Dining attire for kids on Escape?

claireruth

I have two boys that are 8 and 11 whose normal choice of attire is basketball shorts and tech shirts. :) I know they don't have to dress up for dining on the cruise, but what do kids normally wear to the restaurants for dinner? Their everyday clothes seem too casual, but long pants and dress shirts aren't going to get worn again if I go buy them.

My kids normally wear nice playclothes to dinner. The "rules" even state that "nice" shorts are always OK for children. For us, that usually means coordinated athletic wear or jean shorts and a (clean, not ripped) tshirt. The Tshirt should have some type of sleeve. They should also wear something on their feet that are not flip flops (or nike slides) - but athletic shoes are fine, including the slip on kind, as are the shoes that are sandal-like but cover the heels and toes (like the Timberland ones).

Hope that helps!

I have two boys that are 8 and 11 whose normal choice of attire is basketball shorts and tech shirts. :) I know they don't have to dress up for dining on the cruise, but what do kids normally wear to the restaurants for dinner? Their everyday clothes seem too casual, but long pants and dress shirts aren't going to get worn again if I go buy them.

Even adults don't have to wear long pants and dress shirts.

Pants are only required in two restaurants on Escape I think, and maybe after a certain time? Bistro and Banyo (sp - upscale Latin place).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know you are trying to be helpful but it doesn't help anyone if you just guess at answers.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

I know you are trying to be helpful but it doesn't help anyone if you just guess at answers.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

Actually with a little more research you would find that CP3o was correct. Do a google search on any Dailies from the Escape and the dress code reads:

"Resort casual and shorts are allowed in all dining venues except Bayamo and Le Bistro after 5:00p. Shoes and shirt must be worn."

Escape is an exception to the faq you posted. I found this out by researching our upcoming cruise on the Escape.

Was just on the Escape with 14 kids and basketball shorts and tech shirts are just fine. The only thing we ever got called out on was wearing baseball hats. We only dined in Taste, Savor and Manhattan Room so can't speak about any others.

My boys are 9 and 12, our cruise leaving in 10 days will be our 9th cruise on NCL. They usually wear golf shirts and nice shorts to dinner, on formal night they wear long pants, long sleeved shirts and a tie. They would be dressed up more than most kids on formal night, on par with most on any other night.

Usually NCL has one dining room with a more relaxed dress code, where nice shorts are always acceptable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 12 year old boy wears khaki shorts and a "nice" t-shirt like one with a striped pattern or a polo.

I've always paid more attention to making sure my kids have good personal hygiene than clothes. As in showing up with you and your clothes clean, hair and teeth brushed or combed, wearing deodorant if needed, etc.

That sounds like common sense but I am amazed at kids - and many adults - hygiene these days and how their parents allow it to go unchecked. I'm not a stickler or anything, or trying to sound like an azz, but to me it helps instill a sense of pride in kids - and adults. Not everyone looks like a super model, but everyone can look sharp. Even if the kid is wearing a $8 pair of khakis and a $3 polo shirt (yes $3) from Wal-Mart (wife loves bargains). My son will rarely wear this so why spend big?!

My 12 year old boy wears khaki shorts and a "nice" t-shirt like one with a striped pattern or a polo.

I've always paid more attention to making sure my kids have good personal hygiene than clothes. As in showing up with you and your clothes clean, hair and teeth brushed or combed, wearing deodorant if needed, etc.

That sounds like common sense but I am amazed at kids - and many adults - hygiene these days and how their parents allow it to go unchecked. I'm not a stickler or anything, or trying to sound like an azz, but to me it helps instill a sense of pride in kids - and adults. Not everyone looks like a super model, but everyone can look sharp. Even if the kid is wearing a $8 pair of khakis and a $3 polo shirt (yes $3) from Wal-Mart (wife loves bargains). My son will rarely wear this so why spend big?!

Clearly your kids aren't the super texture sensitive that some are. For things like weddings, fancy parties, etc, I make mine dress up, but on vacation, I'm not willing to field an hour of crying fits and wrestling to "make" them wear clothing they hate just for dinner - since they'll change back to play clothes immediately afterward to go to splash academy. But the play clothes they wear will coordinate and be clean, that I will make sure of.

Of course, this cruise, I plan to dine mostly ensuite at night so that I don't have to deal with a 5 and 8 year old not tolerating dinners that take 2 hours. Can I make them behave? Yes. Do I want to spend every evening giving them "Mom eyes" and whispered threats of punishment that I will then have to carry out because I'm trying to meet someone's expectations of what dressed up "enough" is at dinner or because they're antsy after an hour of "dinner", when they're done and we haven't gotten entrees yet? No. That's not a vacation, and it's part of why we sail NCL.

Depends on which restaurants you are talking about.

Not true in some restaurants.

Yeah, I know that, and I keep forgetting we have to give every tiny freaking detail in any answer or the forum police will spend their days nitpicking. My bad.

Has anyone mentioned yet that shorts are permitted when dining in the waterfront seats at Bayamo? God forbid we forget even a tiny bit of info and simply generalize.

Yeah, I know that, and I keep forgetting we have to give every tiny freaking detail in any answer or the forum police will spend their days nitpicking. My bad.

Has anyone mentioned yet that shorts are permitted when dining in the waterfront seats at Bayamo? God forbid we forget even a tiny bit of info and simply generalize.

No one is trying to play forum police, we're just trying to give the OP correct information. Take a deep breath.

No one is trying to play forum police, we're just trying to give the OP correct information. Take a deep breath.

My point is that the info was not incorrect. Not citing every minor exception does not render the info false, just because you think so. Telling someone that adults can wear shorts is not wrong. Telling someone that pants are required at Bayamo is not wrong. There are exceptions to both, but the general info is correct.

Take your baton off my head.

That sounds like common sense but I am amazed at kids - and many adults - hygiene these days and how their parents allow it to go unchecked. I'm not a stickler or anything, or trying to sound like an azz, but to me it helps instill a sense of pride in kids - and adults. Not everyone looks like a super model, but everyone can look sharp. Even if the kid is wearing a $8 pair of khakis and a $3 polo shirt (yes $3) from Wal-Mart (wife loves bargains). My son will rarely wear this so why spend big?![/quote

Pressing the like button !:)