Is OBC really a credit if you don't get it???

Just got off Epic this morning 3/8/17. It was my 28th cruise on 6 cruise lines so I know a little about OBC and making sure it's on my statement. On day 2 I informed guest services that my OBC was not on my account. On day 3 I provided guest services with my NCL paperwork issued by NCL showing the OBC was promised by NCL. As you might have guessed I never got my OBC. I'll stick to my 5 other cruise lines from now on. They treat me better.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I was on the Epic in Nov., I was missing $100 obc from my TA. Even though I had a card that NCL left in our cabin stating that the TA had given us $100 obc. Guest services kept saying sorry, we don't have record of it even though I was showing them proof. Finally, I had a supervisor call my TA and I did get my obc.

I would not have left the ship without my obc.

I spoke with guest services twice. The second time I showed them my NCL paperwork and guest services agreed I had OBC and scanned/emailed it to NCL. They said that's all they could do. Worst customer service I ever experienced on 28 cruises with 6 cruise lines.

Fwiw I usually get my obc from my Ta

I've learned to do a couple of things....from experience of course...lol

1. Bring all the documentation

2. Always confirm with the ta about the obc about 72 hours before the cruise so that he makes sure the correct "button"😎 has been pressed by his office. Lol

3. Speak to guest services and make an appointment to return the following night to confirm the obc is there and to confirm they called whoever they needed to to get that obc on my account...get their name and confirm what time they go on duty the next day

4. If by day 3 of the cruise the obc is not there or guest services is acting like jerks...this is what you do....

A. You ask for the form to reduce dsc and tell them you are reducing it by the obc and you will be noting that in the remarks section when filing that form....because you are NOT getting good service from Ncl staff...that's why...and don't kid yourself obc is supposedly shared by more than just stewards and wait staff and since Ncl is not transparent about who gets obc....then the pax should assume guest services shares in it....you know the ones who DID NOT provide good service to you.

B. You ask for a few comment cards also because you would like to fill those out too and then make sure you confirm their names with them

You will then miraculously see the obc on your account

Fortunately I've never needed to go past step 3 but my point is you play hardball....especially when they aren't working with you to solve the issue

I spoke with guest services twice. The second time I showed them my NCL paperwork and guest services agreed I had OBC and scanned/emailed it to NCL. They said that's all they could do. Worst customer service I ever experienced on 28 cruises with 6 cruise lines.

You have 30 days from the end of your cruise to reduce dsc

When I was on the Epic in Nov., I was missing $100 obc from my TA. Even though I had a card that NCL left in our cabin stating that the TA had given us $100 obc. Guest services kept saying sorry, we don't have record of it even though I was showing them proof. Finally, I had a supervisor call my TA and I did get my obc.

I would not have left the ship without my obc.

I had to do this once as well

4. If by day 3 of the cruise the obc is not there or guest services is acting like jerks...this is what you do....

A. You ask for the form to reduce dsc and tell them you are reducing it by the obc and you will be noting that in the remarks section when filing that form.

B. You ask for a few comment cards also because you would like to fill those out too and then make sure you confirm their names with them

You will then miraculously see the obc on your account

I'm not normally a "reduce the DSC" kind of guy, but given that the proper documentation was presented and having given guest services ample opportunity to fix it, I have to say, I agree with the above.

$25 isn't much, but the principle of the matter sure is. Why wouldn't they simply honor the document shown above? Does GS really believe that people are forging documents to get $25 in OBC?

If I had to screw around with this onboard for more than one visit to GS, I would wipe out the DSC completely.

Totally absurd on NCL's part.

The documentation itself is not sufficient, because as you can see the order date for the OBC is 11 months before the cruise. I don't know when the OP received this confirmation, unfortunately NCL does not date this document. When you ask at the front desk, they have to check with Miami to make sure that no changes were made to the booking in the meantime that might have caused the OBC to disappear. They usually say they'll let you know the answer in a day or two, but unless you keep after them insistently, you will probably never hear from them.

The documentation itself is not sufficient, because as you can see the order date for the OBC is 11 months before the cruise. I don't know when the OP received this confirmation, unfortunately NCL does not date this document. When you ask at the front desk, they have to check with Miami to make sure that no changes were made to the booking in the meantime that might have caused the OBC to disappear. They usually say they'll let you know the answer in a day or two, but unless you keep after them insistently, you will probably never hear from them.

