Does HAL have an APP for texting other passengers?

zamboni88

Sorry. I'm a bit confused now. When you're talking about this Navigator app, you're talking about an app that was on the cabin television, not one that you were able to use on your smartphone. Correct?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

You can use your phone, tablet, Kindle. I found it very user friendly. So it must really be easy! As my plans changed I looked at the offerings and Voila! I knew where and when the next movie played in the theater and where was the closest Happy Hour.

The TV in the room was nice too lots of info and movies etc

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

It is not actually an "APP" that you load on your device. It is a set of web pages internal to the ship which provide the information listed. It is very nice, and can be used from any device that has a web browser. I used Firefox on two different ships and had no problems with it at all.

As someone going on HAL for the first time- can someone tell me which ships offer unlimited internet, rather than by minute packages? I'll be on Zuiderdam in June.

And yes I plan to bring my iPhone, kindle and iPad!

I believe that you are referring to Cruise Ship Mate rather than Cruise Ship Messenger.

igraf

For messaging on the iPhone the app is Cruise Ship Messenger. My wife and I just installed it and tested it using our home network. It's pretty slick and a simple texting device. We have GoTenna's but found them inconvenient to use. We always have our iPhones and will look forward to testing it on an upcoming cruise on the Volendam. On all of our previous HAL cruises we've been able to access the ship's WIFI for reading the NYT and daily schedules, etc.

I have to believe that eventually shipboard LAN admins are going to get savvy to this and shut down whatever port it rides on or otherwise curtail its use... not to be priggish or predatory, but rather in the interest of responsible LAN administration. Since these apps don't rely on a central server (like Skype, for example) to help establish the peer-to-peer connection, that means that they are broadcasting - effectively putting out messages continually to every device on the LAN about their presence. If enough people do that, it becomes another source of network congestion and performance degradation.

I just hope that they don't get wise to this until after next summer. :)

I had a boss who would email me for most communications, even though we sat in adjacent offices! I suppose that for some instances a record of the communication is important, but most of it was just a habit of not talking directly to people.

Have you noticed that a growing number of people do not like to make or receive voice calls?

igraf

...As I said previously, my concern not the presence or use of an app, but the idea that without an app, communication with others would be impossible or just too inconvenient to even consider. I think the trend toward reliance on technology-based communication has made people forget that it is possible to do things without the technology. And that's what I mourn, the loss of knowledge.

Have you noticed that a growing number of people do not like to make or receive voice calls?
There's no reason to believe that the number of people is necessarily growing, as opposed to previously ignored segments becoming more evident and making their needs better known. It's actually an interesting topic that's come up for me in many contexts, at work (both in terms of our own people and those people we serve) and at church (again, both in terms of our own people and those people we serve). One big realization is that the way things were managed in the past generally were biased in favor of extroverts and biased against introverts, as those descriptors are defined by psychometric dynamics experts. A major push forward involves respecting the diversity of those within the group and therefore evening the playing field. Technology does help do that.

I had a boss who would email me for most communications, even though we sat in adjacent offices! I suppose that for some instances a record of the communication is important, but most of it was just a habit of not talking directly to people.

igraf

We have eliminated Voice mail at work, no one uses it and it's a cost to maintain and manage.

Only my 84 yr old mother leaves me voice mail at home. Any one else would simply text me.

Texting is extremely poor communication. 90% of it should not happen...way too many misunderstanding.

I actually instructed my carrier (T-Mobile) many years ago to block texting on my contract. They can do this. My friends all know that if any one of them has something to say to me they have to say it. Perhaps I'm just old, but I can't comprehend the current culture's thinking that texting is superior to talking. It definitely takes longer to convey the same information and is unquestionably dangerous when driving...or even just walking.

I actually instructed my carrier (T-Mobile) many years ago to block texting on my contract. They can do this. My friends all know that if any one of them has something to say to me they have to say it. Perhaps I'm just old, but I can't comprehend the current culture's thinking that texting is superior to talking. It definitely takes longer to convey the same information and is unquestionably dangerous when driving...or even just walking.

I don't drive. But besides the obvious no texting while driving, texting is the best way to communicate quick thoughts and vm type messages for sure. If someone calls and tells me something -an address, a date/time to meet whatever. I say - just text it to me. Then i have it with me on my phone, not scribbled on a scrap of paper.

