Seven Seas Versus Explorer Suite On Explorer

We had a SS1 Suite booked for our cruise on the Explorer in January, and it was bumped up to Explorer Suite status when certain categories were changed. We loved the space, but feel the current Seven Seas Suite (formerly a SS2) may work for an upcoming cruise. We would appreciate any comments on the Seven Seas Suite. We are thinking of SS1010. Also - any problems with that being under the Pool Bar area?

First, I find your question the most complex that I have read on CC because of what you mentioned ......... some Seven Seas Suites being upgraded to Explorer Suites. As you likely know, we toured every suite level on the Explorer and found the Seven Seas Suites to be absolutely beautiful. However, the Seven Seas Suite that we toured and booked (and later cancelled) is now an Explorer Suite. And, reviews of the smaller Seven Seas Suites are not positive! Definitely a concern.

We would not book a suite under anywhere under the pool deck (been there - done that). The noises from the pool deck is simply too disruptive (on any ship).

I would definitely speak with your TA and get exact dimensions of any suite that you would like to book on the Explorer.

The Regent website is not accurate in terms of Seven Seas Suites and Explorer Suites on the Explorer. It still says that Explorer Suites have 2 bathrooms (which was true until some Seven Seas Suites became Explorer Suites and they only have 1 1/2 baths). And, the Seven Seas Suites indicate 1 1/2 baths while some of them only have 1 bath.

I think you are understanding why this question is so complex.

We are currently in 919 which is a SS1 that is regraded as an Explorer Suite. We too rejected the SS suites on Deck 10 as we have had bad experiences in being beneath the pool deck.

Now that the previous SS1 have been upgraded and up priced to Explorer category we would be minded to go for the SS suites on Deck 9 in the future (922/923) - same suites as the regraded SS1 suites, not below the pool, but not benefitting from the double depth veranda - but significantly less £/$

We are currently in 919 which is a SS1 that is regraded as an Explorer Suite. We too rejected the SS suites on Deck 10 as we have had bad experiences in being beneath the pool deck.

Now that the previous SS1 have been upgraded and up priced to Explorer category we would be minded to go for the SS suites on Deck 9 in the future (922/923) - same suites as the regraded SS1 suites, not below the pool, but not benefitting from the double depth veranda - but significantly less £/$

Appreciate your explanation. Do you have 1 1/2 baths?

Appreciate your explanation. Do you have 1 1/2 baths?

Thanks to TC and machotspur for your input. TC - one of the Regent catalogs we have specifically mentions that only 701, 702, 801 and 802 have one bathroom.

We are well aware of the size of the suites and learned many years ago that staying under a pool deck where the loungers are and/or decks are to be washed early each morning is not so smart. We really just want to get an idea what a current Seven Seas Suite (formerly an SS2 such as 1010) looks like. We are simply torn between doing a former SS1 suite on Deck 12 again or saving some cash by doing a former SS2 on Deck 9 or 10. Only you and a handful of people who had interest in the reclassification will probably have a clue what we are talking about. Thanks again!

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

The traditional 1/2 bath has a lavatory (sink) and a toilet. Is this what you mean when you say there is an additional "lavatory" in the entrance lobby (i.e., a sink and toilet)?

We're not machotspur but we did have the same accommodations, and the answer is yes - a sink and toilet.

The traditional 1/2 bath has a lavatory (sink) and a toilet. Is this what you mean when you say there is an additional "lavatory" in the entrance lobby (i.e., a sink and toilet)?

Indeed it is a toilet & a sink. I was being unintentionally snobbish.

In years gone by in the U.K. the upper classes had a lavatory & the rest of us a toilet :)

I would definitely speak with your TA and get exact dimensions of any suite that you would like to book on the Explorer.

We did - plus we did our own research. The former SS1 suites measure 655 square feet inside. The former SS2 suites measure 577 square feet inside. The difference is 78 square feet. What was trimmed in the smaller suites? Many thanks for any information!

We did - plus we did our own research. The former SS1 suites measure 655 square feet inside. The former SS2 suites measure 577 square feet inside. The difference is 78 square feet. What was trimmed in the smaller suites? Many thanks for any information!

You're partially correct. Some of the former SS2 suites (701, 702, 801 and 802) measure 577 ft.² inside, while others (922, 923, 1010 and 1011) measure 655 ft.² inside.

I am very interested in this discussion because we have just booked an Explorer Suite (918) for a Panama Canal cruise in March 2019. I had a very hard time figuring out the difference between the Seven Seas Suites and the Explorer Suites from the Deck Plans. And I definitely want a second full bath plus given the itinerary the largest possible balcony/terrace. My TA had a good look at things and we ended up booking 918. We, too, have had experience of being under the pool deck on the Regent Navigator. That was bearable but not perfect... On Deck 9 we won't have that concern. Mike Moore was also very helpful - got me some additional info about the suite. So I hope we have done the right thing. Any comments?

