West Bay - West End?

cruisergrandma

We were on Rotan about 10 years ago with our grandson. Our guide took us to a beach area and I am not sure of the name of the area. I think it was West Bay or West End and I can't find out the difference between the two. It was a peaceful area with dirt roads, small shops and lots of dive shops. It was right along the beach. We just walked around, shopped and had a soft drink at one of the little stands on the beach. Can anyone tell me the correct name of this area? We are returning with our granddaughters in April and would love to go there with them. The guide we used then is no longer around so we can't check there. We do not want to go to a resort and there were none in this area. Thanks!

We were on Rotan about 10 years ago with our grandson. Our guide took us to a beach area and I am not sure of the name of the area. I think it was West Bay or West End and I can't find out the difference between the two. It was a peaceful area with dirt roads, small shops and lots of dive shops. It was right along the beach. We just walked around, shopped and had a soft drink at one of the little stands on the beach. Can anyone tell me the correct name of this area? We are returning with our granddaughters in April and would love to go there with them. The guide we used then is no longer around so we can't check there. We do not want to go to a resort and there were none in this area. Thanks!

If there was a sand road between the sea and the shops in was the village of West End. West End has Half Moon Bay Beach but mostly piers with heaps of boats coming and going.

If you have not seen West Bay, it maybe worth while to have a look. If you hire a private driver he could drop you in West End you could have a wander about, then take a water taxi to West Bay, have look around, maybe some food then have your driver collect you.

West End has changed some in 10 years, the road is no loner dirt. :0)

I can just imagine how many changes have taken place in 10 years! Is West End still as quaint and charming as it used to be? Are there still little shops?

So West Bay is more of a resort area?

Yes, West End still has shops. As quaint as it used to be? hard to say, seems a matter of perception.

West Bay is the premiere beach in the island, it is indeed more about accommodation than shopping.

Shopping is not the main concern. We just enjoyed a bit more of the local experience there and prefer that to a resort area.

LOL, Local meaning expats, expats from all over the world.. sure I understand the appeal of West End, I have stayed in West End several times.

I only offered West Bay because it truly is a beautiful beach and think everyone should see it. :0)

Enjoy the island!

We are doing just that. We have a private guide, going to go see the Sloths & Monkeys, then head to West End to wander around, do a little trinket shopping, have a few drinks, maybe some food. Then take the water taxi to West Bay, do a little snorkeling, swim a bit, then back on our little tour with our guide.

We are doing just that. We have a private guide, going to go see the Sloths & Monkeys, then head to West End to wander around, do a little trinket shopping, have a few drinks, maybe some food. Then take the water taxi to West Bay, do a little snorkeling, swim a bit, then back on our little tour with our guide.

A fabulous day you have planned!!!

Enjoy the island

Mrsfuzzmo-I love your itinerary! Who did you book through?

Rony's Tours. $25 pp for four of us. It's pretty much "free form". We can request anyplace we want to go and wing it once we are there. Nothing but awesome reviews and really looking forward to it. They have been wonderful to work with via e-mail. Quick to answer. Don't pay till the tours over, etc. Well worth the price for the day. An island tour through the ship would be $69 pp minimum. We have the freedom and flexibility to go where we want and spend as much time at each place as we like....plus our guide can help with where to eat, what to do, etc!

Rony's Tours. $25 pp for four of us. It's pretty much "free form". We can request anyplace we want to go and wing it once we are there. Nothing but awesome reviews and really looking forward to it. They have been wonderful to work with via e-mail. Quick to answer. Don't pay till the tours over, etc. Well worth the price for the day. An island tour through the ship would be $69 pp minimum. We have the freedom and flexibility to go where we want and spend as much time at each place as we like....plus our guide can help with where to eat, what to do, etc!

How did you get it for $25 pp? Just contacted Tony's and was advised it would be $40 pp. Just want to head to West End and then West Bay. Would love to pay what you did. Thanks!

How did you get it for $25 pp? Just contacted Tony's and was advised it would be $40 pp. Just want to head to West End and then West Bay. Would love to pay what you did. Thanks!

Price drops with increasing number of passengers. $40 is the going rate with all operators if there are only two of you? Still usually the best option to have the flexability of having a driver for the day.

Price drops with increasing number of passengers. $40 is the going rate with all operators if there are only two of you? Still usually the best option to have the flexability of having a driver for the day.

Definitely the best option. My friend and I did a private tour with Tex from Victor Bodden's. 40.00 each for all day and we could pick and choose what we wanted to do. One of the best tours at the best price ever. :):):)

Sounds good, I think we will go ahead and book with Victor. I appreciate all the good info. Only been to Roatan once which was 6 yrs ago. Did a bus tour which was fun, but we only had like 30 minutes at West Bay Beach. Remember telling myself if I ever return, would like to spend the whole afternoon there.

How long is the ride by water taxi between West End and West Bay, and what is the cost? Also, we are doing freestyle tour with Rony. Is it possible to do the water taxi and have our driver meet us at the other end?

How long is the ride by water taxi between West End and West Bay, and what is the cost? Also, we are doing freestyle tour with Rony. Is it possible to do the water taxi and have our driver meet us at the other end?

From post #2 ~ If you have not seen West Bay, it maybe worth while to have a look. If you hire a private driver he could drop you in West End you could have a wander about, then take a water taxi to West Bay, have look around, snorkle, maybe some food then have your driver collect you.

The water taxi is maybe 5 mins, the cost is $3 a person.

Enjoy the island.

Yes West End is a funky, laid back bay with dive shops and other places. Not as funky as it once was I'm sure but we like it there. Would recommend taking the $4, 10 min water taxi over to West Bay from there and explore that beach. Nice ride along the coast, you just have to step up a bit to get out of the boat and onto the pier. The Thirsty Turtle at the Bananarama resort is a good place for lunch if not too busy. We had our private driver drop us at WE and meet is in WB for the ride back to port.