So your suggesting that OP could have or would have cancelled a FREE (as in comp'd or promo'd) $25 OBC after the amenity confirmation document was received. Why? Why would anyone do that?

I refuse to believe that guest services can't look up a reservation instantly. But okay, lets say technology can keep TheDougOut posting live shots of his drinks all night... along with all the others constantly tweeting and posting and interneting and all of this, but somehow GS can't get a connection to the servers in Miami... fine. As impossible as that is to believe, fine. Even in this Bizarro World, the correct response from GS is "yes, sir, we can temporarily credit your account the $25 OBC now while we investigate the matter further." Anything else is crap service and deserves to have the DSC adjusted accordingly.

What does DSC stand for?

DSC = Daily Service Charge / Discretionary Service Charge

I would feel terrible penalizing the crew by reducing DSC due to NCL incompetence. The best way to penalize NCL is by taking my cruise business elsewhere and by telling my story to anybody that will listen and who might join my boycott of NCL. I feel like I gave NCL an opportunity to make things right so I will enjoy my Carnival cruise next week and my RCCL cruises in May on Empress to Cuba and in June on Oasis and will NOT give NCL any consideration when booking my 8 cruises per year.

ed9993ecb26e2c03dda951f363ecda3e.jpg

It appears you booked during the Dash Sale that occurred last April. Question..... at any time from when you booked did you change anything on the reservation? Cabin? Amenities when they changed to receiving two? Because if you changed anything that Dash Sale Ship Board Credit would have been removed. There was a time NCL having a Dash Sale every few weeks that no longer happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It appears you booked during the Dash Sale that occurred last April. Question..... at any time from when you booked did you change anything on the reservation? Cabin? Amenities when they changed to receiving two? Because if you changed anything that Dash Sale Ship Board Credit would have been removed. There was a time NCL having a Dash Sale every few weeks that no longer happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yes..it looks like you booked this cruise in April 2016 based on that order date. . if you made any changes to the booking like a price reduction, adding/removing people. NCL treats the booking as a cancel/re book and rebooks you using whatever sale/promo they have at that time making you lose all of the perks you had before. this is why you have to very careful with your TA/NCL reps because you can accidentally lose your perks.

What does DSC stand for? Sent from my iPad using Forums

Daily Service Charge. It is the $13.50 per day you are charged for gratuities to cabin steward, waiters, and a few behind the scenes crew.

Since Guest Services are salaried crew and do not share in the DSC I do not understand why anyone would reduce the DSC because of poor service from Guest Services. The reduction does not affect them at all.

I would feel terrible penalizing the crew by reducing DSC due to NCL incompetence. The best way to penalize NCL is by taking my cruise business elsewhere and by telling my story to anybody that will listen and who might join my boycott of NCL. I feel like I gave NCL an opportunity to make things right so I will enjoy my Carnival cruise next week and my RCCL cruises in May on Empress to Cuba and in June on Oasis and will NOT give NCL any consideration when booking my 8 cruises per year.

Incompetence is the exact reason that you would reduce dsc. Guest services are crew.

Daily Service Charge. It is the $13.50 per day you are charged for gratuities to cabin steward, waiters, and a few behind the scenes crew.

Since Guest Services are salaried crew and do not share in the DSC I do not understand why anyone would reduce the DSC because of poor service from Guest Services. The reduction does not affect them at all.

Trying to figure out who gets what from the DSC just isn't my problem. This is a service related issue that requires resolution.

If I know that OBC is supposed to be there, and GS keeps screwing around, making me come back over and over before ultimately denying me what's mine, then I'm gonna hit the DSC for what I'm owed, possibly more if they've pissed me off.

I cannot determine with any certainty what NCL does with the DSC making the discussion pointless. It doesn't matter where people on an internet forum say it goes.

I've never really advocated for DSC adjustment before, but in this circumstance an adjustment seems warranted, assuming facts are as presented, the OBC was supposed to be there and no changes were made to the booking which would drop the OBC.

Let NCL and the ship sort out the DSC. Not my problem.

For the OP, it's probably too late to do anything about this now. I believe the process of adjusting the DSC has to begin on the ship.

Only 28 cruises on 6 cruise lines? [emoji849]

That's only 4.6 cruises per line so you aren't really that special to them. I would not have left guest services until I had something on paper to show I had it. Then I would have spent it and deny the charges on my credit card if I didn't receive it.

28?

Icruisetoomuch... didn't know that was possible. Don't know how many we've been on, but it's never too much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk