Vancouver Embarcation Question

canusa

We are doing an Alaskan cruise from Vancouver and are wondering what is the best time to arrive at the port. We have only cruised from FLL so we know the routine there. There will be 3 ships sailing that day.

We are doing an Alaskan cruise from Vancouver and are wondering what is the best time to arrive at the port. We have only cruised from FLL so we know the routine there. There will be 3 ships sailing that day.

Its pretty much the same.

We like to get on asap........

We have cruised out of Vancouver many times and always arrive around 10:30.

Barring any issues from the prior cruise disembarkation.........boarding begins around Noon.

Three ship days in Vancouver can be a nightmare! There are two plans of attack: Arrive early morning (10ish) and drop your luggage off and settle in until you board OR arrive early afternoon (2pm) and chances are you'll have a shorter wait. Whatever you decide, try to avoid being directed upstairs for luggage drop off - this usually happens downstairs where the shuttle buses load/ unload. Good Luck!

Three ship days in Vancouver can be a nightmare! There are two plans of attack: Arrive early morning (10ish) and drop your luggage off and settle in until you board OR arrive early afternoon (2pm) and chances are you'll have a shorter wait. Whatever you decide, try to avoid being directed upstairs for luggage drop off - this usually happens downstairs where the shuttle buses load/ unload. Good Luck!

If I am there I ain't leavin.

I agree Vancouver can be a real problem on embarkation. Last year it took us close to two hours to embark most of that time was standing in line. We went through American passport control in Vancouver which was nice. But passengers from our ship and two others were also in line. Once past passport control it was better but still pretty slow. We arrived about 11:30. I guess that would be a bad time. It was about 1:30 or so when we finally got on board.

I live in Vancouver and have sailed out of Vancouver probably over 20 times. I would say 70% of the time it is smooth sailing and it is "normal" procedures. The other 30% can be slow. This mainly happens when there are 3 or more ships in port and when they are doing lots of the short coastal cruises when most bring just carryon bags and want to get on asap.

Issue is usually Customs as there are only so many US agents to see and when there are three ships in those agents need to clear everyone off the ships first then start on those embarking.

Remember Vancouver port is one big building (Canada Place) and it is where the ships arrive. It handles all the ships. Unlike FLL where each ship "normally" has only port building with dedicated passengers for that ship and agents for customs. At Canada Place you could have three cruise lines, three sets of passengers all needing to go thru security, customs then to their designated ship.

But if you are there and bring your patience then you are good to go.

If it is really crazy i too agree, just drop your bags and walk and enjoy the city. Everything is very close by and great spot for meals, shopping and touring. And remember the US dollar is very strong and goes very far here.

Since you know it's a three-ship day I would abandon trying to get on early. If you're early enough to actually beat the crowds, you will have to sit around for 90-120mins before the boarding process even begins. So even if you are literally first in all the queues and breeze right on through, it's still a 2 hour+ end-to-end experience.

OTOH, turn up as late as possible and your end-to-end is 20 minutes - PLUS you get a full morning touring a fantastic city and a lunch of your choice on land! Downside is of course you miss your 'free' onboard lunch - but unless you value your time at a very low rate or love waiting around Later is Always Better (NB: be sure to arrive 90mins before official leaving time - but since there are many things to see within a few minutes walk of the pier, it's very easy to ensure that you have zero risk of being too late to be allowed to board!)

If you are one of those folks who just absolutely MUST be onboard as soon as possible for it to feel like a real cruise to you, aim for 9:45am at Canada Place (I assume as a Floridian that you're arriving the day before and overnighting, so you can choose to come to the pier at any time, otherwise you'd have said something about 'my flight arrives at Xam, should I go straight to the pier?').

Longshoremen in theory do not have to start accepting bags from embarking pax until as late as 10am, but even on a three ship days they usually begin taking them earlier. A lot of folks like to aim for the 10-10:30am slot, so arrive at 9:45am and you'll beat them - but have a worst-case of 15mins wait at the conveyors until you can hand over your bags.