I have the deck plan in front of me from before some Seven Seas Suites became Explorer Suites. So, 918 was a Seven Seas Suite. This means that it has 1 1/2 baths instead of 2 full bathrooms and is smaller than the original Explorer Suites (the original Explorer Suites were 1,277 - 1,349 sq. ft. while the original Seven Seas Suites were from 814-918 sq. ft.)

We loved the original Explorer Suites but they were in a poor position (under the pool deck or under the bridge. The original Explorer suites are 901, 902, 1012, 1015. As an interesting side note, the original Explorer suites are the only ships on the ship that have a bidet.

Edited by Travelcat2

I, too, looked at the deck plans. But Mike Moore (and my TA) told me they are not accurate and that 918 has two full bathrooms... personally I could care less about a bidet. I am not French - I am Swiss! Bidets are for watering your plants in... and I have no plans to bring my plants on board.

I think some revision/updating to the plans is needed...

I, too, looked at the deck plans. But Mike Moore (and my TA) told me they are not accurate and that 918 has two full bathrooms... personally I could care less about a bidet. I am not French - I am Swiss! Bidets are for watering your plants in... and I have no plans to bring my plants on board.

I think some revision/updating to the plans is needed...

I was in 918 on the November transatlantic. I can assure you that the suite only has 1 1/2 bathrooms, not two full bathrooms. Mike Moore and your TA are in error. The half bathroom only contains a sink and a toilet.

If you can get past your requirement of two full bathrooms, I'm sure you'll enjoy 918 as much as we did.

Edited by DaveFr

All that I can say is that I personally toured an Explorer Suite and a large Seven Seas Suite (1011 - now an Explorer Suite -- we even booked the suite but had to cancel). It had 1 1/2 baths. Neither the description on Regent's website (link https://www.rssc.com/ships/explorer.aspx ) nor Regent's "books" that I refer to as my "cruise bible" have ever shown Seven Seas Suites with two full bathrooms. Obviously I have not been in all of the Explorer suites but would be surprised if the former Seven Seas Suites now have 2 full bathrooms.

The Explorer suite that I toured was almost identical to the Grand Suite - except for the location (BTW, I didn't know that bidets were preferred in only certain countries since I've seen them in Italy and many other countries - my British DH thinks that they are great while I agree with you and would put plants in it:D)

When we were going to book a Seven Seas Suite, our TA gave us available suite numbers for the Seven Seas Suites with and without 1 1/2 baths. Could they have built a shower or tub into the converted Seven Seas Suites? I suppose anything is possible.

I look forward to when someone actually stays in one of the converted Explorer Suites to learn if there are, in fact, two full bathrooms. As I said, the only suite I know 100% had only 1 1/2 baths was 1011 (formerly a Seven Seas Suite).

P.S. I just looked at the website again --- this time for the Explorer Suites. Apparently the former Explorer Suites are now Grand Suites (which pretty much makes sense since they were almost identical). Now people need to be warned about the poor location of these four suites.

As I said in my first post on this thread, Seven Seas Suites is the most complicated thing to respond to that I have encountered on Cruise Critic.

I was in 918 on the November transatlantic. I can assure you that the suite only has 1 1/2 bathrooms, not two bathrooms. Mike Moore and your TA are in error. The half bathroom only contains a sink and a toilet.

If you can get past your requirement of two full bathrooms, I'm sure you'll enjoy 918 as much as we did.

Sorry that I missed your post. Now there are two of us that can confirm that the information provided by Regent and the TA was incorrect!

While I had no problem booking a Seven Seas Suite ( loved the layout), I would not book it at the increased pricing. As much as I adore the Explorer, I am having difficulty with suites. The Grand Suites have furniture that doesn't fit in the living room/dining room but has a amazing bathroom (one of two). I don't like the PH suites at all because of the small closet but love the bathroom and closet in the Concierge, F1 and F2 suites. Now, the Seven Seas Suites are so confusing that I'll have to wait and see what passengers think of them.

(BTW, I didn't know that bidets were preferred in only certain countries since I've seen them in Italy and many other countries - my British DH thinks that they are great while I agree with you and would put plants in it:D)

I'm a Brit and think that bidets are for washing your feet (or flip-flops) in 😜

I was in 918 on the November transatlantic. I can assure you that the suite only has 1 1/2 bathrooms, not two full bathrooms. Mike Moore and your TA are in error. The half bathroom only contains a sink and a toilet.

I confirm that DaveFr's report (above) of his experience is still true today. As advised earlier in the thread we are currently in 919, which has 1.5 bathrooms. Our butler has confirmed that 918 is identical.

Any further info required regarding this suite do let me know - we are in 919 for another 2 weeks.

Thank you all for the very informative replies - and thank you Jackie for agreeing with me about the bidets! (I know the Italians like them too...but since 70% of us Swiss are German-speaking our attitude probably comes from the north rather than the south...!)

I think - taking all into account - we will stick with 918. It sounds lovely. And on the Mariner when we were in a SS Aft suite we had the same set up - one full bath and one loo and wash basin. We can deal with that. The 918 balcony looks amazing...and from prior experience with the Panama Canal cruise that is where we will spend a LOT of time.