Is P&O for us?

SquishTheWhale

I'm getting excited about your holiday lol - I have to wait until October for Britannia!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Haha well if I book it I will have even longer to wait! Although we are on the NCL Escape in October for our honeymoon. In a balcony, I didn't give him a choice about that one!!

One of my favourite memories was a very elderly couple complete with zimmer frames returning from an excursion in Kotor. Have no idea how long this couple had been together. I got choked up thinking that they were at such a great age and still going out there and enjoying their holiday together.

I'm getting married in 3 months. I can only hope that is us in 50 years time! :D

We've done several NCL cruises, last few years round the Med in January as P&O don't have that option then and we don't want long haul to the Caribbean. We also did Alaska with NCL in 2005. We've done several P&O cruises too. Main thing to bear in mind is that P&O are designed for Brits whereas NCL are definitely not, even in the Med where there are more Europeans than Americans. Also need to be aware that P&O still have formal nights which require DJ's for the men. Women can get away with short "posh" frocks now. On NCL you don't need any formal clothes, although most guests do smarten up in the evenings. We enjoy both cruise lines, depending on the itinerary. NCL has some great pricing on their Med cruises in January and February and flights to Barcelona/Rome etc are pretty cheap at that time of year if booked ahead- its cheaper than a week in Tenerife and more interesting!!

I'm getting married in 3 months. I can only hope that is us in 50 years time! :D

Hope the wedding, honeymoon and second honeymoon all go well! I like to order strawberries dipped in chocolate for the captains formal night, it costs about £6 I just phone before we sail and book - I have never managed to remember I've done it and am always surprised by them arriving! You get about 8, and they contain life's most important food group #chocolate [emoji16]

We've done several NCL cruises' date=' last few years round the Med in January as P&O don't have that option then and we don't want long haul to the Caribbean. We also did Alaska with NCL in 2005. We've done several P&O cruises too. Main thing to bear in mind is that P&O are designed for Brits whereas NCL are definitely not, even in the Med where there are more Europeans than Americans. Also need to be aware that P&O still have formal nights which require DJ's for the men. Women can get away with short "posh" frocks now. On NCL you don't need any formal clothes, although most guests do smarten up in the evenings. We enjoy both cruise lines, depending on the itinerary. NCL has some great pricing on their Med cruises in January and February and flights to Barcelona/Rome etc are pretty cheap at that time of year if booked ahead- its cheaper than a week in Tenerife and more interesting!![/quote']

Thank you! Very useful to hear from someone who does both. I think I can see the differences in the 'American-ness' and 'British-ness' in the lines! While I'm not someone who needs a very Brit centered holiday I can't see it being a negative- if only that p&o has way more reasonable tips and bar prices! I guess they know $18 cocktails don't fly with Brits haha. I'm also guessing P&O has none of the loud announcements all day about $10 flash jewellery sales etc.

I don't mind dressing up at all, although getting a suit and dress shoes for the hubby into the suitcase could be a challenge... my suitcase is usually rammed full even if we only take casual wear!

I know what you mean about NCL pricing in the med- our Epic cruise last Jan was £400 for 10 days round the canaries! Certainly cheaper than the week we did in Tenerife in September haha. I don't think I'll ever see a price like that again :(

Hope the wedding, honeymoon and second honeymoon all go well! I like to order strawberries dipped in chocolate for the captains formal night, it costs about £6 I just phone before we sail and book - I have never managed to remember I've done it and am always surprised by them arriving! You get about 8, and they contain life's most important food group #chocolate [emoji16]

Mmmm... although maybe I could dispense with the strawberries and go straight for the chocolate :D is chocolate night a thing on p&o? NCL kind of do it but only in that they have lots of chocolate desserte in the mdr.

Mmmm... although maybe I could dispense with the strawberries and go straight for the chocolate :D is chocolate night a thing on p&o? NCL kind of do it but only in that they have lots of chocolate desserte in the mdr.

On longer cruises they do a chocoholics event one afternoon, I never go to it as I can't eat egg so there is no point tormenting myself [emoji23] there is usually plenty of chocolate around though. I am very partial to ALDI 85% chocolate and take some with me to be on the safe side! The night time food on P&O isn't much good, usually sandwiches, pizza and chips. I don't mind too much as we are usually stuffed from dinner and if an attack of the munchies does ensue room service is good and most items free [emoji1360]

Did not intend to cause offence and apologies if I did. Its just that there was a significant number arrogant scooter users who had no consideration for other cruisers on my last trip. I am hoping there will be a better class of driver on P&O.:)

As a wheelchair user's carer I can agree with Dai on this issue, and there are certainly far more arrogant able bodied passengers, especially lift users, on most of the cruises we have been on.

Hi, just seen this. Sorry if a bit 'short' in the last post.

Are they arrogant or just elderly?

If they take advantage then I am with you ------ if they are elderly, then please understand them

https://www.dementiafriends.org.uk/

I really would like to know the advantage of pushing one's wife in a wheel chair, answers on a post card to the Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand show.

