I Wish Someone Had Told Me On My First Carnival Cruise.....

dpeeps87

I've never had a problem with anything being sold out...maybe I've been lucky, but I also don't buy a lot on the ship. I definitely wait until the last day to purchase any pictures that I might want.

We didn't buy any pictures on our first cruise. This will be our 2nd. Are the pictures cheaper on the last day?

I've come to the Carnival board to get some info on cruising on a Carnival ship since I'm thinking of booking my first Carnival cruise. After reading these tips, I only have one question: how do you purchase a FTTF pass and how much does it cost?

Also, two posters commented on bringing baggies to pack snacks and lunches to take on excursions. I'm surprised that no one pointed out to these posters that taking food off the ship that is not sealed (such as small boxes of cereal), and especially fruit, is prohibited.

Actually I thought about saying something but didn't want to hijack the thread with the inevitable argument that ensues every time this is pointed out...

YIKES!!!!!!! So they don't have signs when you get off with buses to know where you are going? Our trip last year we only did one excursion and it was in Labadee Haiti which was so small there was no cars or buses. All was walking distance and you followed the signs. This time around, we have excursions at every stop, we have kids (didn't bring them last year), AND all excursions include a bus ride.......now I'm worried!

Yes, they have people standing around with signs. We've never had any problems finding our excursions through Carnival.

This thread is chuck full of great advice and ideas!

Here's my two-cents....

Seasickness: We buy the Walmart/Equate brand of Motion Sickness tabs...25 mg meclizine...8 tablets for about $1.50...take one tablet every night before bedtime starting the night before you leave...have never had a problem with sea sickness since we started using these...and taking it at night deflects the drowsyness....

Hanging Hamper: Picked one up at the local Dollartree...hangs on a hanger, put your dirty laundry in the top, when you get home, it has a zippered bottom to empty....if you cannot find this particular item, grab a zippered suit bag from the dollar store and use it the same way...this is fantastic for small stuff (socks, underwear, etc)..I suppose you could also just grab a laundry bag from the dollar store and hang it on a hanger also...

Highlighter: to mark all the things you want to do/see on your daily schedule, so you're less likely to miss stuff...

Hand sanitizer: at the entrance of all dining areas and also randomly around the ship...USE IT...

Social Media app: LOVE IT!! I know some people like to completely 'unplug' while on vacation....but it's a great way to keep in touch for emergencies, etc....and to share photos!!

Light alarm app: This is great if you have an inside cabin or just want to wake up at a time when it's dark...it's called 'light alarm free' ....you set the time you want to wake up and your phone will gradually start to light up (like a sunrise) 15-30 before the alarm time....it has sound, or no sound....super valuable tool for people (like me) that do not like to wake up in the dark....

Price drops: There is a website that you can subscribe to, some refer to it as the fishy site...it does cost like $1 per cruise watch...and they will email you if the price of your cabin drops....this website is a win....

Haven't read through the thread..but:

1. You can order as much food as you want during dinner. It always cracks me up when I'm at a table with cruisers who order 1 entree, and I order 2-3, and every dessert, and they're shocked you can do this.

2. You don't have to do Carnival excursions! You can find your own excursions, which will be cheaper and better!

#2 is true but you have to go into it knowing that you are only guaranteed the ship will wait for a carnival excursion if something were to happen that delays you getting back to the ship. If you are on your own, the ship will leave you behind if you're not back in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

#2 is true but you have to go into it knowing that you are only guaranteed the ship will wait for a carnival excursion if something were to happen that delays you getting back to the ship. If you are on your own, the ship will leave you behind if you're not back in time.

We have always booked excursions with outside companies with no problems. However, I would only book an all day excursion through the ship for the reasons you stated.

We have always booked excursions with outside companies with no problems. However, I would only book an all day excursion through the ship for the reasons you stated.

Yes totally agree! I've done both - whenever I've booked with an outside company I always make sure I'm back near the ship at least two hours before it's set to depart. I'm terrified of getting stuck behind! Haha

YIKES!!!!!!! So they don't have signs when you get off with buses to know where you are going? Our trip last year we only did one excursion and it was in Labadee Haiti which was so small there was no cars or buses. All was walking distance and you followed the signs. This time around, we have excursions at every stop, we have kids (didn't bring them last year), AND all excursions include a bus ride.......now I'm worried!

We have done several excursions moreso not thru the ship but when you get off there should be someone in your path holding a sign for your group. They usually have a rollcall and will look for you if you are not present.

A few more if not covered. Put your phone in airplane mode and take pics that way. If you leave it active it will go into roaming and you may get a extra several hundred dollar phone bill when you get home.

get a cheap NON GFI power strip for charging stuff.

MDR= main dining room

The wind tunnel is a door, on both sides usually around 6-9th level at the front of the ship. these are unmarked doors. open them and then a second that puts you out on a deck below the bridge and major wind going thru them. usually no body out there.

make sure you see the love and marriage show, cant miss.

we use a battery powered light in the bathroom. scented candle.

only sealed food can be carried off legally. Coming aboard in mexico you can't bring any found shells onboard altho I have seen people have them in their pockets that were not discovered :) when you get off the ship at ports they are always wanting to take your picture so you can bypass them if not interested.

check out the movie on deck at least a night or 2, get some popcorn.

have heard that the juice machines at breakfast will still have juice in them for lunch but with no label. We bring a big plastic style sealed cup to keep filled with water walking around. we like the lanyard for our card. Ask for some playing cards at the front desk, free souvenir.

just a few more

Michael

Download the Carnival Hub before you get on the ship. It's a great resource! It even has an IM on it!

