pros and cons repositioning

esimon

50 minutes to clean a standard room? My gosh, we've been on the balcony many times when the stewards come in to clean the room, and it is never that long - certainly less than half an hour - and yet the room is left clean and sparkling and the bathroom floor washed. Mind you, I could see it taking that long if it was a room full of teenagers!:D

Try as I might, after a cruise especially, I could never get our girls to move any faster. [emoji1304]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree - there are other repositioning cruises besides TA's.

I love TA's and continue on. I wouldn't want to do the San Diego to Vancouver/Seattle but I am not sure if that is consdiered repositioning or not? I think it is since they are changing to Alaska?

We did a Fort Lauderdale, Panama Canal cruise a couple years ago. Since we live in Washington, we stayed on board all the way to Vancouver BC. What we noticed was the change in energy that happened as 1/3 of the passengers left in San Diego and were replaced with people taking a three day cruise. When you are on a longer cruise (18 days I think) most of the passengers are retired and things are rather quiet and calm. On a three day cruise, party seems to be the goal. It was interesting to watch! I also felt that the service/entertainment was reduced for those three days.

50 minutes to clean a standard room? My gosh, we've been on the balcony many times when the stewards come in to clean the room, and it is never that long - certainly less than half an hour - and yet the room is left clean and sparkling and the bathroom floor washed. Mind you, I could see it taking that long if it was a room full of teenagers!:D

I'll give you the example from my day with the housekeeper. The standard room is 440-485 sq ft. A 1 bedroom suite is about 900 sq. ft. In both: Large bathrooms with both soaking tubs and a shower that can fit 2 people (if you want). A bedroom with 1 king or 1 queens, a fireplace, desk, sitting area. After the cleaning, the inspectress comes by with white cloths to check for dust, the correct number of hangers (4 plain, 4 clip, 3 satin with a sachet and they have to be placed in the correct order), 2 robes, in the desk - 10 paper clips, 1 pen, 1 pencil, whiteout, 4 envelope and pieces of stationary, a note pad on top of desk with a pen, etc. Clean shelf paper liners in all drawers, breakfast order tag, 3 current magazines, 1 current bookmark (they are rotated quarterly). The toiletries in the bathroom must be lined up in a specific way. On the bar - 2 hiballs, 2 flutes, 2 generic wine, 8 napkins, 4 swizzles, corkscrew. Etc... For the suite, add in extras for the kitchen and dining area (must have at least 6 half & half shots in the fridge, coffees, teas, full dinner service for 6...Plus the suite has an extra half bath to clean. It's far more than just a simple clean that most run-of-the-mill hotels/motels would do.

And, thank for the explanation why some folks from up North would stay on for the short ending of the cruise. I also would rather cruise to Vancouver than to suffer through TSA at the airport!!!

Last summer I did a back to back TA on the QM2. Out of 16 days, only two ports! Under normal circumstances, this would be too much, even for me.

My motivation was to recouperatw from a broken hip. My house was undergoing a major renovation. Having my suite tidied twice a day, my bedmade, fresh towels and linens,,, so nice! And a fabulous spa, huge library helped to pass the time.

Going up and down the nice wide carpeted stairs was good rehab. And actually several of the person trainers in the gym had degrees in PT.

Three laps around the promenade makes a mile.

I boarded on crutches and walked off!

My daughter lost five lbs and studied for her boards (OT).

She passed!

Since this is only a short 4 day relaxation trip, I plan to do what I do on land: Make a Green Choice. Most hotel chains have a program where, if you forego daily service (you may still call if you need something), you are rewarded with points or F&B credits. Starwood is great at this. I had to stay a month at a Westin while on company business. Did the MAGC; they do require full service every 4 days if you opt in. Perfectly fine for me. I know, some of you will say "I'm on vacation and I want the full 2xday service because it's here and I "paid" for it". That's OK.

I plan on informing my stewarding team that I do not require daily service and they can take the time they would use on my cabin and put it toward some cabin of an extended cruise guest who would need extra care. I'll tip in advance what I would normally leave for them and thank them for their hard work.

I wish more cruise lines would offer a program like this. Less washing, less detergents introduced, less waste.

I plan on informing my stewarding team that I do not require daily service and they can take the time they would use on my cabin and put it toward some cabin of an extended cruise guest who would need extra care. I'll tip in advance what I would normally leave for them and thank them for their hard work.

Be sure to inform their supervisor---in writing---of that, too. Should the supervisor do a spot inspection, and things aren't the way they should be, the steward could get in trouble. Do try to alleviate that problem for him.

If the towels or sheets are scheduled to be changed anyway, then you should also let the steward in to do that. Those are changed on a schedule, whether you want them changed or not.

Be sure to inform their supervisor---in writing---of that, too. Should the supervisor do a spot inspection, and things aren't the way they should be, the steward could get in trouble. Do try to alleviate that problem for him.

If the towels or sheets are scheduled to be changed anyway, then you should also let the steward in to do that. Those are changed on a schedule, whether you want them changed or not.

Good points RuthC. I'm just wondering too, if not having the room serviced at least daily wouldn't be making a lot more work for the stewards on the turn around day? I seem to recall someone on a cruise doing that and our stewards very concerned.

Ruth, thank for those pointers. I will reach out to the Stewarding Supervisor with this request. If there is some bare minimum that needs to be done daily, I will happily allow it. I just don't need twice a day fussing, new towels, a cute towel animal, the bed remade, etc.

I'm a neatnik when I travel. You can't tell the difference in a room after the first night and after the 5th night. I keep things in their cubes and folders and not laying around. I am capable of putting things in a trash can after using. I do call housekeeping to say they can take my trash. I don't use a new towel every time I take a shower at home, so I don't need to away from home.

I know that some people love being waited on hand and foot on vacation. That has never been me. I'm an odd duck and make no apologies for it.