We are in our mid-50s and we have cruised with P&O, once in the summer holidays on Oceana when my stepsons were at school still. The age range was very wide. Second time was on the beautiful Oriana, adults only and an older age range. We enjoyed both equally. We've also cruised with Cunard, mixed age range we found. And Costa - huge age range and very exuberant!

We are going to the Caribbean next January (can't wait!) but with Thomson. We went with them to the Adriatic in July last year and had the best cruise we've had (out of about 10) so decided to go with them again The age range was a bit younger than Oriana and Cunard and the entertainment was excellent. The food was very very good and the service outstanding (but I've never had bad service).

I'd like to try NCL as well - I love that there is so much choice!

Hope all goes well for the wedding, congratulations!

Anyone sailed both lines and enjoy both?

Yes, I have sailed on both and enjoyed both.

NCL in comparison to P&O is younger, brasher, and far more casual, but weirdly much more formal in terms of organisation.

Even comparing ships like Ventura on a school holiday time sailing with NCL, the age profile on NCL is dramatically lower, let alone a ship like Oriana where the average age range seems to be 70+.

Foodwise (if you are comparing the MDRs and buffets) - I think that P&O is better than NCL, although it can be a bit 1980's with the menus. And don't get me started on Americans and their belief how queues should operate in the buffet.

Evening entertainment - I found it really odd on NCL to have to book seats for the theatre and for the other musical acts that everybody is there sat down for the 30 minute show, whereas on P&O it seems much more free-form and people turn up for the theatre if they want, or come and go from the musical shows whenever they feel like it.

Daytime entertainment - "games of bridge and deck bowls" - you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Drinks - Comparing menu prices they are an awful lot cheaper on P&O, but then does anyone actually pay the menu price on NCL as these days they seem to be running a permanent free drinks promotion.

Dress - P&O on formal evenings 98%+ of men will be in a DJ, the casual evenings most people reasonably smart. NCL - anything goes; on the same evening I saw a couple in a DJ and posh frock sat next to a guy in ripped denim shorts, T-shirt, and baseball cap in the 'pay extra' steak restaurant.

Will you enjoy P&O. Can't see why not.

Yes, I have sailed on both and enjoyed both.

NCL in comparison to P&O is younger, brasher, and far more casual, but weirdly much more formal in terms of organisation.

Even comparing ships like Ventura on a school holiday time sailing with NCL, the age profile on NCL is dramatically lower, let alone a ship like Oriana where the average age range seems to be 70+.

Foodwise (if you are comparing the MDRs and buffets) - I think that P&O is better than NCL, although it can be a bit 1980's with the menus. And don't get me started on Americans and their belief how queues should operate in the buffet.

Evening entertainment - I found it really odd on NCL to have to book seats for the theatre and for the other musical acts that everybody is there sat down for the 30 minute show, whereas on P&O it seems much more free-form and people turn up for the theatre if they want, or come and go from the musical shows whenever they feel like it.

Daytime entertainment - "games of bridge and deck bowls" - you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Drinks - Comparing menu prices they are an awful lot cheaper on P&O, but then does anyone actually pay the menu price on NCL as these days they seem to be running a permanent free drinks promotion.

Dress - P&O on formal evenings 98%+ of men will be in a DJ, the casual evenings most people reasonably smart. NCL - anything goes; on the same evening I saw a couple in a DJ and posh frock sat next to a guy in ripped denim shorts, T-shirt, and baseball cap in the 'pay extra' steak restaurant.

Will you enjoy P&O. Can't see why not.

I'm laughing at the buffet thing- there is a thread about queuing on the Royal boards right now and the Americans do seem to hold some rather odd views on buffet etiquette!

I've spoken to hubby-to-be about the formal nights and although he doesn't own a tux he is more than happy to buy and wear one! He has some lovely smart suits, but why not take the opportunity to properly dress up. I actually prefer a stricter dress code- even if it's just 'everyone in shorts and t shirts'. You're right about the mix of dress on NCL especially on their 'dress up or not' nights- well which is it then?! Lol. Just tell me what to wear already so I don't look odd. Most nights he wore chinos and a short sleeve shirt and I wore a maxi dress so I imagine that would work for the casual nights on P&O.

I was 34 on our first P&O cruise and we still found the age demographic on board was a lot younger than we anticipated (a lot of couples/families our age or a bit older - we didn't go away in the school holidays). We still thoroughly enjoyed it and loved being able to drop the kids off at the kids' club and just sit by the bar, watching the world go by.

Obviously it's different in every circumstance but I'd imagine the average age on fly cruises is lower as elderly people may not be keen to fly. Britannia and Azura are also family/modern ships.

Just book it!

Dan

I'm laughing at the buffet thing- there is a thread about queuing on the Royal boards right now and the Americans do seem to hold some rather odd views on buffet etiquette!

I fear they would have a complete meltdown if they experienced the buffet on an Italian Costa ship.

