Changing cabin mates at check-in?

DW and I are going on an Alaska cruise this coming June. We have friends going with us that have never cruised before. DW and I are Emerald C&A members so we qualify for a balcony discount. We wanted to share the discount with our friends so we booked the men in one cabin and the women in another so that both cabins received the discount. Once we board the ship, the couples obviously will want to be together in their respective cabins. I know we can go to guest services and get extra "keys" to the cabins but we'd like to just put the correct people in the correct cabins so we don't have to carry two cards, one for I.D. and purchases, and the other for a room key. Can we make the changes at check-in so that we're all in the correct cabin from the start? We'll be arriving at the port together so we'll all the necessary paperwork and I.D.

No, you cannot make changes at check-in. You will have to make your arrangements at Guest Services.

Thanks Bob. That's what I was afraid of. Do you know if we'll be able to make complete changes or will we just be given extra keys to the rooms? We really don't want to have to carry two cards around.

We've always ended up with the extra key and seapass card being seperate.

FWIW, I've never found it all that inconvient to carry 2 little plastic cards instead of just one. Anything that will hold one will hold a second, whether that be a pocket, lanyard or purse.

Thanks Bob. That's what I was afraid of. Do you know if we'll be able to make complete changes or will we just be given extra keys to the rooms? We really don't want to have to carry two cards around.

Depends on the ship, you won't know for sure until you talk to GS.

They will let you switch cabins once aboard as Bob mentioned by going to Guest Services. We did this last March on the Freedom. A few warnings - Guest "Services" Royally screwed this up. We were told we could do it as soon as we boarded, but after waiting an hour in line at Guest Services, they said to come back in another hour AFTER they had set sail since they could not change it until that time (although we were told by many other RCCL employees, that is not the case). Coming back after setting sail totally messed up dinner reservations for that evening (will not go into great details but basically, they cancelled ALL our dinner reservations when they switched cabins without telling us).

Next issue, my 7 year old daughter kept getting alcohol charges to her folio (turned out it was the adult who had moved to another cabin who somehow kept charging all week to my 7 year old's account). The adult who moved to another cabin was charged all week for purchased made by another individual 4 cabins down from them who happened to have the same first name as them (Guest Services had wrongly moved THAT person to another cabin even though we did not know them).

Long story short - Guest "Services" on that ship were a nightmare and caused LOTS of grief. Lesson learned. In future, if we decide to do this to help someone out (like you are doing), then we leave them on the original folio and ask for the extra room keys. Good luck with what you decide.

As said, you can t make the change at check in...but you CAN at Guest Services! You certainly CAN change to the correct occupants...you just have to board the ship, and go to Guest Service counter. It's not a big deal...people do it ALL the time. Get the right keys and the right accounts. Not a big deal.

DW and I are going on an Alaska cruise this coming June. We have friends going with us that have never cruised before. DW and I are Emerald C&A members so we qualify for a balcony discount. We wanted to share the discount with our friends so we booked the men in one cabin and the women in another so that both cabins received the discount. Once we board the ship, the couples obviously will want to be together in their respective cabins. I know we can go to guest services and get extra "keys" to the cabins but we'd like to just put the correct people in the correct cabins so we don't have to carry two cards, one for I.D. and purchases, and the other for a room key. Can we make the changes at check-in so that we're all in the correct cabin from the start? We'll be arriving at the port together so we'll all the necessary paperwork and I.D.

Few just did this and it turned out fine you only carry the key to your room don't need two keys