The worst thing you can do is show up at noon - that's when all the Amtrak-arriving people start rolling in, so queue-time peaks then. Generally 11am-1pm is always busy, but on a 3 ship day that can stretch out until 2pm or so.

I am one who would stay at the Pan Pacific Hotel - right next door to the port and I'd do something fun such as schedule a spa treatment for embarkation morning or go to lunch at the hotel, leave my bags with the bellmen, then go later to check in for my cruise. There are too many great things to do in Vancouver to sit cooped up in the cruise terminal for hours. That would be a total waste in such an amazing city!

I am one who would stay at the Pan Pacific Hotel - right next door to the port and I'd do something fun such as schedule a spa treatment for embarkation morning or go to lunch at the hotel, leave my bags with the bellmen, then go later to check in for my cruise. There are too many great things to do in Vancouver to sit cooped up in the cruise terminal for hours. That would be a total waste in such an amazing city!

Love the PP. Elevator down to the ship!! :D

I live in Vancouver and have sailed out of Vancouver probably over 20 times. I would say 70% of the time it is smooth sailing and it is "normal" procedures. The other 30% can be slow. This mainly happens when there are 3 or more ships in port and when they are doing lots of the short coastal cruises when most bring just carryon bags and want to get on asap.

Issue is usually Customs as there are only so many US agents to see and when there are three ships in those agents need to clear everyone off the ships first then start on those embarking.

Remember Vancouver port is one big building (Canada Place) and it is where the ships arrive. It handles all the ships. Unlike FLL where each ship "normally" has only port building with dedicated passengers for that ship and agents for customs. At Canada Place you could have three cruise lines, three sets of passengers all needing to go thru security, customs then to their designated ship.

But if you are there and bring your patience then you are good to go.

If it is really crazy i too agree, just drop your bags and walk and enjoy the city. Everything is very close by and great spot for meals, shopping and touring. And remember the US dollar is very strong and goes very far here.

Currently visiting family in Vancouver. Who do we talk to in order to stop the rain? Going to BCIT later then Chinatown. Some small fishing village tomorrow and then attempt to fly to the East Coast on Tuesday.

Currently visiting family in Vancouver. Who do we talk to in order to stop the rain? Going to BCIT later then Chinatown. Some small fishing village tomorrow and then attempt to fly to the East Coast on Tuesday.

Just got in from grocery shopping, it's brutal out there right now...sorry :). Enjoy the rest of your stay.

Thanks everyone for the tips. We live just outside Vancouver in Chilliwack so will drive in same day to the airport, park and take the Skytrain to Harbour front. We don't need to tour since we are frequently in Vancouver. Looks like we will aim to be at the port for 10- 10:30 AM.

We are always the first ones to check in. I love to get to the port early. My DH calls it hurry up and wait. Only one time did we have a long wait and it was due to bad weather and our ship was very late arriving to port. It was a Disney cruise and they had all the characters out with us to entertain the kids, also had a Disney movie playing.

OP is from Chilliwack which is in BC (not Florida as someone thought) so being so close to Vancouver I would bet they have seen the sights.

My bad - saw the mention of only have cruised from FLL, didn't check if OP had location in their header! Still, a morning in Vancouver should be a treat for someone from the 'wack;-)

The lines at Canada Place can be crazy. Get there around 10:30-11:00. Is your ship sailing out of Canada Place? Or Ballantyne Pier?

Ballantyne has not been used for cruise ships in the past, at least, 2 years.

While at Canada Place, we would highly recommend that you take advantage of FLY OVER CANADA; it is well worth the money (and not very expensive). The photography is fantastic during the "ride". If you are in Vancouver for the day, the HO/HO bus is a great way to see the wonderful city. Loved Stanley Park too!:)

While at Canada Place, we would highly recommend that you take advantage of FLY OVER CANADA; it is well worth the money (and not very expensive). The photography is fantastic during the "ride". If you are in Vancouver for the day, the HO/HO bus is a great way to see the wonderful city. Loved Stanley Park too!:)

The OP is from Chilliwack which in reality makes them 'locals'. Even though they haven't cruised out of Canada Place they're probably very familiar with everything about the city. :D