I also have full conversations with my friends via text - you have to think about what you're saying, you can get your thoughts down clearly, you can pause when you need to, you're not forced to respond immediately like on a call. It's just less intrusive and you can control the conversation better.

We have eliminated Voice mail at work, no one uses it and it's a cost to maintain and manage.

Only my 84 yr old mother leaves me voice mail at home. Any one else would simply text me.

What the heck do you have as a voice platform? I haven't seen voice mail as an added cost since the 1990s and I work in telecommunications.

Since VM is generally provisioned with the line, you almost have to do extra work to NOT use it.

Also, what's the cost to "manage" your voice mail?

What do you do outside of normal business hours? "Thanks for calling, but we're not here now and you're out of luck." "Sorry we missed your call, but not nearly as sorry as you'll be, 'cuz we're not allowing you to leave a message. Because of the maintenance and management costs."

Any chance you work for the government? ;)

Texting is extremely poor communication. 90% of it should not happen...
Nonsense. Instant messages, TXTs, SMS messages, toasts, etc., are not only fine communication but are currently the very best available communication for a number of circumstances. The key aspect that messaging adds, the all previous forms of communication have failed to satisfy, is the ability for messages to be delivered directly when the recipient is receptive and held until later when the recipient is busy or not available.

As with everything in life, there are proper tools and improper tools. If you try to use a phone call when you should be using a TXT, you're making as much of a mistake as trying to use TXT when you should be using the telephone.

...way too many misunderstanding.
Misunderstanding happens in all forms of communication, in my experience roughly in proportion to have much care and attention the sender pays to the activity. As a matter of fact, some of the worst examples of messaging that I've seen were from people who bad-mouth messaging, seemingly a reflection of their own disrespect for the medium (and implicitly the recipient).

[quotIe=Tura Lura;52535075]I don't drive. But besides the obvious no texting while driving, texting is the best way to communicate quick thoughts and vm type messages for sure. If someone calls and tells me something -an address, a date/time to meet whatever. I say - just text it to me. Then i have it with me on my phone, not scribbled on a scrap of paper.

I also have full conversations with my friends via text - you have to think about what you're saying, you can get your thoughts down clearly, you can pause when you need to, you're not forced to respond immediately like on a call. It's just less intrusive and you can control the conversation better.

I agree. I use a mix of text and phone calls. Very convenient for a quick question or answer. How could that be a bad thing? Also means communication with grandchildren happens!

What the heck do you have as a voice platform? I haven't seen voice mail as an added cost since the 1990s and I work in telecommunications.

Since VM is generally provisioned with the line, you almost have to do extra work to NOT use it.

Also, what's the cost to "manage" your voice mail?

What do you do outside of normal business hours? "Thanks for calling, but we're not here now and you're out of luck." "Sorry we missed your call, but not nearly as sorry as you'll be, 'cuz we're not allowing you to leave a message. Because of the maintenance and management costs."

Any chance you work for the government? ;)

I work for a global bank. All lines are VOIP. There is a cost for administration of VM boxes as well as the cost associated with calls to help desk etc since no one knows their password.

VM was eliminated for everyone in corporate, with few exceptions. You want to contact someone, you email them.

OK-I'm with the OP here.and I would like to know this also. I have a family,and since we'll be doing various different things,meeting up at the proper times is going to be a challenge,unless we have a simple way to text,or some such thing. I think the question got lost here among all the 'answers'..... is there no free option to do this on HAL? specifically for me, the Oosterdam? And if threr'es no free option,what options are there? just onboard wifi,which I prefer to not have? For those who hate texting etc, ok...and I'm still familiar with notes etc- but texting a meetup time and place is extremely convenient and useful. I'm actually a little surprised at the responses here to what I thought was a simple question.....

OK-I'm with the OP here.and I would like to know this also. I have a family,and since we'll be doing various different things,meeting up at the proper times is going to be a challenge,unless we have a simple way to text,or some such thing. I think the question got lost here among all the 'answers'..... is there no free option to do this on HAL? specifically for me, the Oosterdam?
The only free option I've seen discussed is the one that relies on these LAN Messenger apps, which theoretically should be able to establish peer-to-peer messaging through the cruise line's guest LAN, at the level of service that they offer for free (the level of service that you use to access their Navigator website aboard ship).