I'm mid forties now but first started cruising in my late thirties, we enjoy NCL, P&O and Celebrity. As you say NCL is very casual and has great entertainment but I have equally enjoyed our P&O experience. We loved The Glasshouse wine bar on the Azura, great spot for lunch or pre dinner drinks and the Retreat area is lovely if you would like to enjoy a quiet adult only space. A big plus for us and the reason we have booked Britannia for February 2018 is the fly cruise element and the ability to fly from our local regional airport (Birmingham). We have cruised the Caribbean with NCL and Celebrity but are looking forward to flying into Barbados rather than having all the hassle with ESTAs/immigration for USA travel. Further plus points for P&O:

You can bring wine onboard and bottled water,unlike NCL, and much lower daily service charges than the American cruise lines. Additionally, you get a kettle in your cabin, brilliant if you love your tea like me, UK sockets too - so no worries about packing adaptors etc. Small points but they all add to the experience for us.

I'm mid forties now but first started cruising in my late thirties, we enjoy NCL, P&O and Celebrity. As you say NCL is very casual and has great entertainment but I have equally enjoyed our P&O experience. We loved The Glasshouse wine bar on the Azura, great spot for lunch or pre dinner drinks and the Retreat area is lovely if you would like to enjoy a quiet adult only space. A big plus for us and the reason we have booked Britannia for February 2018 is the fly cruise element and the ability to fly from our local regional airport (Birmingham). We have cruised the Caribbean with NCL and Celebrity but are looking forward to flying into Barbados rather than having all the hassle with ESTAs/immigration for USA travel. Further plus points for P&O:

You can bring wine onboard and bottled water,unlike NCL, and much lower daily service charges than the American cruise lines. Additionally, you get a kettle in your cabin, brilliant if you love your tea like me, UK sockets too - so no worries about packing adaptors etc. Small points but they all add to the experience for us.

Wine and spirits as well :). :). Don't forget the Gin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you! All very valid plus points. Certainly an advantage being able to bring your own drinks on board, and some of the other plus points I didn't even think about

Hi, sorry to join this conversation a bit late but if it's just opinion your after based on personal experience I would probably look elsewhere if I was 31 (now 49) as entertainment isn't that geared up towards the younger age groups. I've been cruising for the last eight or nine years or so and have tried various lines such as the big American ones like Disney and RCI and must admit those cater for a much wider age range than P&O does. I do cruise with P&O if only to feel young (just joking of course no offence intended to any on this thread) but remembering as I was in my early 30's I would have found them a bit boring but hey ho everyone is different and of course this is just an opinion. Hope you find something good though.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

Hi, sorry to join this conversation a bit late but if it's just opinion your after based on personal experience I would probably look elsewhere if I was 31 (now 49) as entertainment isn't that geared up towards the younger age groups. I've been cruising for the last eight or nine years or so and have tried various lines such as the big American ones like Disney and RCI and must admit those cater for a much wider age range than P&O does. I do cruise with P&O if only to feel young (just joking of course no offence intended to any on this thread) but remembering as I was in my early 30's I would have found them a bit boring but hey ho everyone is different and of course this is just an opinion. Hope you find something good though.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

Thank you for your honest advice! The entertainment aspect is my biggest concern. We absolutey loved the entertainment on NCL and it was probably the best aspect of our cruise. The P&O itineraries and pricing are very attractive but we need to reconcile ourself that the entertainment won't be in the same class!

Thank you for your honest advice! The entertainment aspect is my biggest concern. We absolutey loved the entertainment on NCL and it was probably the best aspect of our cruise. The P&O itineraries and pricing are very attractive but we need to reconcile ourself that the entertainment won't be in the same class!

You're welcome, I might add that the evening entertainment is really quite good it's just the daytime stuff that's a bit 'pants' especially if the weather is poor, you could be wandering around looking for something to do as most 'activities' tend to be aimed at the more 'mature' passenger. Although you might like a bit of towel folding etc. Let's put it this way, on one P&O cruise I was on I took part in a quiz and the prize was (wait for it) a pension book holder (serious) plus there was also an organised discussion on euthanasia Jesus eh? That was a laugh a minute. (I'm honestly not making this up)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

You're welcome, I might add that the evening entertainment is really quite good it's just the daytime stuff that's a bit 'pants' especially if the weather is poor, you could be wandering around looking for something to do as most 'activities' tend to be aimed at the more 'mature' passenger. Although you might like a bit of towel folding etc. Let's put it this way, on one P&O cruise I was on I took part in a quiz and the prize was (wait for it) a pension book holder (serious) plus there was also an organised discussion on euthanasia Jesus eh? That was a laugh a minute. (I'm honestly not making this up)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

You can't make that up haha! And I thought the accupuncture seminars on NCL were bad lol. To be fair we are fairly good at entertaining ourselves during the day. The only day activities we did on NCL were dance classes- do you have them on P&O? We are complete beginners who just enjoy trying the classes for a laugh, not serious ballroom dancers or anything!

You can't make that up haha! And I thought the accupuncture seminars on NCL were bad lol. To be fair we are fairly good at entertaining ourselves during the day. The only day activities we did on NCL were dance classes- do you have them on P&O? We are complete beginners who just enjoy trying the classes for a laugh, not serious ballroom dancers or anything!

Yes usually every day. There is a lot of it about.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app