Prepaid Gratuities for Canadians

Lisa8

I just booked the first leg of our cruise but realize after booking that the travel agent never asked me about prepaid gratuities. I realized after the fact when I got the invoice. The travel agent is now closed. So question is can I add prepaid gratuities now? What is the rate in CAD?

Thanks in advance

There are a couple of things you might want to consider first. For example, is there a particular reason why you want to pay them in advance? No problem if you do, just as long as you have a reason to do so, but given the choice, most prefer to pay at the end.

Consider buying OBC to cover the cost of your gratuities if the exchange rate offered by RCI is better than the rate for paying for the gratuities directly.

I don't know when your cruise is, but if it isn't in the immediate future, you might want to hold off to see if the Loonie continues to strengthen against the USD.

Of course you can still pay. If you booked with your TA you can call them. I didn't like the PRE PAID tips at first but after the last 5 cruises I just find it eaiser. Less US Money I have to carry around. I don't like gambling on the US dollar vs the Canadian dollar.

thank you @skrapngal @Fouremco @trev71

We usually prepay our gratuities cause then it gets out of the way not having to worry about it during the cruise and tip on top of that if deem necessary.

Not sure if the question has already been asked but what is the rate to buy OBC right now?

The exchange rate is better to pay them in advance right not. They are charging just about 30% to buy in advance.
I just called to get the rate for Canadians

$122.11 per person ( in CAN funds) for a 7 day cruise. It would be $94.50 in US funds for a 7 day per person.

So it is slightly cheaper then the current bank exchange rate.

Thanks a bunch.

The rate that Royal is charging to buy OBC is 1.40. It's cheaper to buy US$ at the bank, I paid 1.35 yesterday to buy our US$.

If you booked in CDN then it is slightly advantageous to prepay your gratuities ahead of time in CDN rather than US$ on board. If you booked in US$ then it doesn't matter as you will pay your gratuities in US$ either before or on board.

If you have OBC that you want to use up then it would be better to lay them on board.