Bring towel clips (you can find them at Wal-Mart). So when your out at the pool they keep your towels in place and others won't mistaken your chair for theirs! (And no I do not reserve my chair at AM)

Pack a highlighter for anything you want to remember in all the paperwork they put in your rooms.

Magnetic hooks are great! Get the ones found in a hardware store so they are strong holding. Also get the magnet clips to hold things like the fun times! Or excursion tickets that you do not want to lose

Hairdryers in rooms are not strong, so if you have thicker hair, bring your own. (I bought a strong travel one on Amazon they weighs 1.2 lbs)

Don't miss the chocolate extravaganza the last sea day... It's about 1pm. (I missed this my first 2 cruises)

Bring an old gift card if you need it to keep the lights on in your cabin like the Vista has.

If you have needs for outlets, being a power strip (new) and one without the surge protector on there.

If you like a late night snack and don't want pizza or to stand in a long line for food... Right around dinner, go to the deli, get a wrap sandwich, wrap it in a cloth napkins and put in your fridge. It does not get soggy.

On your debarkation morning, you can still eat breakfast in the MDR and relax.

Bring your own Yeti cup (or whatever your preference is) for mixed drinks by the pool. They will fill them up fg or you and your drinks will stay cold!

Mist of all enjoy!! As someone else mentioned... You can't do everything, so don't worry and sit back and enjoy! Carpe Di Em!!

What's a Yeti cup?

I have learned SO much from this thread - thank you all for your tips!

What's rule on carry-on wine on Carnival - one bottle or two?

One 750mL bottle of champagne or wine per adult over 21

If you bring it to the dining room for with dinner, still in bottle (whether they open it brand new or you opened it previously in your room) they can and may charge you a corking fee for pouring it for you (YMMV)

Best to go down to a bar, ask for empty wine glass, pour it in your room yourself and carry into the dining room with you

A few more if not covered. Put your phone in airplane mode and take pics that way. If you leave it active it will go into roaming and you may get a extra several hundred dollar phone bill when you get home.

get a cheap NON GFI power strip for charging stuff.

MDR= main dining room

The wind tunnel is a door, on both sides usually around 6-9th level at the front of the ship. these are unmarked doors. open them and then a second that puts you out on a deck below the bridge and major wind going thru them. usually no body out there.

make sure you see the love and marriage show, cant miss.

we use a battery powered light in the bathroom. scented candle.

only sealed food can be carried off legally. Coming aboard in mexico you can't bring any found shells onboard altho I have seen people have them in their pockets that were not discovered :) when you get off the ship at ports they are always wanting to take your picture so you can bypass them if not interested.

check out the movie on deck at least a night or 2, get some popcorn.

have heard that the juice machines at breakfast will still have juice in them for lunch but with no label. We bring a big plastic style sealed cup to keep filled with water walking around. we like the lanyard for our card. Ask for some playing cards at the front desk, free souvenir.

just a few more

Michael

NO CANDLES IN SHIP- fire is #1 fear on a ship. Can get scented battery operated ones but never open flame.

My first cruise was our honeymoon on Carnival's Festivale in 1992. Back then, all we had were film cameras. We were on the southern itinerary out of San Juan (St. Thomas; St. Maarten; Dominca; Barbados; Martinique; Sea day AND passing all the other islands). So I wish someone told me to bite the bullet and take at least five rolls of film for each day of the cruise, including the sea day for pictures of other islands we passed. That way, I wouldn't have had to have been "picky and choosy" about what to take pictures of. I initially took one roll for each day, payed out the wazoo for a roll of film in Martinique (I had run out by then) and again paid top price for another roll from the shops onboard Festivale to get pictures by the pool and other islands we were passing (St. Kitts/Nevis; St. Eustatius; Saba). There were a lot of photo ops on the islands I missed out on to be able to conserve film. I also wish someone told me to get plenty of pictures of Festivale, including the inside. Very happy to now have digital cameras, so I don't have that problem anymore.

You can purchase FTTF as a shore excursion on the carnival website. Click on Explore on the site..then Shore Excursions..then search by port and click on your departure port...New Orleans, San Juan, etc..whichever city you are leaving from..and look for the Faster to the Fun excursion..ranges from 50-70.00, or it did a few years ago.

They have signs. You will find where you need to go pretty easily. No worries.

If you are prone to MOTION SICKNESS the absolute best thing for you is to bring ginger tablets with you (you can find them in the vitamin section in your local grocery store or Walmart). I suffer BADLY from motion sickness... I can't ride in a car for more than 10

If you are prone to MOTION SICKNESS the absolute best thing for you is to bring ginger tablets with you (you can find them in the vitamin section in your local grocery store or Walmart). I suffer BADLY from motion sickness... I can't ride in a car for more than 10-15 minutes without feeling horribly sick to my stomach due to motion sickness.

When I cruise, I start taking ginger with each meal a couple of days before my cruise and then continue to take it each day during the cruise and I feel absolutely NO motion sickness the entire time. It works much better than Dramamine or the other motion sickness meds - even the non-drowsy versions still make you a bit wonky.

I didn't know about ginger on my first cruise and I was miserable... I took Dramamine and wore one of those bracelets that's meant to stop motion sickness. While my sickness was lessened slightly, it was not gone completely - and I suffered. I swore never to cruise again... but then I found out just how magical and wonderful ginger was... and here I am, with a TON of cruises under my belt.

I swear, if you get motion sick - TAKE GINGER - you will find that it is the magic pill that you have been looking for

If you are prone to MOTION SICKNESS the absolute best thing for you is to bring ginger tablets with you (you can find them in the vitamin section in your local grocery store or Walmart). I suffer BADLY from motion sickness... I can't ride in a car for more than 10

Do they offer motion sickness pills at guest services? Just wondering as ncl does for free.