Transition to casual areas after 6pm

Velvetwater

Hi

I was on here 2 years ago asking about Cunard but we sailed X instead.

Anyway, we are back thinking about a QM2 crossing in the summer again (a 15 day round trip from Southampton to be precise).

Hubby is happy to wear a suit in evenings for dinner and drinks as I am happy to wear elegant maxi dresses with full formal attire for the given nights of course.

As we are both 30ish we do like to swim in later in day (after 5pm) and a gentle, casual lunch in a buffet some evenings. We are worried about what to do when going from our cabin to the pool or to the buffet and what to wear. It seems silly to dress up to strip off when we get there (we wouldn't be wearing robes but would be in casual wear). I am also worried if we need to nip down to guest services for any reason...do we have to dress up just to sort a query? We also like to hang out watching the ocean on open decks and it gets a bit windy so we would prefer to be a little bit more casual there too. Please bear in mind our casual would be hubby in black smart jeans and a linen shirt and I would be a in a maxi skirt and top/jersey dress....we don't really do shorts and sports wear.

It does say 'within the ship' the dress code is enforced so surely outside decks (not within) is more relaxed?

Read lots of posts on this subject but couldn't find much about this particular query.

We do like to dress up (velvet jackets and long flowing Gowns on Carnival to boot) but we do like gentle evenings too on holiday.

You need not fear being in casual clothes after 6pm. One often sees people in the buffet and bars dressed casually after 6.

The exception might be the parts of the Kings Court that are transformed to reservation only venues for dinner. Likewise wearing casual clothing to the purser or to the pool area will be fine.

If you are dining in one of the reservation venues, the Britannia Dining rooms or the Grills, you will, of course. want to be dressed appropriately.

Cunard is a bit more formal than most cruise lines, but not a stiffly rule driven environment by any means. Enjoy your travel.

First off. Jeans of any color are not allowed past 6PM so hubby will need to purchase some more upscale casual clothing for evening. This applies even in the cafeteria and side lounge and on the outside decks after 6 pm.

Hard to understand the need to seek the absolute bottom of the dress code by so many would be Cunard customers. Dressing up should be a joy not a chore and the better dressed the entire passenger consist is all day and evening the better the overall atmosphere.

Now having has my rant against sloppy attire, you will be able to enjoy the buffet and the lounge in casual (no jeans) attire. There are numerous doors from this area leading out to the promenade deck so no worry about having to dress up for a walk outside and the elevators that service the buffet area service all of the decks except deck 13 on the QM2 but one can walk through the spa to the buffet from that elevator bank without anyone getting upset and one can get to and from the pool and their cabin without entering the public rooms that require a better level of dress after 6 pm. So do come aboard, bring a few nice dresses for yourself and a pair of dress trousers, long sleeved shirts and ties and a jacket for hubby. For formal nights if that is beyond your comfort zone of attire, then stay in the buffet and side lounge. No theater, dancing etc. on those nights if not properly attired per the Cunard code.

Hi Velvetwater: Having just returned from a cruise on Queen Elizabeth and having asked the exact same question here is my answer.

Go and enjoy the pool or whatever you want to do after 6pm - you will be 100% fine out on the deck. When time to go back to your cabin simply wear a cover up of some kind, obviously don't walk back to your cabin in your swimwear. We had absolutely no trouble at all after 6 pm and noticed many people returning to their cabin much later. In the areas where you can dress more casually (buffet and outside bar) people had all sorts of clothing on up until about 7 or 8 pm. We actually were having a meal there in our shorts without realising the witching hour had struck 6pm... it was in fact much later. We discretely left and got changed for walking around the ship later on.

Thanks for the replies.

Just wanted to clarify Lakes we would not be spending all evenings wanting to be casual, and we certainly have enough attire for the evenings (I am likely to buy more). Its just that on holidays (esp cruises) you sometimes get those evenings where you just want a gentle swim, a walk on deck and a few beers/wines with a light meal...nothing to formal or fancy....usually in some sandals and loose trousers. Some of the really upscale resorts have a casual evening code for this reason. Although hopefully our table mates will not be offended if we do not arrive for dinner as we usually do anytime dining.

We would cover up after the pool of course...no-one wants slippery bikini bodies and sopping hair in the lifts and whatnot. :)

If sailing Britannia Class you can't have anytime dining unless you use the buffet. That actually suited us fine - the tables were lovely, the view was great (usually got a window seat) and the food was fantastic. You will fit right in with what you want to wear so don't worry.