I haven't seen any posts saying that one specific app worked on any specific ship - but I might have missed such a post (or forgot that I saw it, given how crazy things are at work and church these days).

And if threr'es no free option,what options are there? just onboard wifi,which I prefer to not have?
With the paid level of on-board wifi, there are options that we can rest assured will work, such as Facebook Messenger.

I'm actually a little surprised at the responses here to what I thought was a simple question.....
There are no simple questions. :)

OK-I'm with the OP here.and I would like to know this also. I have a family,and since we'll be doing various different things,meeting up at the proper times is going to be a challenge,unless we have a simple way to text,or some such thing. I think the question got lost here among all the 'answers'..... is there no free option to do this on HAL? specifically for me, the Oosterdam? And if threr'es no free option,what options are there? just onboard wifi,which I prefer to not have? For those who hate texting etc, ok...and I'm still familiar with notes etc- but texting a meetup time and place is extremely convenient and useful. I'm actually a little surprised at the responses here to what I thought was a simple question.....

Yes, it worked for me for free. I posted about it on post #50. The app you use will depend on your phone type. I have an iPhone and it worked for me. I was able to text and phone my friend through the app (on board) for FREE.

Yes there is an app that you can use on the boat for FREE messages. Load the app "Cruise Ship Messenger" before you get on the boat (requires wi-fi to load) so you won't have to pay. If you wait till you're on the boat you'll have the pay the Wi-fi fees but only to load it. Once you have the APP put in your friend/family's IP addresses and you're all set. You can call or text for free thru that app when you're on the (free) ship network. This only works for people on the boat with you. It was fabulous during my trip in January.

I can't believe they don't talk about this more on the HAL boards!

Ok thanks for the detailed info! I'm going to try and do this, not sure about figuring out the ip addresses but I have some time ........ I found the app itself at least

I guess I'm a little confused. In my experience when you connect to a network for the first time it assigns you an IP address via DHCP but that IP address is only leased and the lease could expire in an arbitrarily short period of time, perhaps you'll be assigned a new IP address every time you are Out Of Reach of the network and then come back within reach of the network. Does anyone know how long the lease is for aboard ship?

Idle nerd musing: Maybe they've made it really smart and change it for each voyage so that the lease is good for roughly the length of the voyage. However that would mean that they would need enough IP addresses for allocation for passenger devices for two cruises since the leases​ for those disembarking wouldn't have expired when those embarking first connect to the network. That's actually pretty easy now that I think about it. Just apply a different subnet mask then we usually see in smaller Networks.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

We're about to depart on a cruise and I'll let you know if the IP assignment is static or dynamic.

Super!

For folks curious how to do this, on Windows you'd enter ipconfig/all in a command window and look for "Lease expires". I'm not sure how to do it on a tablet or phone. I guess you would need an app.

The IP addresses assigned to your device by the ship's network is dynamic and assigned by DHCP. Otherwise, everyone would have to know how to set their addresses, gateways, and DNS servers. Also, you'd need to know what address was assigned to you.

The leases are relatively short, 3600 seconds (1 hour) if I recall correctly. As long as you are connected and have an active session, the lease will renew. You'll get the IP address whether or not you are connected to the paid Internet. So if you connect to the free intranet, you'll have an IP address.

Most of your LAN messenger / IP messenger software does a broadcast and receive of all the nodes (client devices) to keep the master directory updated. Almost all run on UDP ports. There are several packages that will run on iOS, Android, Windows, Mac OS, and even Linux.

Search for IP Messenger or LAN Messenger to find the programs.

There's also software that will create a mesh network between devices running it. You don't have to connect to the ship's network at all, since the app builds an ad hoc peer to peer network of its own. Range can be up to 200 meters between nodes, but since the ship has lots of metal, it's going to be less. The more devices on the mesh network, the better your coverage.

And finally there are a bunch of messaging apps that use Bluetooth. The range is not nearly as long as WiFi, but if you like to text people who are 30 feet away or so, they'll work.

I don't have any specific recommendations, because despite knowing all the technical stuff, we manage to keep in touch with our travel companions using old timey methods: post it notes, messages on the room phones, and get this - making appointments! "Let's meet in the Crow's Nest at four o'clock. We'll be at the bar."

Whatever you decide to use, try it out at home first. And remember, you can put your phone into airplane mode to turn off the cellular network, and then manually turn on WiFi.