Best NY Deli near the Manhattan Cruise Terminal

Cinderellie

Hello. My family of 10 will be going in May from near Philly to NY for a Norwegian Gem cruise on a Saturday. They are aching to stop at a fantastic New York deli for a sandwich before we board the ship. We are coming in a private van service so we can stop somewhere but want it to be close to the ship at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

Can you recommend any scrumptious deli nearby there?

Thanks!

Can you recommend any scrumptious deli nearby there?

No. The area by the Manhattan cruiseport is an old Irish neighborhood (Hell's Kitchen). It's where I live, and there are some great restaurants here now, but no great delis. The two big tourist trap delis in midtown (Carnegie and The Stage) have gone out of business. There's still Benash on 7th Avenue between 54th & 55th or Junior's on 45th St. between Broadway & 8th Ave (very mixed reviews for both), but if you're looking for a really good deli I would recommend the 2nd Avenue Deli (no longer on 2nd Avenue--long story) at 162 East 33rd Street or Katz's at 205 East Houston Street. If anyone in your group is looking for lox, bagels and cream cheese, I recommend Russ and Daughters near Katz's at 179 East Houston Street.

Edited by Langoustine

Hard to believe but good, old fashioned New York delis are a rarity now. I think Katz 's is the best but it's not near midtown. In that case, go to the 2nd avenue deli. It's good, but doesn't have the same atmosphere as Katz's (nothing does). Technically, Junior's isn't a traditional New York deli - just a restaurant that serves deli food.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I second 2nd Ave Deli unless you want to travel down to Katz. Juniors, who I frequent in Brooklyn is not a deli, menu is more like a Diner but does serve deli style sandwiches including my favorite Corned Beef and Pastrami on Rye.

I used too live in walking distance to Junior's in Brooklyn