First off. Jeans of any color are not allowed past 6PM so hubby will need to purchase some more upscale casual clothing for evening. This applies even in the cafeteria and side lounge and on the outside decks after 6 pm.

Hard to understand the need to seek the absolute bottom of the dress code by so many would be Cunard customers. Dressing up should be a joy not a chore and the better dressed the entire passenger consist is all day and evening the better the overall atmosphere.

Now having has my rant against sloppy attire, you will be able to enjoy the buffet and the lounge in casual (no jeans) attire. There are numerous doors from this area leading out to the promenade deck so no worry about having to dress up for a walk outside and the elevators that service the buffet area service all of the decks except deck 13 on the QM2 but one can walk through the spa to the buffet from that elevator bank without anyone getting upset and one can get to and from the pool and their cabin without entering the public rooms that require a better level of dress after 6 pm. So do come aboard, bring a few nice dresses for yourself and a pair of dress trousers, long sleeved shirts and ties and a jacket for hubby. For formal nights if that is beyond your comfort zone of attire, then stay in the buffet and side lounge. No theater, dancing etc. on those nights if not properly attired per the Cunard code.

My understanding of the dress code is that jeans are permitted in Kings Court at any time of the day or night, and also in the Carinthia Lounge.

My understanding of the dress code is that jeans are permitted in Kings Court at any time of the day or night, and also in the Carinthia Lounge.

Apparently not but I have no idea why. This is from the Q&A on Cunard's website.

"Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests."

We didn't notice jeans after 6pm but certainly did notice lots of very casual looking pants that were way more scruffy than a nice pair of dressy blue jeans.

Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to clarify Lakes we would not be spending all evenings wanting to be casual, and we certainly have enough attire for the evenings (I am likely to buy more). Its just that on holidays (esp cruises) you sometimes get those evenings where you just want a gentle swim, a walk on deck and a few beers/wines with a light meal...nothing to formal or fancy....usually in some sandals and loose trousers. Some of the really upscale resorts have a casual evening code for this reason. Although hopefully our table mates will not be offended if we do not arrive for dinner as we usually do anytime dining. We would cover up after the pool of course...no-one wants slippery bikini bodies and sopping hair in the lifts and whatnot. :)
Hi Velvetwater,

I assure you that you won't be the only couple who decide to have a relaxing and less regimented approach to an evening spent on board :) , many people prefer variety, rather than every night spent doing the same as last night, at the same time.

The line I've highlighted; I'm sure you would do this, but it is polite to let your table-mates and steward know at dinner that you won't be attending the following evening, so they don't wait for your arrival before ordering. Sometimes the stewards are reluctant to take orders until all the table is seated, unless they are informed not to expect you.

Have the most wonderful time on board :)

We nearly always have a swim in the pool after 5.30 when the first sitting people have all gone to dress and the pool area is nice and quiet. In summer I just slip a full length beach dress over my costume, my husband goes for some shorts and a short sleeved shirt, and walk along the deck to the lifts nearest our cabin and descend in the lift. In less warm times we will usually put on a bathrobe, sneak into the nearest lift to the pool, go to our deck and walk along the corridor to our cabin. We have never had a problem and it is the perfect time to swim.

I should point out we have not yet travelled on QM2 but we have done many cruises on both QE and QV.

Hi Velvetwater,

The line I've highlighted; I'm sure you would do this, but it is polite to let your table-mates and steward know at dinner that you won't be attending the following evening, so they don't wait for your arrival before ordering. Sometimes the stewards are reluctant to take orders until all the table is seated, unless they are informed not to expect you

You do not have to let your tablemates or waiters know you will not be dining the following evening. If you know you won't be there the following evening, fine. But if you decide during the day you won't be in the Britannia later on , there is no obligation to let anyone know. I've never known waiters to hang on until everyone is seated. If our tablemates don't turn up the waiter asks if we know if they are coming or not, we say don't know and he carries on taking the orders.

You do not have to let your tablemates or waiters know you will not be dining the following evening. If you know you won't be there the following evening, fine. But if you decide during the day you won't be in the Britannia later on , there is no obligation to let anyone know. I've never known waiters to hang on until everyone is seated. If our tablemates don't turn up the waiter asks if we know if they are coming or not, we say don't know and he carries on taking the orders.

