Quick note from Breakaway for people with asthma ... at 3 AM

apietros

We are in the car on ride home. Wheezing and coughing has stopped.

Wasn't trying to start issues with my thread - more like venting and concern at 3 AM. Thanks all for suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you visit the ship Dr or call them and let them know of the situation?DId the prednisone help or alleviate his symptoms?

Normally, once I am at sea all my allergies tend to disappear with the sea air. At times they can be so bad that my nose is totally stuffed up, I have trouble breathing and I have been know to wheeze. However, after day one, they seem to disappear.

This past winter, starting in October and lasting through mid-February, I suffered with bronchitis and a horrible sinus infection which cause me to have congestion in my sinus area, nose and clogged ears. I was totally miserable and could not even sleep in my bed due to constantly coughing. Sitting up with pillows behind me was the only way I could get any sleep! Was this connected with my sailing on the Gem that returned to NYC on October 1st? Don't really know.

In May, I will be sailing on the BA to Bermuda. I am really hoping after hearing about the poor air quality/circulation due to smoke moving thru the ship that I do not have any issues on the ship.

MARAPRINCE

Barky cough that sounds like a seal ..... is croup.... which is viral. So your child was probably coming down with something before boarding.

It was not croup. It was just a very dry cough from an asthma attack. He was not otherwise sick.

You should get an attorney. Then call the EPA, the DEP, and the USPS. (to send your letters). They did this on purpose, they are negligent, they must be forced to pay [emoji383].

Why not a class action? Are you serious?

This is actually not that rare on ships (certainly not common) -

The most likely culprit is an allergen in the cabin (which one is subject to the patient, so someone else could stay in the same cabin next week and have no issues). Given that you have sailed before w/o incident I would say exhaust is unlikely, but certainly possible. The most likely candidate is mold (especially in Haven cabins that may have tubs outside the bathroom area - higher risk of wet carpets and floors.

Which brings me to point 2, if this happens to you, do contact Medical. Yes, you may already have the meds, but what they can order is a deep clean of the cabin including things like changing out a mattress, air filters, carpet cleans, furniture cleans, complete linen refresh etc as they think warranted. Also, its just helpful for them to be aware of the situation in case it escalates. Worst case they might even try a different cabin to see if it helps. Not sure on NCL but on other lines I have also seen them provide a cold mist vaporizer.

Third, bluntly, there is nothing NCL corporate can do about this at all after the fact. While the air in the ship may be worse in some places than others, thousands of people each day are not having attacks, there is no practical ship wide system to clear the air with all of the openings to the exterior (like every balcony door). The closest they could probably do is what some hotels do, offer allergy resistant rooms/cabins at a higher cost (and without a balcony), but that's not really a practical option.

Op - I wonder if it was one of the cleaning products used in the room - like the disinfectant for the bathrooms - I am sure you did this BUT did you remove the flowers that Haven Guests all get? they also were in the common areas of the Haven Lounge and If I remember in the pool area also - just a guess = What is his asthma triggered by? I know this doesnt explain why other ships are ok - Just thinking outloud here. Also were you on one of the 2 br suites? I know the air flow in the second BR is awful! 2 of my sons (15 and 18) slept in there and if anyone knows teenage boy funk at the end of the day and after running around all day will relate

Seriously?

cruise-pollution-siegerbild_2012-large.jpg

Give me a break. IF that photo is real, the ship is obviously experiencing a serious mechanical malfunction or fire. For the article to depict that as normal operation destroys any journalistic credibility.

I've seen that research mentioned in other articles on other threads, and I will agree with the CLIA people that the "research" as presented provides much to be desired. While none of the articles are anywhere near scientific level presentations, none of them link to published data from this study, either. There is no mention of what constitutes "natural fresh air surroundings", nor is there mention of when samples were taken and what the atmospheric conditions were. Since this was "studied" on one ship at one time, I believe the "researchers" waited for just the right conditions: high humidity, a following wind, and as noted the ship was "leaving port", so they most likely waited until the engines were sequentially starting up, and giving the black poof that all diesel engines do until the turbocharger spins up.

They state that "4 out of 5 ships were not equipped with exhaust gas cleaning systems", when in fact, no ship, anywhere is required to have a scrubber. (And cruise ships make up about 2% of world shipping. There are certain areas of the world called "Emission Control Areas" (ECA's), where emissions are more tightly controlled than the rest of the world. When in these ECA's, ships must either use a scrubber, or burn low sulfur diesel fuel. So, even a ship like the NCL Pride of America, which spends 100% of its time within the US ECA, would not be required to install scrubbers, if it were to burn the more expensive diesel fuel (though they have installed scrubbers on POA).

All marine diesel engines, must meet international standards for exhaust emissions since 2008, with incremental improvements required in the years since. These standards, as well as the standards imposed in the ECA's are international law, formulated by representatives of all the maritime nations of the world, and approved by all these governments. Especially the ECA's, like the EU's one for emissions control when in port, and the North Sea and Baltic region ECA's, were initiated and ratified by the affected nations. Trying to blame the cruise lines, when the governments of the "affected" people have not decided to use the mechanisms in place to impose stricter controls, is ridiculous.

While the Breakaway does in fact have scrubbers, they are not in use when the ship is outside the US ECA.

As triptolemus says, the photo in the article shows a ship with either a boiler fire, or an engine with a stuck fuel pump. That is not even a normal engine start exhaust plume.

Aw, I am sorry that happened. And I am glad to know he is better now. I know some people with asthma are triggered by marine paint and varnishes. Do you remember smelling paint or varnish at any time?

Exactly and that is why we book insides and ov

Many years ago and before we had serious breathing issues in our family on the Disney magic they had the nerve to varnish our balcony rail while we were in port

It stunk for the rest of the cruise and we couldn't use the balcony

Now I know the argument will be that they must do maintenance but they also must consider the pax and give warning and ask if it will disturb any pax

What if there was a 7 month old baby (sailing age being 6 months I'm assuming)

Or a pax with medical issues ?

Not nice at all to just spring this on pax without warning and an ok from the pax.

PERIOD.

Seriously?

cruise-pollution-siegerbild_2012-large.jpg

Give me a break. IF that photo is real, the ship is obviously experiencing a serious mechanical malfunction or fire. For the article to depict that as normal operation destroys any journalistic credibility.

So you are saying the media is not entirely truthful?

Bravo....and here I thought all along that you drank the kook aid....glad you don't

Be careful here. My guess is that you posted with helpful intent, but to post unsubstantiated claims as this could be considered libel or actionable defamation. 4000 pax on the ship and one person has a bad reaction to something on board, possible one of the many cleaning chemicals in use, but it could be anything. 4000 pax sailing each and every week and one person has a bad reaction does not point to "bad air" but more likely to an individual reaction to a single specific substance.

I thought the air in and around deck 6/7/8 was unbearable

Be careful here. My guess is that you posted with helpful intent, but to post unsubstantiated claims as this could be considered libel or actionable defamation. 4000 pax on the ship and one person has a bad reaction to something on board, possible one of the many cleaning chemicals in use, but it could be anything. 4000 pax sailing each and every week and one person has a bad reaction does not point to "bad air" but more likely to an individual reaction to a single specific substance.

You should probably also quote every other poster as well on every negative thread on every cruise line board.

Just wondering....if a poster comments on feeling ill due to the sewage smell reported on many ships....is that slander?

Sent from my iPad using Forums