Question about the White Pass Train in Skagway, Alaska???

Hoping someone is familiar with the White Pass train excursion in Skagway can help me. There is a group of us and some booked the excursion through shore trips which your return ride is not by train, I like bus. The other part of our group wants to book the one through Carnival which is train both ways. Which is the better excursion ? Do you get to see more by taking the bus back? What is the big difference between these. Is there anyone with knowledge on this that can help. I would like to see and experience the most from this excursion. Thanks for any info....

We did this excursion two years ago (different cruise line but same excursion). We selected to ride the bus up and train down. The bus stopped a few times so we could take photos. Our excursion also included a stop by a sled dog training camp. I don't know if Carnival offers that, but if it does I would do it again. The train ride is nice but I like riding the comfortable bus up with the narrations of sites.

Hoping someone is familiar with the White Pass train excursion in Skagway can help me. There is a group of us and some booked the excursion through shore trips which your return ride is not by train, I like bus. The other part of our group wants to book the one through Carnival which is train both ways. Which is the better excursion ? Do you get to see more by taking the bus back? What is the big difference between these. Is there anyone with knowledge on this that can help. I would like to see and experience the most from this excursion. Thanks for any info....

The train bus combo is a usually a little longer . To connect with the bus , the train goes all the way to the Canadian border.

I prefer the one that goes to the summit and returns. I would take the bus to the summit and back separately .

If you cross the Canadian and US border a passport will be required to cross back into the US.

We did the train up and van back through an independent company. Would HIGHLY recommend doing this and not going through Carnival. At least take the train one way and van/bus the other way. Think you see more.

We rented a car and let loved every mile of it. Stopped at every turnout and took a LOT so pics, some of which hang on our wall. The Yukon Territory is beautiful! Loved just going at our own pace. (Which is much faster than group setting). We haven't done the train but never will after our drive. The road goes up the opposing side of the ravine and you basically take the same route but travel as you wish. Just take your passport to cross into Canada. Its an awesome drive!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the bus up into the Yukon and then the train back down. We were on Princess, but sure that Carnival would offer the same excursion. I think it was about 8 hrs, but going into the ice fields in the Yukon was worth the time. We went up to Emerald Lake then had lunch before go back and getting on the train for the trip back.

Did this excursion twice. Both times took the train up and bus down. First time we went to the suspension bridge after the train ride. The second trip, we stopped at Liarsville for a show and salmon bake. I recommend going to Liarsville.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did the train both ways, and the trip back down is just an identical repeat of the trip up. I suppose the bus back down would offer you a different perspective and possibly some different sights. The only potential irritation would be that I think you must take your passport with you if you switch to the bus.

I did the train both ways, and the trip back down is just an identical repeat of the trip up. I suppose the bus back down would offer you a different perspective and possibly some different sights. The only potential irritation would be that I think you must take your passport with you if you switch to the bus.

We took the train up and the bus back. We needed our passports on the train to get into Canada.

I believe you will need a passport no matter which mode of transportation you choose.

In all the years of cruising that excursion ranks right up there near the all time best.

We booked with Chilkoot.

Bill

It has been more than six years since we boarded the White Pass Train, but I think the pictures starting at the bottom of page three of this review may be helpful: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1270083&page=3. Page four includes pictures of the van ride back. We enjoyed stopping at the border and several other spots, including Bridal Veil Falls. I am glad we took the train up and the van back.

We took the train up and the bus back. We needed our passports on the train to get into Canada.

I believe you will need a passport no matter which mode of transportation you choose.

In all the years of cruising that excursion ranks right up there near the all time best.

We booked with Chilkoot.

Bill

Thanks for info. Doing our first Alaska trip in Sept and will look them up.

You can read a lot more about your options here on the Alaska ports forum. I'm cruising Alaska in June, although on a different cruise line. I booked with Chilkoot tours, which includes the van ride up (due to the time that the ship arrives in port) and the train ride back down. The smaller group size allows them lots of flexibility while traveling in the van, so that they can stop for photos. I always prefer a smaller group size!

We did the bus through Carnival it will take you at least 30 miles beyond were the train goes plus it stops for lunch, photo ops, and places of interest i don't think u get that on the trail, you will need your Passport

DO the Bus you can't go wrong just my opinion

Thanks for info. Doing our first Alaska trip in Sept and will look them up.

You're welcome.

We stopped at Emerald Lake, at the sign that said Welcome to the Yukon, the dog sledding place which is where we had lunch.

They also have a place there where they have all kinds of animals on display. They are not alive anymore. The taxidermist did a great job on them.

We did it while on a Princess cruise in September. Since we were the last cruise of the season the shopping was outstanding for souvenirs. My wife bought a coat there as well it was so cheap.

Have a great time.

Bill

You're welcome.

We stopped at Emerald Lake, at the sign that said Welcome to the Yukon, the dog sledding place which is where we had lunch.

They also have a place there where they have all kinds of animals on display. They are not alive anymore. The taxidermist did a great job on them.

We did it while on a Princess cruise in September. Since we were the last cruise of the season the shopping was outstanding for souvenirs. My wife bought a coat there as well it was so cheap.

Have a great time.

Bill

Probably better not to tell DW about the shopping:) but we certainly plan to follow in your footsteps.

We are mostly cruising on Princess these days but when CCL announced two week RT journey cruise to Alaska couldnt resist.

Probably better not to tell DW about the shopping:) but we certainly plan to follow in your footsteps.

We are mostly cruising on Princess these days but when CCL announced two week RT journey cruise to Alaska couldnt resist.

I think Princess s doing something similar in the Emerald Princess in spring 2018.