You are quite correct that you do not have to let any one know that you are not having Dinner,

However I was brought up to be courteous and polite, so I let my fellow table mates or waiter know I will not be eating at the table, so that they do not hang around waiting for us.

Its very unfair on the waiting staff to expect them to keep running from the restaurant to table with everyones different courses. That is why you will notice them waiting. When other table mates order more than one starter, the waiting staff will always serve all the table their main course together then the pudding .

Edited by Pennbank

So how do you tell them when you have only decided earlier in the day?

You go down to the Restaurant just before serving, there is always someone from your station setting up the table. Or you may be lucky and see a table mate in one of the lounges. You can also pick up the telephone and speak to the maitre d and ask to get the message to your table.

To be courteous and well mannered sometimes one has to put up with a little inconvenience.

Apparently not but I have no idea why. This is from the Q&A on Cunard's website.

"Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests."

We didn't notice jeans after 6pm but certainly did notice lots of very casual looking pants that were way more scruffy than a nice pair of dressy blue jeans.

Scottygirl, thanks for the correction.

Edited to add:

BTW, I guess most knew about this, but it's news to me: G32 is one of the areas on QM2 where formal attire is not required on Formal nights, according to https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/enforced_dresscode

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

First off. Jeans of any color are not allowed past 6PM so hubby will need to purchase some more upscale casual clothing for evening.

I have to say that's rubbish.

You can wear what you like wondering round the ship after 6PM. So if you want to go for a swim, use the spa, walk round the deck, or whatever, do not think for one minute you have to dress formally just to walk around the decks and corridors.

So after 6 you will see people both dressed for dinner and in their normal daytime attire in equal measures. People eating on the late MDR sitting will not be in Black Tie at the stroke of 6.

As long as the jeans [trousers] aren't of the trad Levi's variety/ blue denim or are 'savaged' then I see no reason why they can't be worn around the ship.

I have yet to be turned away from any Cunard restaurant on an informal [jacket required] evening wearing my white fine cotton [denim] very well cut trousers when paired with a beautiful longline silk top.

One of the most sophisticatedly dressed chaps I have ever seen in the restaurant wore black trousers, which had my denim antenna twitching but the fabric of which I couldn't verify without close inspection [and that might have annoyed his equally beautifully dressed companion] paired with a crisp white shirt and superb jacket. A veritable walking Armani clothes horse. Drop. Dead. Elegant.

Not a look many can carry off but if you can then that's well within the informal dress code, in my opinion/experience.

You go down to the Restaurant just before serving, there is always someone from your station setting up the table. Or you may be lucky and see a table mate in one of the lounges. You can also pick up the telephone and speak to the maitre d and ask to get the message to your table.

To be courteous and well mannered sometimes one has to put up with a little inconvenience.

I'm on holiday, I'm not going to run around like that. None of my table mates over the years have done that either and I don' think any less of them.

We have let our table compaions know if we aren't going to be there for dinner as we usually decide in advance. When it's happened the other way round our sharers have contacted the restaurant staff.

We only had this once on the QM2. The other couple (a table for 4) did not arrive one evening (the weather was very bad, lots of people were not in the dinning room). The waiter just said he would just wait a bit but after 15 minutes he took our order. The thing that worried us the most was that we thought we had upset them in some way, but it turned out they were both too ill ! We could not have upset them that much as since then we have been on another cruise together !

Scottygirl, thanks for the correction.

Edited to add:

BTW, I guess most knew about this, but it's news to me: G32 is one of the areas on QM2 where formal attire is not required on Formal nights, according to https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/enforced_dresscode

Salacia

That's something l did not know and is almost certainly a recent change. As a user of the FAQ either for my own purposes or for occasionally answering questions on Cruise Critic, l hadn't noticed this update. It would interesting to know if the onboard daily programme is now stating this additional concession to the formal dress requirements.

M-AR

Edited by Mid-Atlantic Ridge
Spelling mistake

I'm on holiday, I'm not going to run around like that. None of my table mates over the years have done that either and I don' think any less of them.

Full Marks to the Cunard system for table pairing then.

That's something l did not know and is almost certainly a recent change. As a user of the FAQ either for my own purposes or for occasionally answering questions on Cruise Critic, l hadn't noticed this update. It would interesting to know if the onboard daily programme is now stating this additional concession to the formal dress requirements.

M-AR

We only sailed on QE last week and certainly didn't notice (on the daily programme) that casual dress was allowed in the Yacht Club area during the evening on formal night.