduced herself and said to find her if we had any concerns. Never had that before.

As we mentioned before, on the Ventura, the accommodation and the service staff (waiters and housekeeping/stewards) and most other things were generally fine.. Some of the staff were , in fact, quite good.

To us, it was mostly the general poor level of cooking that let the ship down, not the waiting staff nor housekeeping. (Even then, in the MDR, there were a few dishes in the MDR which tasted nice, as if they were made by a different team of chefs. However, those dishes were very much in the minority, most times, they were not good. That showed that those chefs could do up wonderful dishes if they wanted to. So, why did they not do that for the rest of their cooking? That is for P&O Management to sort out.)

In the MDR, quite often the waiter/waitress would introduce herself, and he/she was always friendly and helpful. They also seem to know that the "signature dish" all to be (similar? ) chocolate mousse and sponge, and that its "Eight Layer Molten Chocolate Cake" was only two layered . Probably quite a number of customers have mentioned that to them before, but there was nothing much they could do. Even if they have informed the chefs, but if the chefs continue to do those "issues" time and time again and refused to change or improve, those waiting staff have done all they could.

The head waiter would go from one table to another and have a friendly chat with guests.

So, the Ventura, does have a number of strong points. Good accommodation, friendship and helpful waiting staff, efficient housekeeping stewards/stewardesses

If only, and this is a BIG "IF", if the kitchen staff could somehow be supported/encouraged/made to improve on their cooking, then,sailing on the Ventura could be a very enjoyable experience.

Edited by Cahpek

Having just had a look at the Celebrity page I was surprised at the number of critical posts about the food !!!

Under which thread heading did you find those critical posts? I looked under "Equinox Buffet" and the comments were generally good. Was that under another thread you were reading from?

As we mentioned before, on the Ventura, the accommodation and the service staff (waiters and housekeeping/stewards) and most other things were generally fine.. Some of the staff were , in fact, quite good.

To us, it was mostly the general poor level of cooking that let the ship down, not the waiting staff nor housekeeping. (Even then, in the MDR, there were a few dishes in the MDR which tasted nice, as if they were made by a different team of chefs. However, those dishes were very much in the minority, most times, they were not good. That showed that those chefs could do up wonderful dishes if they wanted to. So, why did they not do that for the rest of their cooking? That is for P&O Management to sort out.)

In the MDR, quite often the waiter/waitress would introduce herself, and he/she was always friendly and helpful. They also seem to know that the "signature dish" all seem to be chocolate mousse and sponge, and that its "Eight Layer Molten Chocolate Cake" (?) was only two layered . Probably quite a number of customers have mentioned that to them before, but there was nothing much they could do. Even if they have informed the chefs, but if the chefs continue to do those "issues" time and time again and refused to change or improve, those waiting staff have done all they could.

The head waiter would go from one table to another and have a friendly chat with guests.

So, the Ventura, does have a number of strong points. Good accommodation, friendship and helpful waiting staff, efficient housekeeping stewards/stewardesses

If only, and this is a BIG "IF", if the kitchen staff could somehow be supported/encouraged/made to improve on their cooking, then,sailing on the Ventura could be a very enjoyable experience.

That is a shame, I have to say on Azura in October it was the best MDR food we have had!

That is a shame, I have to say on Azura in October it was the best MDR food we have had!

Really? May have a look at Azura cruises then. And how was the standard of the buffet on the Azura? Hope it would be better than on the Ventura (which isn't difficult.) We do not expect every dish to be superb or perfect, just that the majority of the cooking to be reasonably pleasant.

Also, did you find it difficult to find a free table to sit for your meal during your cruise? On the Ventura, it was usually very difficult to find a table - sometimes, we had to go to another restaurant in which the buffet was closed (eg from Waterfront to Beach House) to find a table.

Edited by Cahpek

In the MDR, quite often the waiter/waitress would introduce herself, and he/she was always friendly and helpful. They also seem to know that the "signature dish" all seem to be chocolate mousse and sponge, and that its "Eight Layer Molten Chocolate Cake" (?) was only two layered . Probably quite a number of customers have mentioned that to them before, but there was nothing much they could do. Even if they have informed the chefs, but if the chefs continue to do those "issues" time and time again and refused to change or improve, those waiting staff have done all they could.

I agree that there is variation of quality but with such a large brigade of chefs, this is inevitable. However, I don't think this is different from the majority of restaurants and even takeaways with more than one person doing the cooking. Perhaps you were unfortunate in the choices you made.

I am interested in your reference to signature dishes though. 'Signature dish' is not a phrase I have heard in any P and O MDR and it is not used on menus (if my memory serves me well). I also cannot recall many desserts consisting of chocolate mousse and sponge served in MDR and there of course are always choices (although this may regularly be on offer at lunchtime in the buffet along with many other desserts) and the eight layer molten chocolate cake is a new dessert to me. As I will be on Ventura next week, I will keep my eyes open for them and maybe try them out of curiosity, if they are on the menu.

I truly believe that whichever cruise company passengers choose, we are extremely fortunate to be able to see the world in this way. Billions in the world have no hope of doing as we do. To appear to score points in favour of one company at the expense of another in the way some posters have done on this thread saddens me. I cruise with P & O out of choice. They are not perfect but I do think they, like others, offer a good product at a reasonable price.