World Cruise 1938

Not Regent but thought it would be fun to compare it against the upcoming Navigator WC 80 years later. Came across this while skimming through a National Geographic from October 1937. Fares started at $1,900 which I estimate is around $32-33k in today's money. Not a bad price, but I'm guessing it was a somewhat different experience!

8964e3d14f13a5cb41a40b40057d8570.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A sample menu from the period of the 1938 world cruise menu looks good:

http://archives.govt.nz/gallery/v/Walter+Nash+Exhibition/Social+Pages/Food+and+Fashion/Food/SS+Reliance+Menu/

I presume this was for First Class passengers

Extracts from: Shipping Magazine, Volume 15, 25 January 1922 (Regarding Reliance and her sister ship):

They are oil burning steamers of 17.5 knots speed. They are propelled by triple screws, two of which are driven by reciprocating engines and one by a turbine. Their length over-all is approximately 600 feet, breadth 72 feet and depth 40 feet.

Each boat has a swimming pool, fully equipped gymnasium, men and ladies' hairdressing and manicure parlors, a special room for the children, botanical garden, photographic dark-room, passenger elevators. etc. The cabins are unusually commodious, first-class staterooms being provided with beds instead of berths, porcelain washstands with running water, wardrobes, dressing tables and writing desks.

..........the second and third-class quarters on these ships will be extensively remodelled, prior to the initial sailing in April. Unsurpassed accommodations in these classes is the aim of the Line..............The second cabin on both steamers will be improved by the addition of thirty rooms and a large social hall. The social hall is in addition to the dining room, ladies' parlor and smoking room, and is a comfort and convenience hither to unknown to second-class passengers.............The third-class quarters will be remodelled ........This space will be converted into rooms for two and four passengers; commodious dining rooms, ladies' rooms and smoking rooms will be provided.

Nice to see that typos aren't a new problem - on the fifth image, they had the 'Fish' and 'Eggs' entries flip-flopped. It was interesting to see how menus have changed in the last 80 years.

I'd love to see the pricing for the upper class berths - I wonder how they'd compare to today's fares.

Well, I have found my free (sorry included) air to go with this cruise:

Warning: There is some political incorrectness in this early film

That'd be a heck of a pre-cruise...AA was only American Airways from 1930-1934 and this World Cruise didn't sail until 1938. You'd have been sitting around for a while before you sailed . :-)

Yeah, it is cool. And it's cool that my mother was born right around the time that ad ran and I'm taking her on her first cruise almost 80 years later.

Would be interesting to know more about that cruise - fares for 1st class, breakdown of passengers, number and nationality of crew (I'm guessing mostly German), etc...