Exodus of Seabourn Executives

DCCruiser57

I was also present during the inaugural cruises and this was not my experience. Both Delaney's and Prelog's replacements did seek out passengers to join for coffee, tea, lunch or dinner. Unfortunately they can't get to everyone in a short period of time with so many on board and depart leaving an unfavorable impression with others. I also agree with the poster who said that Austin has an impressive background. And the new VP of hotel operations, Mosslinger, was with Seabourn for 7 yrs some time ago and is the person who originally hired Prelog. I think we should give these guys a chance.

on my very first SB Legend in 2000 mr Prelog was ass maitre d'h and a year later Maitre ...

I agree that they should bring Nick Hale back but they treated him so dreadfully that bridges have been burned. Nick has been with Viking for a while and does not seem to have lost any of his joie de vivre and general awesomeness!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wonder if they left because they got tired of the never ending tirade of dress code posts. In my most humble opinion.

Let the attacks begin.

I wonder if they left because of the various less than stellar happenings over the past year or so - staffing problems due to Encore coming on song; not everyone being in favour of the Thomas Keller doubtless very costly introduction; some apparent things not quite right on Encore, like the lack of a laundry and many people wondering why on earth they have introduced the Retreat, etc. etc. There have been more complaints from previously ardent Seabourn fans recently than I can remember over the past 10 years or so. I think the dress code 'tirades' would be the least of things which may have been the cause.

Nick was the best we have had on any cruise.We heard he is on a River boat.

Nick was the CD on our first Seabourn cruise, along with Captain Mark Dexter and Luca the maitre' d a winning combination in anyone's eyes, they made the experience very special.

The same three were on our first cruise, too, which was on Seabourn Pride 7-12-2008, Copenhagen to Baltic coupled with a back-to-back cruise to Norway. Totally agree they were tops,as was the maitre d' in the Veranda/Restaurant 2. What a way to start our Seabourn experience!:cool:

Wonder if they left because they got tired of the never ending tirade of dress code posts. In my most humble opinion.

Let the attacks begin.

Hey, no attacks. You might be on to something. Seriously though, as much as they hope us Diamond/Elite/Supercalifragilocious members keep spending more and more for less and less, they do not really care (talking about corporate-Never ships crew) what we want. It took me a while to accept the fact but, after complaints/suggestions/recommendations to numerous favorite lines, it became very clear that they view over 60 as "done" as far as building ships for us. The ships being designed today are for present 30 somethings. Just the nature of ships and shipbuilding life limits. The Triplets were designed and built when we were 40ish at most. My favorite ship ever, QE2, had her Maiden Voyage the same year I hit 21. That ship had my name all over it (except the funds to travel more). One thing is for certain. Service will be done by fewer crew for more passengers with every new ship out there. If you want a model, just look at the airlines.:eek:

Jim Avery,

I am afraid you are right and find your logic is sound, grounded as it is over a long period and your personal experience.

For me the question is what can I do about it (and I hate to consider that Seabourn has relegated my demographic, 60s, to the fossil cabinet) since we have 3 further cruises booked. One tactic I have taken is to book them on the Odyssey class ships on the basis that the

Encore does not work for me; it just does not feel like a generous-space "Seabourn ship" with its too small MDR, Club and Grand Salon, and the outdoor space for recreation and shaded sun loungers is less than what you find on the Ody class ships which have 150 fewer passengers. Meaning no encore for Encore and to an Ovation.

So I figure that we are good for a long time and that Seabourn might as well segment the market with/for those who prefer the scale and style of the Encore class ships. (And about dress codes, maybe the Encore class ship can become "no dress code dress code" whereby at you can be as casual or "individual" or "sporty" or precious, without regard to any convention whatsoever 24/7 in the public areas and dining rooms!?

Anyway, we will see how market segmentation as a strategy can work for Seabourn and if everyone finds a way to stay happy. But since the itineraries are so different going out the next couple of years, and for all we know the pricing will reflect popular demand and Seabourn's likely interest in premium pricing for their new babies in their inaugural year, there will be some straightforward choices to make.

Of course, if you don't like what you see there are always other cruise lines to try... I am kinda surprised how often non-cruising and often younger-than-us friends are asking about river cruises. That demographic seems to want something very different from what the mainline cruise lines are offering.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham

Pop-I - I realised your comment was tongue in cheek, and phrased my comment poorly. Sorry. I do think the other points I made show that the management who have left (of their own volition I presume?) made some poor and expensive decisions.

One more thought - people have mentioned Windstar, and I intend to have a serious look at the little sisters now on that line - especially as I think they have covered over the silly little pool and made it part of the casual restaurant.

• 5 weeks later...